Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots & Thin Legs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have just booked a last-minute(-ish) holiday to Alpe d'Huez in a couple of weeks and need some help with ski boots! Having moved from skiing to snowboarding about 6 years ago, I tried skiing again last March and absolutely loved it, so am considering moving back! I obviously don't want to buy boots until I'm sure, so I'm just going to rent for the holiday.

But... I have really skinny legs. Last March, I found that even with my hire boots at maximum tightness they still felt really loose around my calves, which isn't exactly conducive to pulling off some nice sharp turns. Can you get boots for particularly skinny legs, and would hire shops stock them? Or is there anything I can buy that will help secure my legs in the boots?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alt, welcome to snowHead!
Yes, boots will fit skinny legs, but you will be going for pot-luck with hire boots. What you really need to do is buy boots - that will make the biggest difference to your skiing - having properly fitted/fitting boots.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did you point out to the hire shop how bad they were? There should be a range available and many boots can be unscrewed and adjusted for thinner/fatter legs. If you don't tell them they won't know though! (look on the inside of the 'hook' side of the clip mechanism and you'll see the adjustment screw on most boots - so you can see if it is set to small, med or large).

or as wtfh suggest - your own pair can definately be made to fit - there are lots of boots out there and some are very definately slender...

aj xx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having had mixed success with hire boots and now have just bough my own, my advise would:
- consider asking for a smaller size first, I'm 8 or 9 in shoes and trainers, but the new boots are size 7
- ask in the shop to try a different pair, most have a few different brands and will initially randomly choose one in the size you asked for
- after you've skied in them for a day or so don't be afraid to go back to the shop and try a different pair if they don't fit right
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zebedee wrote:

- ask in the shop to try a different pair, most have a few different brands and will initially randomly choose one in the size you asked for

No decent shop will "randomly" choose one in the size you asked for. In fact a good shop will not even ask what size you are. They'll measure your feet accurately, ask questions about your ski ability and type of skiing you want to do and then suggest a suitable model or two to try on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster wrote:
zebedee wrote:

No decent shop will "randomly" choose one in the size you asked for. In fact a good shop will not even ask what size you are. They'll measure your feet accurately, ask questions about your ski ability and type of skiing you want to do and then suggest a suitable model or two to try on.

I think alt was talking about hiring. So all those minor details like measuring your feet or asking questions (other than what size you are) are overlooked, perhaps the guys in the hire shop can tell what you need just by the way you walk in wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if youre hiring and cant get boots tight enough, try slipping a piece of high density foam between the tongue and the boot shell. This should fill it out a bit.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
element wrote:
if youre hiring and cant get boots tight enough, try slipping a piece of high density foam between the tongue and the boot shell. This should fill it out a bit.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong Smile

There is a thing you can buy called an Eliminator Tongue http://www.bootfitters.com/eliminator.htm that's designed for that. Cost's £17 though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zebedee wrote:

I think alt was talking about hiring. So all those minor details like measuring your feet or asking questions (other than what size you are) are overlooked, perhaps the guys in the hire shop can tell what you need just by the way you walk in wink

Oops, sorry! I thought we'd moved on to buying rather than hiring. Yes most hire shops will spend very little time on you unless you demand it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooh an Eliminator Tongue. I think that was the kind of thing I was looking for. Or possibly a booster strap, which look like they could be a bit more portable (between boots, not resorts).

As for buying, I'd hope that I'd be able to find a pair of boots that wouldn't need any extra accessories, but I suppose I'll just have to see what I can get!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alt - most ski boots have a booster strap built in? What kind of boots did you have - 4 clip or one big clip?

aj xx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think they were 4-clip ones. Can't remember now if they had a booster strap or not. These replacement straps are elastic though so would theoretically be better? Maybe?

I've heard some good things:

http://www.bomberonline.com/reviews/Reviews.cfm?itemnumber=76
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy