Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarding lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Help please. My daughter is moving to Boarding from being a proficient Skier. What lessons ? type and frequency. Also advice on protection from people who have done this. Padding, Helmets in particular. I am trying to persuade her to wear a helmet, - noises from the right quarters would be useful. Also any specific recommendations fo lessons in La Thuile would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My two definites would be helmet and wrist guards. As a complete beginner she will spend a lot of time on her knees/bum, so would consider padding both of them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twoodwar, Helmet, bum (inc. hip) and wrist are the basics, add knees as you wish. Note of caution on the wrist guards, there are two basic types, the first are very stiff and have a tendency in bad falls to transfer forces to the forearm. The other are more like splint supports and have some degree of flexibility. There are fans and detractors for both. It's better to try to learn to fall in the crossed arm gymnastic fashion that keeps extremities close to the body and not free to be wrenched, dislocated or broken.
It is surprising how just a tiny bit of lateral movement can turn a simple drop onto yer butt into a crunchy wrist. Lastly, if you are going to stick your hands out, close your fists, fingers love to play catch with any rigid piece of crud in the snow.

I wouldn't panic too much, she knows what an edge feels like and she should be confident in keeping her weight forward, as long as she doesn't try to push it too fast before she gets consistent turning and control skills she shouldn't spend much time eating snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks to Elizabeth and Masque so far. Any La Thuile or lesson recommendations would be most welcome
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to La Rosiere 3 years ago. Nice linked resort , bit flat over the link between France and Italy. One side always gets more snow than the other , and it differs year on year. The lifts arnt the best at La Rosiere. Drags and chairs, a touch slow. But it is a cheaper lift pass, Cant recall too much about the lifts on La Thuille side. The mountain food and drinks were slightly cheaper and of better quality on the Italian side tho. as were the ladeees Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get some padded undershorts (with lower back protector). They were the best thing I ever bought, until I took a tumble in Jasper two weeks ago. They're still just as good but that accolade know goes to the helmet I bought a week before out there. I would have needed hospital treatment without it.

Wrist guards are a VERY touchy subject. A girl who duffed her wrist up (suspected break, turned out to be a sprain) in Canada asked the doctor if wrist guards would've prevented it. The reply was probably...............she'd probably have broken her arm instead. It can transfer the injury up the arm. By all means buy them, but they are not as proven as the previously mentioned items.

When she gets more adventurous, think about a full back protector, or possibly, armoured undershirt. My next purchase.

As regards being a proficient skier, this can be a good and bad thing. I've seen good skiers make poor boarders and mediocre skiers make flying machines. The one undeniable bad aspect is that on, say, the third day learning, when she's wet, cold, sore and downright fed up with the whole bl**dy lot of it, she may be lured back from the Darkside with the thought of all the fun the other skiers are having.

Boarding is very much more so (as compared to skiing) a state of mind. I still have bad days and the relative comfort and relaxation promised by a pair of skis is very tempting, though lately I've found the strength to resist.

As regards LaThuile, it was where I spent my first real days boarding (3 of them). It's ok for boarding. No more. The lessons were very mediocre. I didn't have any, but my sister/bro-in-lo/friends did. They didn't teach basics, just wanted to see how quick they could get the more gifted to link some turns, at the expense of the others. This was seven years ago and it may be different now. If you have time before you go, get the young lady over to the nearest dry slope and get the basics; edges, weight transfer etc, sorted before you go. It's the ONLY thing I'd recommend a dry slope for.

Sorry about the sermon, but hope it helps. Above all, persevere. It IS worth it.

John.

p.s. DO NOT be tempted to try the traverse over to LaRosiere as a beginner. It's a VERY long walk if you get it wrong, and nigh on impossible if there's been a modicum of snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar, I am a fairly recent addition to the boarding community (although my main focus is skiing still).

On my first time I was lent a pair of padded shorts by a friend and the difference between me and my fellow boarding virgin the following morning at breakfast was dramatic - I ate sitting down and he ate standing up!

As a skier your daughter will not only understand the principles of travelling on snow but will not have the same level of fear that most of those new to snowsports feel. So she should make rapid progress.

I was already a helmet wearer on skis so right from the word go wore one boarding. In the first few days it is difficult when riding flat sections to keep on the edge you intend to be on. If you unexpectedly transfer to the heel from the toe edge on the flat then .... you land on the back of your head!!

So I feel a helmet is essential.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
B00thy wrote:
twoodwar In the first few days it is difficult when riding flat sections to keep on the edge you intend to be on. If you unexpectedly transfer to the heel from the toe edge on the flat then .... you land on the back of your head!!

So I feel a helmet is essential.

Keep the board flat and more weight on the front foot, the board has to follow you then in a straight line.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stab,

sorry to disagree mate, but that's not always true. You can ride flat(ish) on softish snow and untracked snow, but to do so on well tracked firm snow is a recipe for disaster, and one of the most common mistakes less experienced boarders make. Even on a slight edge the board, like skis, and skiers will be familiar with the sensation, will try to follow existing tracks, even with the nose detuned, and the resulting wiggle'll concentrate the mind. Flat, it'll have you off

On piste/trails it pays to stay on an edge at ALL times. Even a slight edge will do. When looking down from the lifts at quicker boarders they often appear riding flat, but if you look at the trail behind them you'll see they're not.

But BOOthy, as we've all found out (myself included, on may occasions), it does pay to be on the right edge................................... Shocked

A board will only "castor" behind the leading foot when there are no other tracks to influence it's direction. Which for most people is seldom.

Board safely, and remeber to shout "whoop" when you land one.

John.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I disagree back Smile if I gun it straight the board is flat. I do agree though that at all other times the board is slightly on one edge though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
actually, rethinking, I'm going to study this tomorrow, it maybe you're right. I shall experiment tomorrow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, Stab, take care with that. If you have enough inertia I'm sure you'd be able to run flat through most things. Just don't get busting yourself up proving me wrong.

John.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing I'll be ok, learnt my lesson in catching edges a long time ago, taken far too many high speed heel/toe edges to do it again.

Just the more I think about it the more I cant remember how I do it, flat or flat with slight edge pressure. Tomorrow will tell. If I don't come back then you were right Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ride with a VERY slight/subtle edge. Though when you're progressing it's perhaps not recommended. And there's no wrong or right, whatever works for you.

Sounds like you're on the snow. Europe if you're talking not riding. Enjoy it. I'm just back but go out again in six weeks, for a week. And then there's a chance I'll go back to Canada two weeks after that, for a couple of weeks, work permitting.

Ride safe.

John.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helmet essential. No question. I always use wrist guards, bum protection and knee pads too, but then I am old and rickety. A teenager could probably do without the bum and knee protection (my daughter didn't bother with either). Rather than mediocre lessons (instructors here tend to teach people to turn by flinging their arms around, which I don't think is quite kosher) you could buy "Go Snowboard" by Neil McNab, available from Amazon, which has a DVD with it. From what very little I know about snowboarding, it seems good, though if you ride regular the fact that all the pics and the demos are of goofy riders is slightly confusing to start with. The "Boarding Skool" video is also useful even if the jokey format is tiresome. That can be bought from SCGB and sometimes Snow and Rock. Other people may have different opinions of these learning tools, I'd be interested to hear any comments.
latest report
Learn how to board from a DVD? Shocked

Get some decent private lessons, I'd say.
ski holidays
I had 3 one-to-ones from very good riders (not instructors though) and they were terrific so if the lessons are from a decent instructor I would have thought it was your best bet.

Not so sure about a class of 10 newbies that I saw a couple of days ago though
snow conditions
Agree entirely, BOOthy. If you're lucky enough to know one (several), AND they can convey the subtleties of what you're trying to achieve, that's by far the best way.

All the kids I've spoken to lately (I'm an old man now, they talk to me. I think they see it as some kind of care in the community...........) regarding boarding lessons out in resort, seem less than impressed, including the young lady who bust her wrist. She'd had a couple of days learning with her chap, previous to having a lesson (one on one), in Jasper. Said the lesson was a waste of money, and learnt nothing.

Can only go back to when I learned the basics of boarding, at Telford dry slope some years back. The instructor actually taught you the basics, as they should be taught, edges, balance and weight. Best instruction and money spent, regarding snow sports, I've ever come across. Other than that, dry slope boarding is a waste of time.

John.
snow report
I learned the basics at Sheffield Ski Village, and thought their instruction was good. Max group size = 6, so lots of individual attention.
snow conditions
stab wrote:
I disagree back Smile if I gun it straight the board is flat. I do agree though that at all other times the board is slightly on one edge though.

back to this topic.. as your learning, paths etc are knackering as you like to be up on an edge and often its the same one for a while.. once you can ride flat and not go into a panic spasm at the first wiggle you know you have arrived.. this makes life far easier on your legs n feet.. but no mater how good you are riding flat can of course always bite you in the backside if you not concentrating.. the better you get the flatter you board on the more mellow runs, the more relaxed you become as you are accustomed to riding at higher speeds.. but to be honest most stuff is on a camber or your negotiating some people or bumps...
riding flat over end of day bumps n slop on a run you know well at pace is always good fun tho
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

riding flat over end of day bumps n slop on a run you know well at pace is always good fun tho

Fun but it takes me a week to get the confidence to do this so I only get one shot at it on the last day, fond memories of the run back ollieing through the trees at La Plagne tho. snowHead
latest report
twoodwar, i would reccommend a couple of mornings of private lessons. as a proficient skiier chances are she'll pick it up quicker than a load of snow virgins and will progress faster than the rest of the group -which can tend to go at the pace of the slowest learner. last year i was away and one of my group decided to switch from skiing to learn boarding. he had two mornings of private one on one lessons and by the end of the week was better than his older brother who was on his fourth week boarding! (much to his brothers annoyance!)

as has been mentioned above the hardest part for her will be around day 3 - she'll be hurting and aching and looking at the rest of the mountain thinking "i could be coming down there instead of being on this green slope hurting my butt again!"

also - helmet is a must. ive been riding in one for a couple years and now wouldnt even contemplate going on the slopes with out it - it would be like driving a car with out a seat belt on. as a learner shes highly likely to catch her heel edge when facing up the slope which can be quite nasty. you go backwards past the horizontal and your head whips back on to the snow (or ice!) you dont have to be going fast (or even moving!) for it to really hurt.
ski holidays
Lizzard, wrote
Quote:

Learn how to board from a DVD?

I agree that a good private lesson would be better, but a poor group lesson would not. I did a day at MK, which was excellent, but I didn't find a private lesson in resort much help, even though it was with an instructor I've had good ski lessons with. As I said, he taught turning by arm and shoulder flinging partly, I think, because his English wasn't good enough to explain the subtleties of foot steering. A good DVD, if you use it sensibly, can be a useful aid and every little helps. I found the McNab DVD useful and I spent two entire sessions at the dentist, having a root canal filling, mentally working out how the foot steering he describes would work for a regular rider. If nothing else, it helped pass the time with no stress! The root canal work hurt less than my subsequent snowboarding session, I have to say so maybe the visualisation wasn't an unalloyed success.
Quote:

you go backwards past the horizontal and your head whips back on to the snow (or ice!)

yep, did it this week, getting off a very easy button lift, panicked by mother and two littlies faffing round the exit ramp. Had a helmet on, but it did still hurt my neck. Felt an idiot too, but you get used to that as a beginner snowboarder, especially an elderly one. I'm looking forward to it being cold enough to wear a neoprene face mask with my helmet, then nobody will know... rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy