Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Dump 1st-5th Jan??

Poster: A snowHead
Suprised there hasn't been more discussion here.

I've been watching the USAF model quite closely over the last few days, and watching the weather systems move in:
http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/asp/syn00120_looperb.asp?name=synoptic&loc=GifImages

Some of the higher resorts in France (e.g. Tignes) are forecast over 1m in 2 days:
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Tignes_snow.html

However, elsewhere (southern Alps/3v etc), it's looking like it might possible be too warm, with 30cm or so on upper slopes, and rain lower down:
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Les_Deux_Alpes_snow.html
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Courchevel_snow.html

Over in Austria, story looks good. e.g. 1.4M due in Soelden (and 1m down on the lower slopes). All of the higher Tyrolean reorts look good (e.g. over 1m in Ischgl):
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Solden_snow.html
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Ischgl_snow.html

Lower resorts like Saalbach and Mayrhofen seem to fair pretty well with 60cm or so, although a slight rise in freezing level could be pretty devastating to the thin cover they have on their lower slopes:
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Saalbach_Hinterglemm_snow.html
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Mayrhofen_snow.html

Looks like some people could get quite lucky snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do hope so, im all packed up ready for the off, just the 24 hour bus jorney to go!
snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a great relief, was on the verge of not going on 7th to soll. Although the town might not be snowy looks like the rest is in for a foot or so this week.
I shall now allow myself to get a little excited.

the USAF animation has been bubbling up for a few days. The j2ski forecasts are the most optimistic on the net but then they are flogging holidays aren't they.

Line up the flugerls Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Various Snowheads have been talking about the early-Jan snow for at least a week:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22113&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It looks like the Western Alps will get a reasonable dump, while the East will get less, overall. There is going to be some rain below roughly 1500m for a day or two.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now it's for sure ! Sunday night, monday and tuesday all day, and thursday too .... lots of snow ! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great news - but off-pisters beware of avalanche risk, I guess.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ian bloomfield wrote:
The j2ski forecasts are the most optimistic on the net but then they are flogging holidays aren't they.

Metcheck's another source of free 6 day forecasts, although slightly harder to read. They don't have any holidays to sell and the numbers are pretty similar:

e.g. Tignes: http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=38
and Soelden: http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=262

Note they graph most of Monday and Thusrsday precipitation for Soelden as rain, even though freezing level is just above bottom slope. To me it suggests snow down to just above the valley.

whitegold wrote:
It looks like the Western Alps will get a reasonable dump, while the East will get less, overall. There is going to be some rain below roughly 1500m for a day or two.

Not sure it's quite so simple as east/west. Saalbach (Salzburgerland, and pretty much the east of the Alps) is forecast (fingers-crossed as I am out there 2 weeks today) by both Metcheck and j2ski to have 50-60cm down to the valley (1000m).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it's going to be very interesting to see just where the snow-line is over the next couple of days - looking at meteo france (chamonix, flaine and pds) it's going to be very high monday 2000m at 7am (top station in most of pds), 1700m at 1pm at only down to 1500m by 7pm. Tuesday looks much better as long as the precipitation lasts!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what do you guys think about the chances of la plagne getting a good dump,snow forecast say half a meter,metcheck are saying a light dusting,any1 mind sharing there ideas of the charts?(if i could read them i would)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meteo France say it will defo snow Tuesday - La Plagne should also get some Monday

Meteo.fr are the only ral people who ever get this right.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ian bloomfield wrote:
but then they are flogging holidays aren't they.
Puzzled

That comment wasn't necessary. We generate our snow forecasts from raw GFS data - "number of holidays to sell" is not a factor in our predicted snow depth calculation... NehNeh

...like all snow forecasts, we sometimes get it wrong but let's hope we haven't this time! snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's raining very hard this morning all the way up to 2000mtrs Shocked
Radio LP weather report says the driving rain will turn to snow overnight down to 1000mtrs with strong winds all day to-morrow Confused

ps. Right now the temperature is +6c at 1350mtrs Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at Les Carroz web cam this morning, what little snow we were skiing on last week looks destroyed by the rain Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
J2Dave, I apologise if i offended you, but your forecast is way more optimistic than any other on the internet. I therefore suspected that yours may have been geared that way to encourage more people to the Alps. It wouldn't be the first time that this scenario has happened.

I truly hope that your's is correct as I am away on sunday.

wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carroz, I'm sure you're right. We arrived here yesterday in brilliant sunshine and daughter and boyfriend (beginner snowboarders) went and slid around a bit on terrible slopes, alternating between very thin snow, ice sheets and grass. It's around 3 degrees at 1500 but that's significantly cooler than last night when we went to bed (yes, bed by 10pm on New Year's Eve, sad, but we drove all night from Calais on Saturday/Sunday). Tonight and tomorrow local forecasts and local knowledge (ski shop man!) say snow, and a decent fall would mean good piste skiing. Off-piste is a long way off, but some fresh cover on the grass will cheer things up a lot and after yesterday's efforts my beginner snowboarders will be ecstatic.
latest report
La Tania webcam looks this morning like much of the snowcover has been stripped off overnight. Seems to be raining in Meribel village.
snow report
The webcam at Arc 1950 was showing rain this morning but now this has turned to snow, so the freezing level is falling.
snow conditions
Looks like the rain at Avoriaz has started to fall as snow too by the webcam. Here's hoping it drops lower and carries on for a decent load. Smile
latest report
the webcam at grizzly (vallandry) is showing -3C (was 0C 2 hours ago).

Can anyone give it wipe , cant see anything NehNeh
latest report
tuxpoo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
snow conditions
2pm

Flaine 1600m - Now has Snow - looks very wet but the trees are turning white.

The temps are set to come down but not by much and not for long
snow conditions
tuxpoo, welcome to snowHead s.

Surely if the webacm is showing -3C, this cannot be coinsidered grizzly?! Puzzled
ski holidays
can i just mention that last year when it was +6 it was snowing! explain that if you can coz it baffles me that it can snow one year at +6 and rain the next at +21
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
La Tania webcam looks this morning like much of the snowcover has been stripped off overnight. Seems to be raining in Meribel village.

looks like its turned to snow in La Tania now Smile

from latania.co.uk

at long last the white stuff falls again, Happy New year
14.00 local time the rain that started this morning at last turns to lovely snowflakes in resort. Snow level dropped from 2200 overnight down to 1100 now and should drop to 700m tomorrow with snow continuing through wednesday and even thursday say Meteo France. That will cure a few nasty hangovers.
Report issued by Ferg - ski deep on Monday 01 January 2007 at 14:51
snow report
Just got back from Meribel this morning left at 3am Sad ... it was chuckin it down with snow all the way down as low as B le B.
I would say there is 20-30cm had fallen by then. Meribel needed it... snow cannons where just keeping it alive all week.

Was really happy that I had to come back to work ... err not !
snow report
As expected, it has hooned down in parts of the Western Alps (5 - 50cm), less so in the East (2 - 30cm).

La Plagne and the 3 Valleys, in particular, look like they have had a tasty dump of 30cm+.

Temps look set to rise in the next few days, so the rain may yet return lower down, particularly in the Eastern half.
ski holidays
la tania webpage looks loads better now, looks like a foot+ on the trampolines in the village Smile
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
La Plagne and the 3 Valleys, in particular, look like they have had a tasty dump of 30cm+.

MeteoFrance are reporting at least 50cm in La Plagne at 3,000m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from La Rosiere, the local radio forecast a light dusting on Sat night which was spot-on, 44-50cms on Mon and 20 cms Tues. By Monday it was still warm so at village level it was raing but there was a good dump at 2,400 metres +, its still snowing now and the freezing level is below the village. The problem over the next week or so will be that the unstable base will increase the risk of avalnches
snow report
Well, that is welcome indeed. We're off to Courchevel for two weeks on 27th, i.e. three weeks this coming Saturday. Exciting to see it all come alive. Just hope they manage to open a few more of the reds and blacks in the Courchevel valley.
snow report
we've had over 50 cms in the Beaufortain and still dumping.
snow report
pam w, dont look for sympathy here ! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy