Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Well reading my paper this evening on the way home, they were saying the UK is going to get some arctic weather from about Wednesday next week. Temps of about -12 with snow particularly on the east of the country.

Any forecasters know if this is accurate at present - and which direction is this snow going to move in?? snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very unaccurate it is only going to be -11.5 NehNeh

Probably one of those theoretical possibilities that will only give us a few days hard frosts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, I read it too rolling eyes today’s Daily Express says that
Quote:

An arctic blast of sub-zero temperatures and blizzards is about to hit Britain… with temperatures dropping to –12C next week.
Six inches of snow will fall in most parts of Britain, with East Anglia and the East Midlands worst affected.
Winds of 30mph are expected to drive the band of Arctic weather across Britain, causing blizzards and snowdrifts.

Will I be able to test my new skis on the South Downs snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the East Midlands ... i´m going to hire a big truck and take it to the Alps!!! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmmm might be able to give my winter tyres some snow to play in before they hit the alps on the 13th snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman may have access to refrigerated vehicles - maybe he could ship some across to Andorra ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bottom half of Britain hasn't had a major snowstorm since 1991.

The present 2-week forecasts are showing above-average temps and rain for Southern England through mid-Jan.

Even if it does snow, global warming indicates that it will probably melt within hours Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
'scuse me whitegold

I'm in the bottom half of England and remember cycling home through 8 inches of snow while 100s of poor sods were marooned on the M11 all night. About 4 years ago iirc

Though I take your point in general - my 10 year old saw NO snow at home for the first 5 years of her life. And since then we've had no more than 2 or 3 inches apart from the above.

d
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, what about the snow that ground all of Kent to a halt in March 2005?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pendodave wrote:
'scuse me whitegold

I'm in the bottom half of England and remember cycling home through 8 inches of snow while 100s of poor sods were marooned on the M11 all night. About 4 years ago iirc

Though I take your point in general - my 10 year old saw NO snow at home for the first 5 years of her life. And since then we've had no more than 2 or 3 inches apart from the above.

d

Those 8 inches (20cm) must've been a snowdrift. The M11 debacle in Jan 2003 was more like a 2- to 3-inch dusting. There were isolated reports of up to 5 - 6 inches (13 - 15cm), but that is hardly a snowstorm.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
Whitegold, what about the snow that ground all of Kent to a halt in March 2005?

This was a bit more substantial than the M11 mess in 2003. Up to 12 inches (30cm) fell in a week near Canterbury. But the biggest single one-day fall was still only a modest 4 to 6 inches (10 - 15cm). The week was perhaps a semi-storm at best.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yayy! Chance to test out my Pirelli scorpions before taking them to the alps! Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i am resigned to the fact that the south east will see no more than an occasional flurry of snow this year..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was it 86/87 we had that massive snow, Wasn't it the same year as the storm?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy wrote:
Well reading my paper this evening on the way home, they were saying the UK is going to get some arctic weather from about Wednesday next week. Temps of about -12 with snow particularly on the east of the country.

Any forecasters know if this is accurate at present - and which direction is this snow going to move in?? snowHead snowHead

If your paper is the Express then stop reading their weather stories. wink

I won't say it won't happen, but next week looks a lot like this week atm. Might be some chilly winds in the north, and the tops of some Scottish mountains may get down to -12, but they generally do in winter.
ski holidays
skanky, what - me have to buy a paper???? There's so many freebies around I can't remember the last time I bought one. No, it was in the LondonPaper although from memory it was pretty much word for word the same as the Express. Which is where they probably got it from Toofy Grin

I was looking forward to some nice wintry weather as well - and then hoping it might shift off to Austria Toofy Grin
latest report
Michelle wrote:
Will I be able to test my new skis on the South Downs snowHead

Not likely if you've got no poles... Wink
snow conditions
Quote:
No, it was in the LondonPaper although from memory it was pretty much word for word the same as the Express.

Interesting as they have different owners. They may have been quoting a press release or the lp nicked it.

Quote:
I was looking forward to some nice wintry weather as well - and then hoping it might shift off to Austria

If it's snowy easterlies, then it'd have come from Austria (or come here instead of there).
latest report
wtf, maybe I need snowchains on my way back to the UK then?
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
i am resigned to the fact that the south east will see no more than an occasional flurry of snow this year..

You can get roughly 14 to 1 at some bookies that London will not see another White Christmas between now and 2050.
snow report
The MetO winter update is out tomorrow (I think). Their earlier one was expecting colder conditions later in the season, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with, I suppose. Obviously some parts of the country will get snow this winter - partly because some already have, but no one will be able to say where for sure at the moment. Snow relies on such specific conditions that it's very difficult to forecast in this country, which lies on the borderline. Last year we had a notable cold spell with snow falling for 18 straight days in some places, but it only settled in a few. When I lived in Hertford on more than one occasion we got non-settling snow whereas Stevenage at 50m higher had it settle.[/b]
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

You can get roughly 14 to 1 at some bookies that London will not see another White Christmas between now and 2050.

Seeing as the LWC has closed, they're pretty good odds...or have they changed the definition?
latest report
skanky wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

Seeing as the LWC has closed, they're pretty good odds...or have they changed the definition?

The definition, I believe, is that a single natural snowflake has to land on the roof of Buck Palace in Central London on Crimmy Day.
snow conditions
Interesting, I wonder who'll be looking out for it? The LWC at least had a weather station (such that it was).
ski holidays
thats gonna be bloody cold next week on nights fixin helicopters on a windy old airfield Sad snowHead Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy