Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete and utter beginner - ski boot rental for big feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Me and the better half are considering giving this ski thingy a try late feb or early march this year, probably to one of the austrian resorts that we've been previously in the summer hols hiking, like obergurgl, mayrhofen or alpbach. In all the brochures we've looked at, there's something similar in the small print that bothers me and I was wondering if it's genuine or just the tour operators covering their backsides?

For those requiring size 11 boots or bigger - my feet are about an 11.5 UK - they either say that such huge sizes (really?) can't be guaranteed to be available or they recommend taking boots with you - which seems a bit of a daft expensive idea for a complete beginner. I'm also 6ft2in, if that makes a difference.

I could possibly see smaller resorts not having a wider range of rental kit, but has anyone got any comments on the above? Am I going to have a genuine problem trying to find rental ski boots to fit?

I'd hate to have to cut me toes off just to get them in a tiny pair of boots...

Cheers all!

Gary
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gary, welcome to snowheads.

I think you should be ok at your size however it's worth checking. You're not restricted to using the tour operator's rental partner so once you've decided on your resort you can google the rental shops in the town to check availability & pre-book if necessary.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads GaryGleghorn, snowHead

My feet are about size 11 and I've not had trouble finding boots big enough on the odd occassion I've hired - I think beyond size 12 it gets a bit tricky.

Once you know where you're planning to go, you could easily contact a couple of local shops to make sure if you're worried.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
just get the biggest size boots they have and then you don't need to hire any skiis
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers all, knowing my luck I'll get the last available pair in dayglow pink with flashing lights - urgh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowHeads Gary. I agree with Admin about contacting local shops - you can also book online via Intersport & they seem to have shops everywhere. If you are really worried, call them. My SO has size 12 feet & says that he didn't ever have problems. Good luck with this.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GaryGleghorn, welcome to snowHeads. A couple of years ago when I was in Schladming there was a guy in our group with size 13 feet. It took a bit of running around as there was only one shop with one pair of boots for him, but he was able to get sorted.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GaryGleghorn, welcome to snowHead 's

at 11.5 you really shouldn't have a problem, but if you are concerned about availablilty you could try renting in the UK before you go....where are you based, the local shop i use for our boot stock [in Bicester] offers rental up to size 16 www.beansonline.co.uk alternatively Edge to Edge in crawley offer UK based rental and can arrange delivery to airports etc

the thing about big boots is that you need big bindings to put them in, this is becoming more of an issue as the majority ofd skis now come with intergated binding systems....some of them adjust out to big sizes and some do not

good luck with whatever you choose to do
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy