Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA or CANADA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am currently trying to arrange our mid march break and would usually ski in france or austria.
So many people have advised me to try USA or CANADA so I was thinking of going for it this year.
Was thinking either Whistler or Banff in Canada or any resorts in the Denver area Vail,Winter Park or Breckenridge.
Can anybody help me on making the choice as I simply don't have a clue on which is the better option.
Somebody has mentioned the weather in March and that it could be alot colder in Canada but I am not sure ?
Any help would be much appreciated..................
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler mid March is a bit risky - they often get rain and slush out on the coastal mountains late season, usually affecting the town and lower slopes. Banff should be better at that time, it's usually much colder in Alberta. Never been to Vail etc so can't really compare.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Breckenridge is usually sweet right through to April closing, the spring snow is light and fluffy & crowds are very low.
But then, on the flip side we're having a killer season out here in Whistler now. Touch and go.. but maybe I'd go with the higher altitude Rockies resorts just cos we are coastal and low.. Ahh but then the glacier here is skiable until end of July!

I think I've confused myself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dc10, This is where I attract flak. Whistler if you like being rained on, Breckenridge if you want Altitude sickness.
Banff is good, but there are lots of other good Colorado and US rockies resorts, including Vail, Aspen, Steamboat, JH etc etc etc...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this has really confused me too ! Hope Whistler (when I am going because every one says it is great out there) in Mid Feb is not as risky as mid March !!! Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, It is a great hill, and in fairness it was more than 10 years ago I last went there, but the lower portions and the village (s) do attract rain, being rather close to the pacific. Mid feb sounds the best time to go to me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
phew !! thanks for that, it is costing me a fortune to go. Glad I decided on Feb (by luck) for Whistler and March for Verbier, and not the other way round !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want a real contrast to European resorts, Big Sky should be high on your list. With neighbouring Moonlight Basin (you can buy a shared pass) it's the USA's largest ski area but it's so isolated that it only attracts about 3000 skiers a day. It's a long way to go (normally you need to take 3 flights in each direction) but it's worth it if you like empty trails, empty lifts and powder.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 6-01-07 17:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dc10, I have done March in Banff on a very hot bad season there was still plenty of snow but a bit heavy at the end of the day. Sunshine was still fine, Lake Louise suffered more on the front side but the back bowls were great. March in Banff was not that cold but it was a warm year when I went.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Since the base at Whistler is about 1800 ft , rain in the village is a chance you take whenever you visit . I have been rained on badly in January, but we have had big snow dumps in April.

Been there 4or 5 times in March/April and had good skiing every time. If there is an effect from rain it is usually the village or the lower half of the mountain (which is really only used to go home at the end of the day).

What you do get is the potential for this type of snow forecast for this weekend

Friday..Snow. Alpine High Minus 4. Snowfall Accumulation 15 To 25 Cm. Freezing Level Near Valley Bottom.
Mountain Top Winds Southwest 40 Km/H Gusting To 60.

Extended Forecast For Whistler - Blackcomb.
Saturday.. A Few Flurries. Snowfall Accumulation 10 To 15 Cm.
Freezing Level 750 Metres.
Sunday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 10 To 20 Cm. Freezing Level Near Valley Bottom.
Monday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 30 To 40 Cm. Freezing Level 1500 Metres.

Assuming it is correct that is 65-100cm over 4 days on top of a base at present of 116inches (not cms). That is I think a bit better than the Alps
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think anyone's going to dispute Whistler is the place to be right now. But it wouldn't be my top North American choice for mid March. I was there early last March after a huge early season and it rained several times, trashing many of the lower slopes and the snow falling higher up was wet and heavy. It was still pretty good, but I've seen better. Chances are it will be fine in March, but the fact remains that it's prone to warm wet coastal weather. I'd be heading further inland at that time of year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, as a matter of interest where u staying in Whistler?

Have never been,but planning for feb 2008 (i know long way off,but wanted to do something special for 15th wedding anniv) and can't make my mind up on where to stay,like the look of the Marriott at blackcombe

Would be interested in a report when u get back wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LIAMJ, I am staying in North Village in an apartment with a nice private balcony with mini plunge pool, can not remember the name though. I always try to collect bits of info, hotel cards etc. when I go away so I will pass on whatever I have, if you remind me at the end of Feb. I will try to post a report, but have not yet worked out how to put pictures on this site! Can not wait to go now !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, think i may have to console myself with just the odd w'end skiing this year,so am very jealous!....have a good trip
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LIAMJ, the Marriott in Blackcomb is up a quiet, windy road and will probably be very quiet. You'll have to rely on the free bus that does the Painted Cliff Road circuit. It's very frequent so it's not all that bad, but if it's cold, you'll know after waiting for 10 minutes!

You might consider somewhere in the north village if you want to live a little closer to the shops, unless of course you don't mind the walk/bus.

I think it's better to stay in Blackcomb if you like the peace and quiet than in Whistler Creek because that's a bit out of town and you may have to fork out for the bus to get there.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn (Sunspree) which is in the middle of town when we went to Whistler for the first time and had a room overlooking GarFinkels nightclub which wasn't good for getting over the jet-lag... Smile
snow report
LIAMJ, Try the Pan Pacific Mountainside hotel in Whistler. It's quiet and literally at the foot of both main Gondolas out of Whistler. Only decision in the morning is which Gondola to get on - Whistler or Blackcomb? Not exactly the cheapest option, but perfect for a wedding anniv.
snow report
I've skied Sunshine Village and Lake Louise as late as 20th April, although Norquay was closed by then. IMHO, Canada has more of a 'frontier' feel about it; Vail and Summit County (Breckenridge, Keystone etc), are more extensive.
latest report
LIAMJ

If you want apartments as opposed to hotel rooms try

http://www.alluradirect.com/

I have used it three times now with no problem at all. The units are privately owned so you deal, via the site, with the owner. Because of that you dont pay hotel tax so you get that benefit. Against that, you dont get the sort of facilities that hotels will give If however you want more than a hotel room eg a one bed apartment with kitchen etc you will find it there.
ski holidays
aluradirect.com is where I booked my apartment, 2 bedrooms, living room etc. only two of us going at the moment but it sleeps 6 quite easy !
snow report
any recommendations for super cheap last minute accomodation in Whistler. I am tempted to think outside of the box and may go there in 2 weeks instead of the alps (the exchange rate is great and the snow, well snowHead ). However, its still costly and just want a bed to sleep in basically (ill be on my own)!

is it going to be too cold at the end of jan tho, and what are the crowds like?

oh, and is it any good?! Shocked
ski holidays
I live in Vancouver and go to whistler alot, and march is probably my favourite month for whistler . . . I wouldn't call it particularly risky. You will get some rain in the village, but not in the high alpine which is where you ski anyways.
latest report
ponder, and therein lies the problem which divides skiers. I simply do not want to be rained on on a ski holiday... anywhere... however good the snow is up top. And it does make me wonder, since the bottom third of the mountain at the front, as far as I remember [and I am probably wrong] is pretty boring, why the village isn't further up the hill? Is it just that they wanted to have a really impressive "vertical" for advertising purposes?

However you are really lucky living near it. Wish I was that close, and Vancouver is a top city.
latest report
"any recommendations for super cheap last minute accomodation in Whistler."

Not sure that this exists, but since I have never left things until the very last minute, I dont know. Price seems to vary on (1) the size of the place and (2) the proximity to the base. Thus the supercheap, if it exists, will be small and distant (though maybe still convenient to the bus system) Very broadly speaking Whistler Creekside will be cheaper than Whistler Village. You can access Whistler Mountain from Creekside but not Blackcomb....for that you need to get a bus. If you want to go really cheap then Squamish or Pemberton may suit (both require you to drive some distance to Whistler)

"is it going to be too cold at the end of jan " Been there three times in Jan and going again in 3 weeks. In my experience, no. If the Aussies can come (in numbers) from their Summer and survive, we can too.

"what are the crowds like?" Should be ok. Weekends can get busy with the influx from Vancouver/Seattle but otherwise it should be ok. There are no public holidays (I think) until mid February and the schools are in session so the weekdays should be ok.

"oh, and is it any good?! "........yes, but if ,like someone above you positively do not want to see any rain, anywhere, anytime then it may not be your cup of tea. It will (in my experience) almost certainly be raining in Vancouver and it could well be raining a lot in the village. That will mean snow on the upper mountain.
snow conditions
Well I realise other years have meant rain, rain, rain for Whistler, but the good news is we've only had 2 - 3 days rain max, this winter so far. And we missed the October rains - which usually last the whole month - and only ended up with 5 days near the end of the month.
So - global warming, pineapple expresses or just a damn good season, I don't know that this snow is gonna end! Today was about as much powder as I have ever ridden & right now, my legs are so exhausted I can't move. And looking outside, I see it's just starting to dump snow again!! Razz
latest report
WhistlerBubble, my first day off tomorrow

45 days, and its time for just 1 day, no matter how good the powder
snow report
I've only been to whistler and haven't too many bad words to say against it. went last year end Jan and yes, on occasion, there was rain the village but this makes no difference to the quality of snow up top and the lift system at both blackcomb and whistler mean you can easily stay high.

if you want to do more research on the conditions, this site is a good place to start for historical snow conditions in North America, including Canada

http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/
ski holidays
ok i lied.

23 cms fresh onto top of what we had, so hiked up for fresh lines this afternoon (alpine was officially closed).

sweet powder and faces shots all the way down to the ski out.

more on the way, life is hard...

Are you booked to come out yet?
ski holidays
tomski01, Just back from all that powder (and one day of rain). Stayed at Alpine Lodge in a 4 person dorm room at 50CD a night. Continental breakfast, jacuzzi, steam room, huge common room, small guest kitchen. Transfer to the pistes by local bus(1.50CD) about 12-15mins or sometimes the lodge bus, 8mins. www.alpinelodge.com
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have booked myself some flights out on the 18th returning on the 31st. I am planning a bit of a tour of some resorts in BC and Alberta and visiting some friends / other local highlights. This means i am 'scheduled' to have 3 days at whistler Fri - Sun (19th - 21st).

Is it likely to be really busy and unenjoyable on the weekend, or is it not too bad? (I know its weather dependent, but presuming the weather is ok!)

Thanks for any help.
snow report
Tks for the info guys, uktrailmonster, like the look of the Pan Pacific Mountainside ,will check them out
ski holidays
Quote:

Is it likely to be really busy and unenjoyable on the weekend, or is it not too bad?

It's all about timing, and tactical choice of lifts. I had a gread day free-skiing yesterday in massive amounts of powder, and relatively little lift line time.

Hook up with a local (or a pro) - get out on the first lifts (0815). Ski hard until say 11am. Have a late breakfast, then when you are finishing your breakfast, you can be out skiing whilst the majority of people are coming in for their lunch (12-1330).

Then at 1400 come in for a late lunch. Back out again until lifts close.

As to choice of lifts, for example, I would avoid Excelerator on Blackcomb between 0930 and 1030 as that is when most people are loading from the Blackcomb Gondola. Tactics, tactics, tactics!
latest report
LIAMJ wrote:
Tks for the info guys, uktrailmonster, like the look of the Pan Pacific Mountainside ,will check them out

Yeah, it's a great location. We got a reasonable deal on the rooms last March too. I think it was $209 CAD per room per night for a luxury spacious studio. I'd stay there again if I went back.
latest report
veeeight, thanks for the tips, when do the lifts close? maybe see ya there?! snowHead
latest report
Mac46, looks good...ill check them out thanks
snow report
veeeight,

you just gave away my 'master plan' for avoiding the crowds, obvious I know but it really works, early start, early lunch, empty pistes !!
snow conditions
what effect will this artic high thats coming to west canda have on the snow? I know it wont mean lots of powder, but will it be ok for me when i get out there on the 18th, dont scrape it all off please folks! I am excited now, but must say feel for anyone who booked holidays in the lower level alps resorts...i hope there is lots of snow down to the valleys very soon. Guess there is something in being young and single so i can be flexible (oh and the week Canadian dollar).

I have dreamt to go to Canada for years, cant believe im finally going in 8 days, woohoo. Hope its as pretty as all the pictures look Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy