Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery Airport - 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're just back from Val Thorens. While there I read a French magazine proudly proclaiming that flights to Chambery have increased 200% this year, but I'm not sure if they meant doubled or tripled. It sounds wonderful news, but it would be really good if the airport was ready to cope with it on the ground. A week ago (23rd) many flights were around 4 hours late, some were changed, for example a Manchester flight went to Birmingham, to allow us lucky people at Birmingham to get out, and a few were cancelled, including a Gatwick flight that went to Grenoble the next day. Yesterday (30th dec) was better, we arrived at 3pm and watched the early morning Edinburgh flight take off, but most delays were almost gone by mid afternoon, when a further delay was introduced by the arrival of a Russian flight.

This was interesting to watch. The plane, white with pink flashes,was roaring down over the lake but then veared off, a few seconds later a bright green Russian plane took off, thankfully someone decided that two Russians in different directions on the runway was too much. A couple of minutes later the pink flash came back, this time towards the lake. It almost touched down, but too far down the runway, so went round again. A third attempt and it finally landed, roared past the terminal building too fast and went up to the sky again, to head for Grenoble.

Good luck if you are flying to / from Chambery, it's bound to improve as the year goes on, possibly the Russians will learn how to land as well.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jane L, to be fair to the Russians, the standard instrument approach to Chambery does involve approaching over the lake and then 'veering off' to the left if the approach needs to be from the other runway. There's no direct instrument approach from the south due to high ground. Page 8 of this PDF illustrates the procedure I imagine he was flying.

Doesn't explain his inability to land from the south, though - but at least he didn't go off the end of the runway and end up in the Lake.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect that many of the delays and changes affecting UK flights on and around the 23rd were actually due to the weather in the UK - It was 'kin foggy Confused . most places south of manchester were unable to deal with the volume of flights and there were a large number of aircraft left in the 'wrong' placeto start the next sector. (glad I'm not a scheduler!!). As for the russians - nothing changes!! I once flew aeroflot... only once mind ... never again! Skullie

To be fair, we flew into chambery last year with Jet2 and it was a breeze, but I had to suck my teeth at the size of the terminal set up and trhe passenger numbers that they intend to handle Shocked . I suspect it will get a lillte chaotic at the height of the season!

Do russians fly pink planes? I suppose the red 'commies' are a little less red these days! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair, I'd struggle aswell if my approach plates were in french!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pielot, it can be alarming when they translate to English - the last sentence on page 5 of this PDF, the plates for Courchevel, helpfully refer to a "Preferential crashing zone" Shocked .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought Chambery was a great little airport last year.... but I'd guess they need to keep a check on the growth of the airport as they could easily saturate it and then you'll end up with the mess above pretty easily. Thats the thing with mountain airports..doesn't take much in the way of weather upsets or delays to have a big knock-on effect.

You want to fly in on a good day but then you want to be getting up the mountains in a storm... Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jane L, To be fair to Chambery, a lot of the problems on 23rd Dec were caused by fog in the UK. Some flights leaving from Bristol were re-routed to leave from Gatwick, Exeter etc. Our Bristol to Chambery flight became (several hours later) Exeter to Grenoble only to become Exeter to Chambery some 30 minutes before landing.

Every time I go through Chambery, I'm just thankful that I am not in that hole known as Lyon charter terminal.

PS I also saw the plane with pink flashes demonstrating the art of how not to land at Chambery. I bet they were glad to get rid of it and send it to Grenoble.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah ha - I remember Chambery in the old days -ie 20 years ago, when it was 8 portakabins labelled "aeroclub de chambery". You had to get your luggage off the trolleys they unloaded the plane onto. All things being equal, I believe from a commercial pilot friend, and personal experience of gettin gout of there when 737s were grounded, that it is better to be on a Bae148 or RJ100 than a 737 flying in there, as they can land with a lower cloud/visability level. I think you do have do have some kind of extra training certificate to land there because of the interesting approach. It is still way better than the Lyon Charter shed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had the most extraordinary experience at Chambery a few years ago. Booked Flybe S'oton Chambery in December.... along we went, flight on time, very comfy etc.... got to chambery in the pouring rain and weren't allow to disembark at first as someone was videoing us?????? Weren't allowed to get into the airport as there were peeps running around in funny costumes .... eventually we got into the airport building through a "lane" of the costumed ladies singing to discover that there was a civic reception and goody bags as we were the first flight of the season! Would have been fine except I missed my connecting train to grenoble and bus to LDA - transfer took 2 hours extra. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't get me wrong - I love Chambery, and have never found it a problem, other than 23rd December. I really love the external bar area, much better than the stuffy bars at other airports, we sat out there drinking our Pelforth brune we had brought from VT, watching the planes come and go. This time there were no incidents where planes taxied away from us, but I do remember last time when everything was blown off the tables in the jetstream.

On 23rd Dec we sat on the plane at Birmingham waiting for Chambery to be ready for us, but yes, I suppose things originally went wrong there that day because of external problems like the fog in the UK and possibly further Russians.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jane L, I know, I was on the Gatwick flight on the 23rd which was cancelled. We had been due to get going at 14:40 on the Saturday but finally got off the ground at 10:00 on Sunday morning. We thought everything was fine only to be told 20 minutes before touch down that we were now going to Grenoble Shocked

Can't really blame the weather, my office overlooks Gatwick and there was very little fog there all week - in fact Friday was a glorious sunny day. The problem was the airline (Astraeus) not getting it together. Although other airlines had a few delays, this shower were by far and away the worst performing as seen by the delays/cancellations they had in comparisson to everyone else - never again Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SHello wrote:
Can't really blame the weather, my office overlooks Gatwick and there was very little fog there all week - in fact Friday was a glorious sunny day.:

Well you probably can.

SHello wrote:
The problem was the airline (Astraeus) not getting it together. Although other airlines had a few delays, this shower were by far and away the worst performing as seen by the delays/cancellations they had in comparisson to everyone else - never again Evil or Very Mad

We were scheduled to leave from Bristol with Astraeus early on the 23rd. That plane started its journey from fog-free Gatwick that morning but couldn't land at fog-bound Bristol. Consequently we were bussed to meet the plane at Exeter. By the time we landed at Chambery, I guess the plane was about 5 hours behind schedule. As others have mentioned, other airports in the UK had similar fog problems. So whether Gatwick was fog-free or not wasn't the issue. It all depended on where the plane had been to (or had been trying to get to) beforehand. Given the circumstances, we were happy with the performance of Astraeus.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SHello, Aren't Astraeus the mob who Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden pilots for sometimes?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy