Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

weekend ski break any suggestions?????

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are planning a weekend ski trip either the 1st or 3rd weekend in March ideally flying from Stansted but maybe Luton/Gatwick, can anyone suggest somewhere. preferably with a shortish transfer time, any reccommendations greatly appreciated, thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feefee, I've been to Klosters, Flims and Flaine (Les Carroz) for long weekends at that time of year - all worked well with loads of snow.

The first two fly to Zurich, Flaine is nearer Geneva.

I've also had a weekend in Crans Montana, but the transfer was a lot longer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feefee, ryanair to salzburg or Turin give you loads of options.

From salzburg you have Schladming, Obertauern, soll (+ rest of Skiwelt), Kaprun etc etc all within easy reach (all much less than 2 hours by car).

From Turin you have Cervinia or other Aosta Valley resorts - Pila, La Thuile, Courmayer (or even through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Chamonix) or you could go the other way to Sestriere, Sauze or on to Serre Chevalier or even Les 2 Alpes. (again generally much less than 2 hours by car (but furthest ones may be pushing the travel time))

Accommodation isn't usually a problem, but you may have to wait until nearer the time to book up as the hotels may be wanting to hold out for whole week bookings.

there is a link to cheap car hire on the sticky thread on travel ideas in the trips forum.

I prefer more short breaks to fewer whole weeks and have done loads now. Good luck snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feefee, Verbier is a 90 minute drive from Geneva and conditions there in March are generally good. Chamonix is about 60 minutes away from Geneva. Both are well set up for weekenders in terms of accomodation etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basel or Zurich should put you in touch with a few resorts within 2 hrs by train.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone!! more suggestions still appreciated, Are we better to hire a car or get taxi transfers?? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hired a small Panda for 3 days at about £65 over the Christmas hols, you could check on taxis, but I would think that car hire would be cheaper. Some Austrian resorts close to Salzburg have a shuttle bus facility (e.g. Obertauern which costs €39 for a return trip) and the one that I contacted said that we would only be waiting for an hour maximum.

One advantage of Ryanair is that their return flights from Salzburg and Turin are quite late so you get the full last day on the slopes and still have time to get back to the airport and have a meal (or even have a meal on the way to the airport).

If you fly to Geneva the whole of the Portes de Soleil are within easy reach as are Villars, Chamonix, Megeve and a large number of other places.

You have no limit on choices. Where would you fancy going?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For two or more people, I've always hired a car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feefee, If you fly to Grenoble you can rent a dinky car and be in either ADH or LDA in 1.5 hours - both big resorts with loads of everything - although naturally I would always recommend LDA over ADH! We're a lot cheaper I reckon than the Savoie and Haut Savoie.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, Thanks, we have been to Kaprun and Vaujany and liked both, but this time (escape without kids)! maybe Italy or I rather like Zell am See. Maybe a hire car would be better, there will be 4 of us to share the costs. I like the sound of fairly short transfers, nice hotel, good food & wine!! and pretty slopes!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix. From Geneva.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zell am See is only about an hour from Salzburg but flights with Ryanair are quite expensive for weekends now to there (getting on for £200 Friday to Sunday).

Turin flights are much cheaper (about £80 return all in Friday to Sunday), giving you Cervinia (with Zermatt on the same lift pass), Pila, La Thuile (with La Rosiere on the same lift pass), Sestriere, Champoluc, Sauze d'Oulx, Courmayer + others within 1.5 hours drive.

Of those, I have only been to Cervinia (not so pretty a town but excellent skiing) and La Thuile (quiet and small (but good restaurants) and excellent skiing) (both on short breaks) but I would imagine that you would have a great time in any from that list.

The tourist information sites are good for getting hotel email lists for sorting accommodation.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feefee, I live in Austria and Stansted and Gatwick fly into Salzburg. We are just 45min transfer in the heart of Ski Amade. Transfers are €39.50 per person - or you could hire a car - look at www.holidayautos.co.uk for prices.

Austria is beautiful - come and see! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, Thanks we would visit Austria (been before and loved it) but the flights are quite priceycompared to Italy. I think we will probably go for the Turin flights as they are quite a bit cheaper.Ray Zorro, thanks for the reccommendations Turin seems favourable so I will check out some Hotels, unless any Snowheads can reccommend any, ski to door would be great or very near lifts etc Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee, once you have made up your mind it would be advisable to book the flights as soon as you can as their prices are likely to increase with time.

The accommodation and car hire can be left till much later. When I to went Cervinia just after christmas I reserved the accommodation on the 24th and paid the deposit the 27th, the day before I went. There shouldn't be a problem if you are just 2 couples.

One thing I found with Stansted - you may already know this, but the parking in the mid stay is about £13 per day if you take a ticket on arrival and pay at the end of your stay, but is only £7.70 per day if you pre-book online. Quite a difference.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Am meeting friend today so will make the decision and prob book flights tonight. Didn't know about the pre-booking parking at Stansted though! will do that or may get a lift as we are not too far away.
Did you stay in a Hotel in Cervinia?
Do you have website address for the tourist info? I googled it but not much luck!
ski holidays
http://www.cervinia.it/sezionidinamiche/strutturericettive/hotel_intro_eng.aspx you can access a map of where each hotel is on that page as well.

FWIW I stayed at the Lac Bleu, which was more out of town than I realised, but the owners always bus the guests right up to the gondola doors each morning and picked us up from wherever we landed in the evening, so the location didn't particularly matter in the end.

The Astoria is probably the best placed.

Good luck in sorting it snowHead
snow conditions
feefee, I've booked flights from Stansted to Turin - 26/1-29/1
We are just looking at resorts and transfers at the moment. Will let you know how we get on.
snow report
Pete1909, have a look at sauze d'oux
snow conditions
skimottaret, Looking at Sauze - Had a week in Sestriere last January so did a day there and quite liked it.
Also looking at Montgenevre but did a week there a couple of years back.
Favourite for me at the moment in Cervinia as I've never been and gives us Zermatt too.
latest report
Pete1909, if you go with sauze i know a great instructor there....
ski holidays
Pete1909, I think car hire is definately cheaper than the transfers? I am looking at Pila, seems to be lots of doorstep skiing but have emailed hotels and no reply Sad
ski holidays
feefee, Yes, I think it will be - need either 2 cars or a minibus as there are 7 of us.
ski holidays
Pete1909, easyjet have very cheap car hire. How you getting on with accom search? are you looking at Hotels or Chalets?
latest report
feefee, I've tasked one of the others to do the accomodation search for Cervinia. He's emailing a few as we speak (if they respond) as suggested by Ray Zorro in Trips (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21586).

Fisrt time we've done a weekend, if all goes well hopefully there'll be many more. snowHead
snow report
Just had an email back on tranfers (link from www.cervinia.it to Private transfer www.caarp.it)
The cost for the transfer from Caselle airport to Cervinia for 7 people with luggages with a minibus with driver is Euro 248,00
If you need the way back, the total amount is Euro 496,00 (about £355 / 7 = £50 each)

Or car hire from www.holidayautos.co.uk
9 Seater Van - £258
2 small cars (Fiesta) - £192
Not sure on Tolls and Fuel. works out about £30-40 each in total.

I think for £10 extra each it's easier to let someone else have the hassle of driving.
ski holidays
feefee, as you are not going till March, you might find that hotels are reluctant to commit at this stage. A weekend means that they lose the room for the full week either side. It isn't that they don't have the room, just that they would rather retain the option for a week-long booking. Nearer the time, when they realise that they have rooms they can't fill, then they will be happy to accept the booking.

I would think that Pila is a good option as even if you can't find anywhere there (which would really surprise me), you should find something in Aosta and that is only an 8min gondola ride down in the valley.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted though Very Happy
snow report
Geneva Easyjet flights from Luton would allow you to go out on the Friday evening at 6.45 or 8.15pm and return on 8.20 or 10.40pm on the Sunday. This would give 2 full ski days. Unfortunately the flight cost about 3 times now than they did when I booked.
As for resort: Argentierre (Chamonix) is close (I seem to remember a bit over an hour transfer).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try Ryanair they seem to be cheap at tha moment snowHead
snow report
Crikey flights change prices eavery time I look!! waiting for babysitting confirmation before we book!!! So far Turin, Grenoble and Lyon are the cheapest! and Verona. Lots of choice think we just have to book flight then wait for Hotel. Will def go for car hire , easyjet want about £60 for small car, not bad!
ski holidays
feefee wrote:
Crikey flights change prices eavery time I look!! waiting for babysitting confirmation before we book!!! So far Turin, Grenoble and Lyon are the cheapest! and Verona. Lots of choice think we just have to book flight then wait for Hotel. Will def go for car hire , easyjet want about £50-60 for small car, not bad!
ski holidays
Fancy something a bit different ??

Fly to Venice and pick up the hire car at the airport. Drive 2 hours north and then you're in the Dolomites (Cortina d'Ampezzo). I've done this a couple of times (in March) and its been excellent on both occasions Very Happy
snow report
Ray Zorro, Thanks for all your help and suggestions, after re-arranging babysitters etc etc etc!!!! we have booked flights to Grenoble as the times were best for schools, kids etc!! I rather fancied Italy but it did'nt work out, maybe next time? Very Happy
Will now look into LDH or ADH, we drove to Vaujany at christmas so I know the transfer is short just need to choose resort......
Thanks everyone snowHead
ski holidays
feefee, You're welcome snowHead

That is a good choice Very Happy . I have two trips to Les2Alpes from Grenoble planned for this year.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, well if you can recommend hotels............ wink
ski holidays
feefee, Lutins in 2'Alps. Great place to stay with an excellent location
latest report
Linds, just wondering... would you describe the Lutins as a "nice" hotel? (thinking back to feefee's requirement list earlier). It seemed similar to where I stayed (the Sherpa) and while the location was great and it was perfectly adequate in every way for the PSB, it was possibly not the place I would choose to go if I was going with Mrs Z on a break from the kids for a few days Confused

feefee, Les 2 Alpes has a booking centre (never used it personally) 00 33 476792438 or email reservation@les2alpes.com
If you don't get what you want, when I was there in November, I picked up this season's accommodation booklet which I could send to you if you like. It lists every hotel in the resort + more besides.
snow conditions
ryanair to Granada return about £60 incl taxes land at noight fri reurn late at night on sunday 2 full days ski-ing in Sierra Nevada snowHead
snow report
Ray Zorro, Ok, I missed that bit rolling eyes
Quote:

I like the sound of fairly short transfers, nice hotel, good food & wine!! and pretty slopes!

feefee, Just ignore me rolling eyes
snow report
Am looking at all recommendations, thank you everyone, but would like bit of luxury!! Ray Zorro, If I don't have any luck the leaflet would be great thanks! will wait til bit nearer the time tho!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy