Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering this resort for my 2008 trip, I've seen that this resort is connected to La Rosiere so has anyone got anything to say about this resort and La Rosiere's skiing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichardB, Much has been said.

This thread produced some very frank observations... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17956

I stayed in La Thuile for 3 or 4 nights last year and thought it a great little place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RichardB, I skied in La Rosiere a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the holiday, but the piste skiing seemed limited. I didn't make it over to La Thuile, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Rosiere is a lot higher than La Thuile, but is South Facing. La Ros gets more sun but is slightly less reliable for snow, La Thuile offers some tree skiing. Both great resorts, providing nightlife isn't a priority, and quite a big area when you put them together. The middle area is especially good. If you go out of normal holiday periods it will be practically empty.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichardB, They are very different, which makes the link across quite a nice feature.

It seems to be a very consistent vote (even for the LaRosophiles) that the food is generally better on the Italian side, but that's not to say it's bad in La Ros.

La Ros is a bit unique in basking in sunlight for the whole day and usually doesn't feel as cold as La Thuile and obviously it gets dark there earlier.

Snow depends on the prevailing Winter winds and La Ros seems to get a bit more, but that helps it keep its snowdepth in the view of greater sunlight.

Sking: La Ros itself is quite small but I think nearly everyone likes it. Inside the area itself there are a lot of cross-trails and links and some are quite narrow.

Skiing: La Thuile, a much larger area in a large South-East facing bowl. A lot of big wide white motorways and not a draglift to be found. Of course, as it's Italy, the grooming is brutal wink and on a board you can have huge fun with big sweeping carved arcs. The town is more of a trip to get back to in La Thuile but you can get the gondola down from the bowl if your legs are a bit tired at the end of the day and you want to avoid the two blacks or the long reds that snake around the sides of the area.
Plus it's easier to arrange off-piste and helicopter excursions from the Italian side

On the whole, if the link is closed you're probably just a wee bit better served on the Italian side of the pass.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, anyone reading this rubbish would think you actually had some experience, how wrong they would be.
Have you ever arranged off-piste or heli-skiing in either La Rosiere or La Thuile, because it's clear to me that you haven't. There is a drag lift which is easily viewed from the La Thuile gondola, you've either never travelled in the Gondola or you were having another fantasy. There are more than 2 blacks and a red piste to get back to the village, why not consult the piste map before you make such stupid pronouncements. There are three distinct skiing areas in La Thuile, Piccolo San Bernardo and Fourclaz are both North facing but maybe you didn't get that far on the occasion that you may have made it across the border, age is not improving your memory. You keep going on about narrow links and cross-trails in La Rosiere, so name one. There is no difference in size between the resorts, there is as much skiing in La Rosiere as there is in La Thuile, why not check with the respective Tourist Offices to be sure of your facts, that will save you from making such erroneous comments.
As far as I'm aware, you've never stayed in La Thuile, so how can you determine that if the link is closed you're better off staying on the Italian side. Last week, the pistes in La Rosiere were crowded with Italian skiers enjoying the sunshine whilst La Thuile was much colder and windier, good job they never read your nonsence.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-01-07 15:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax,

Welcome back,

I'm hoping to get up the Ruitor glacier this year as it happens. I presume I book it via the local ski schools or rather thats where I will start looking.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I would rather stay on on the french side as the views are great and the sun delightful. In my experience the link is rarely shut but when it is we just play around La Rosiere. More often than not we would lunch in Italy, but that is because we love Italian food, and not because there is poor food on the french side. To get to the Col area from either La Thulie or from La Rosiere takes roughly the same length of time, it really is one big ski area. makes sense to stay in the sunny and picturesque location.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David@traxvax, nice rant.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax wrote:
There is no difference in size between the resorts, there is as much skiing in La Rosiere as there is in La Thuile, why not check with the respective Tourist Offices to be sure of your facts, that will save you from making such erroneous comments.

According to the La Thuile website there is 100.38km of piste in La Thuile and 44.82km in La Rosiere. My maths is not great but looks like twice as much in La Thuile to me. So who is it that is making erroneous comments? rolling eyes

It is a shame David@traxvax, you have so much that you could cotribute to this site, yet you only come on here now to continue your personal vendetta against Masque.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, nice to be so even handed, but you're as wrong as the great fanatist. There are actually 58 kms of marked piste in La Rosiere, together with a boardercross park, a snowpark and a dedicated patrolled off-piste area, the total actually comes to over 75kms. There are also 37 lifts in La Rosiere compared to 34 in La Thuile, so as far as I'm concerned and anyone sensible who has actually skied both areas extensively, there are equal facilities. Masque, was stating that the facilities in La Thuile are much better, on what evidence he has to come to that conclusion I'm uncertain, as in my experience he has only skied or boarded in La Thuile on a couple of occasions and I'm fairly certain he has never skied all the way down to the village. So if this forum is to be a useful source of information, then you or Masque or any other contributor ought to be certain you've got your facts right.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 2-01-07 15:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

There are also 55 lifts in La Rosiere
I think that must include those in hotels and chalets wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, Frosty you're right I should have written 37, now corrected. There is one new uplift in La Thuille, a travellator so you don't have to pole up the last few metres on pista 20.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 2-01-07 16:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your info, I've been looking and it may be possible for me to book a room in a catered chalet in La Rosiere for only £95 more than staying in La Thuile which would have been B&B.

Looks like I've got some choices to mull over when I get back from Banff! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RichardB,
Personallly I think you can have a pretty good time at either, though La Thuile is certainly not very lively at night. My own particular prejudice would be for La Ros early season to benefit from the sun and La Thuile late season to avoid the said sun or at least the worst of its effects on the snow.
snow report
I'm going to La Thuile in March. Check out www.lathuile.net and www.lathuile.it for tourist type info. There is also a link to a 3D piste map which you can navigate around. I've no idea how accurate it is: http://mappe.moreitalia.it/lathuile/start.html.

I've decided to book lift pass, ski hire and tuition (probably a few one-on-ones rather than ski school) when I get there because the web site shows cheaper prices than the Thompson package.

I'd be interested if anyone can offer any tips about booking the lessons and ski hire. Is there one central place or a choice?

Also Smile , I know I'll find this out when I get there but, if anyone knows, is Hotel du Glacier an up/down hill trek to the resort centre where the main gondolas are? Is there a nearby lift that so that you can ski down to the centre instead of walking 5 - 10 mins in boots?
snow conditions
Jeraff, there is boot and ski hire facilities right at the gondola (but not sure about the lessons - sorry.)
snow report
I'm going to la Thuile in Feb, and am trying to book ski hire on line (as it generally saves a few quid). I've previously always booked on Intersport, but they don't do online booking in Italy. Puzzled

Can anyone advise which are the best ski hire shops in La Thuile? I'm staying in Planibel, so convenient location would be good. Thanks
snow report
wazza, Planibel is right next to the gondola and so you are well placed for one at the lift itself (sorry, can't remember the name though).

You can do online booking here (not tried them, just found them via google) http://www.snowrental.net/skiing/italy/ski-hire-italy.html
ski holidays
There was a ski hire shop in the middle of the Planibel two years ago when we were last there. Can't remember what the prices were like but the kit was good and so was the service.
ski holidays
Wazza, I am going to Planibel in Feb as well and I found this ski hire lot which seem fair priced via skiset.
http://www.skiset.com/index-en.html. Blush

There address is in Planibel.
Store
Résidence Planibel. 49
Tel. +39 0165 884642
Mail: info@berthodsport.it
ski holidays
David@traxvax, out of basic curiosity If La Ros is so great . . . why do you spend so much time and effort rabbiting on about the link to La Thuile and taking your guests there . . . including me on at least six occasions. Then of course there's your continued eulogising of the restaurants over the border. And since it was you yourself that pointed out that the helicopters were operated from the Italian side as it was illegal in France and pointed out the office for the arrangements as we were heading down for lunch . . . In La Thuile again but that the Ski schools in La Ros had reciprocal arrangements.

Lastly, please tells us all exactly what is incorrect about my post. La thuile has very different skiing from La Ros and is as near as makes no difference twice the size as everyone who's been knows, and one drag in the whole resort is just a tiny bit grasping at straws to illustrate a venal argument that does nothing but show up your small mind and even worse manners. You make a mockery of your own posts and experience just to attempt to score points over me. You have far more pressing problems than this post, I suggest you attend to them before making yourself even more foolish in everyone's eyes.
snow report
I'm going to the Plamibel in Feb too. I understand there are two ski hire shops within the complex. Have never booked equip online so don't know if it is cheaper than on-site. As there area biggish group of us I'm planning to email the shops direct to see if they will offer a group discount.

Any more info on La Thuile or La Ros appreciated. I'm hoping to ski both as long as the links are open. Perhaps wrongly I have go the impression from here and other places that when there are high winds it is not possible to ski the French side from La Thuile and this can sometmes last the length of a one week trip.

Has anyoine skied the other resorts on the lift pass in the Aosta Valeey while at the Planibel (Courmayeur in particular)? Is it worth the hassle? I skied a week in Pila lasy year so would not be bothered about trekking there (nice though it is).

Would liek to book lessons in advance if we could be sure of getting good English speaking instrcutors for teh children especially. From what I can gether there is only the one ski school so guess it is pot-luck who you get.

Thanks
ski holidays
T Bar, sounds like a good plan. I have only been to La Thuile, never La Rosiere and only at new year. Then it was really really cold.
ski holidays
aidancostello, Not sure if you have seen these two reports by FTS on La Rosiere in the resorts section

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=277606
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=115560
ski holidays
aidancostello, When we were there last year the link was closed due to high winds for 5 of the 8 days we were there. Unfortunatly we only went over briefly at the beginning of the holiday intending to return later in the week but never had the chance.
ski holidays
Thnaks Kevin! late now - did a longer reply and lost it and need some sleep now!
latest report
God help us, I thought that mad La Ros postings had gone for ever.

Still if anyone asks "can you recommend a smallish French resort which gets a lot of sun and people you've hardly met shout at punters who disagree with them" then at least, for once, we can all breath a sigh of relief that they'll be pointed in the right direction....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pendodave, It involves skiing and personal experiences. Where is the problem?. Folks now know all the good and bad points of the area. Is this a bad thing?
snow report
Frosty

of course discussions and different points of view etc etc are not a bad thing.

However, I think that the barely concealed bile in the reply from david@trax to masque (who seemed to post a perfectly reasonable note of the good/bad point type imho) is a very bad thing and has no place on snowheads.

I also think that the overpromotion of a resort in which someone has a financial interest is a bad thing. Many people who visit this site are newbs and are not in a position to sort wheat from chaff. I know the intenet is 'buyer beware' in terms of advice, but as a member of this community I find it, quite frankly, embarrasing.
snow report
pendodave, Sorry I was confusing the point you made. Can't disagree with your latest post. Very Happy
ski holidays
but I prefer not to encourage the arguments further as a while back it seemed there was an awful lot of sniping going on about La Ros. Would be good if we could move on as it does seem that there is a certain amount of enjoyment from keeping feuds going sometimes.

Haven't been to La Ros so can't comment but hope to ski there and see what it's like in Feb while in La Thuile. In the meantime I'd still be glad to hear any more usefu tips or info about La Ros or La Thuile.

Peace and goodwill to all men etc....
snow report
I worked in La Ros, loved it - liked La Thuile too
latest report
Apert from a 'tricky' narrow section from the Fort to get over to La Thuile, both resorts are great for beginner/intermediates as they offer runs that shouldn't challenge too much and assuming all runs open, provide enough options. They both seem OK for families or mixed experience groups, though there's limited terraine for 'experts'.

Foods pretty good on both sides.

From 3 trips I've done there, snow and conditions generally better on La Ros side but, dare I say, more interesting La Thuile side when the (usually) open link allows.

La Ros is nice place to stay - compact, friendly and fun. Not stayed in La Thuile, but seemed welcoming enough on visits to the town.
latest report
Spent this Xmas in La Rosiere, conditions were not great, but Italy was far better. This is the beauty of the Espace San Bernardo area, we had a great time, found snow to play in and learnt to hop across rocks on our way back into La Rosiere! We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday, I would love to visit La Rosiere in better conditions, La Thuile had mainly good conditions and offered more variety in terms of open pistes.

I cannot understand why a linked area would have any arguements about which area is best/has best lifts/best snow/is the highest/the most pistes, the area is linked and if the link is open, you can ski the whole area! Just go and enjoy.

More peace and goodwill etc.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy