Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for what ski wear to buy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks (hope all had a good festive break!)

building up to our completely first-time ski trip in Feb (yet to be booked on advise of you pros here), have decided to buy a proper jacket/pants for this trip.

do I just go into a sports store and buy what is seemingly best value or is there more to it? features I should look for? a particular brand? what is average price here in UK, shop or online (no problems with this if a reliable source can be pointed to)?

also, I have a pair of boots...is this suitable wear or do I need specific snow wear?

alternately, happy to hear directly from any snowheads here whom have older jacket/pants they wish to be rid of that is adequate for a slim tall fella (she is sorting out her own). just pm me

Thanks very much again

ps: amazingly superb no.1 ski forum I have found Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

I see your location is Manchester, head into the city centre and pay a visit to TK Maxx, it has lots of excellent ski wear at great prices, that's where my wife and I purchased all of ours from :- jacket,pants,thermal base/mid layers, ski socks, goggles,gloves & boots.

We are off to Niederau in Austria on 13th Jan, looks as if the snow will arrive the week before as well, so should be a great first ski holiday for us both.

Cheers!

Mike
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikeb2168, thanks. will indeed check TK Maxx out tomorrow.

Regarding boots, are they any specific ones for the snow or will any decent leather boots do?

oh yeah, wearing glasses for short-sightedness, will goggles be able to be worn over them? don't have contacts but can try get a set made before trip if I have to. Any advice from experienced short-sighted skiers welcomed Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are models of goggle that are specifically designed to go over glasses (often marked 'OTG'). This is much cheaper than the alternative - of goggles with prescription lenses Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cersei, any sturdy boots will do - visit Makro if you have one near you - they do some excellent boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally, I've never found boots for walking around resort essential.

With regards to OTG or contacts.... my advise would be to get your eyes lasered Toofy Grin The wife and I had it done a couple of years ago and has revolutionised our lives, particularly with things like boarding. Just being able to wear regular sunglasses, instead of always having to wear OTG goggles, is great. Anyway, won't bang on about that anymore otherwise you'll think I'm on commission! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cersei,

Of the two, contacts above glasses every single time... No fogging in and out of doors and when you take a fall you don't have to pick up the glasses. Unless your prescription will not allow it, contacts are far far far better for snow sports, IMV.

A good sturdy shoe/boot with a rubber sole for walking around in snow - hopefully- will do.

Trainers are awful and useless unless the snow has been cleared away.

Buy sunscreen factor 30 or above and use it daily. And good UV sunglasses as well although contacts reduce UV by 75% by default and they have special UV ones now which reduce UV by 98% minimum, which is the bottom line for a anti UV mark
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

I would go layers and spend my investment in the shell and the base layers. I reckon you can get good quality ski wear reasonably cheaply, like someone said saw some OK stuff in tesco or there are a few places online. Next, GEorge etc do them too I think- I saw an article in Sunday Observer that tested them and rated them quite highly. I reckon you need waterproof outer for europe and I always prefer a snow skirt- elasticated thing inside jacket to stop snow riding up.

I have never been if Feb - so don't know how cold it is- but generally I am prone to cold and find mittens rather than gloves essential. Difficult to get men's mitts though!!!

My H wears contacts for skiing but they do sometimes dry out. GEt decent goggles with two layers.

I would consider a helmet too.

Round the resort anything sturdyish will do. I now wear salamon goretex trainers which are great.

L
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cersei, If you are going to make a last minute booking for Feb i hope it is not the school holiday week as if so you could have a problem
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd definitely second riverman on that. First or last week of Feb perhaps but there wont be any decent deals for the two in the middle.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
riverman and admin, thanks but am definately avoiding the half-term holidays and plan to go week before (ie 3rd/4th).

m00958, thanks for laser recommendations and believe me, have thought long and hard about it and aware of all the risks and benefits...having very high short-sightedness, it is highly unlikely to completely abolish my need for glasses...so something for the future perhaps but not now. For same reasons, I find difficult getting right contacts for this high power.

Will go look for these OTG goggles instead as recommended by admin

Thanks for tip on boots and UV protection JT

gryphea, thanks for actual answers to what to wear too! snow shirt sounds like a great idea.

Any more thoughts and advice much appreciated
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cersei, I have a friend who's -10 (or something like that), and the only thing he can go for is a clear lens replacement as lasering wouldn't leave enough cornea. I was only -4/5. It was truly amazing to walk out 1 hour after the op and, albeit through watering eyes, see almost perfectly.

Used to use OTG goggles before the op, and they were the way to go.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
m00958, thanks for info. unfortunately I am close to your friend's -10 level. as my eyes are indeed crucial to my work, not going to risk them now heh.

Any particular OTG goggle brands/features I should look for?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cersei, bit of food for thought in these 2 threads:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20578
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=19235
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier, thanks for those links. Have had a good read and know what to look for in OTG goggles.
snow conditions
cersei, go outdoors and decathlon both have stores in Stockport, and are worth checking out for good, cheap gear.
ski holidays
I would second the TK max, my jacket was done & I picked up a good columbia jacket for under 60 quid, I also bought both the kids their gear their this week. It is worth spending a good bit of time seraching around the store, I got the same jacket for 20 quid less in the clearance section. They have all sorts of branded names there.
ski holidays
Thanks for all of the above.

For a first time skier (hopefully not last time but guess that awaits to be seen), do I need to buy a Ski Helmet? I know it may seem like a silly question and obviously I do want to protect the soft bits in this skull but am just wondering what folks thoughts are? I see some on ebay for about £20 which seems reasonable but everything I buy is adding to final bill/things to bring
snow report
I would echo TK Maxx as a good place to get ski wear at a good price. My 2 kids went skiing last year for the first time and we set them up with jackets/trousers/gloves tec from TKM.

As for glasses, I'm VERY shortsighted but am still wary of the side effects of laser. I ski with contacts and that way you can wear goggles or sun glasses with no problems, and no fogging up etc! Have fun. snowHead
snow report
We have found SMITH OTG goggles work fine. We got ours from snow & rock(near M/cr airport). with ref. to helmets i would personally stay clear of 2nd. hand gear. We've been helmet users for several years now. Hire a helmet with your skis. Good luck on your first trip. You'll probably end up addicted to snow sports like the rest of us loonies around here. Very Happy
snow report
cersei,

I wouldn't go overboard with every bit of gear. If you are learning I would say you could do without a helmet. You will fall alot but you shouldn't be going too fast.
ski holidays
I'd go for TK Maxx too, I got myself some sunglasses from there for myself this christmas, £40 down to a tenner, brilliant. I wear my goggles over the glasses, I got them quite cheap from Decathlon, or I wear contact lenses and sunnies. (I don't think mum would let me get laser treatment on my eyes.) I had a good look at all the jackets and trousers and they look good but cheap. Very Happy
As for helmets, I got a skateboarding helmet for when I started doing that and rollerblading, and it can also be used for skiing - I've only used it at Castleford when doing the jumps and stuff, but I think now I'm starting to get faster and better (hopefully lol) I'll wear it on the mountain too. Not as good protection as a full ski helmet I assume, but still quite good, and nice and light and unrestrictive, and cheap.
Have a good trip!
latest report
thanks to all replies above. will give buying helmets a go but may hire them if available with skis.

as for OTG goggles, am looking at these Birdz Eyewear range on Ebay. Seems to be £20-25 depending on style. They claim to have anti-fog, DVS venting etc and other features it is meant to have?

Will check out TK Maxx tomorrow and explore the options there

Once again, thank you again

Now to figure out this "baselayer" concept...
snow conditions
We wear walking boots in the snow and they are just fine - they are good walking boots because we do a fair mileage on them (mine are Meindl and Mr Docsquid's are Raichle). I would say that if you have them, waterproof boots would be a good idea, as the snow at resort level can be a bit slushy, particularly in lower resorts.

Baselayers are useful for lots of other sports besides skiing - I use mine for cycling and walking and running. So how much you spend depends on how much you think you might use them for other things during the year.

If you have small spectacles and face, Adidas goggles will fit over your glasses, with the bonus that you can upgrade them to a prescription insert should you want to in future.
snow conditions
if you are going to france you will probably find you are the only adult beginners in helmets (not made enough trips elsewhere to judge) - but if they make you feel safer go for it!

Decathlon gear is good - just try on whatever you plan to buy and make sure it is comfy and that when you sit down there isn't a gap between the trousers and the jacket! One piece might be tempting, but is a pain if you want to use the loo and well not that well regarded, erm stylistically, right now - with one of those and a helmet I fear you would be regarded as the comedy interval on the slopes Wink Some of the decathlon cheaper gear is rather 'stiff' around the neck and joints so risk looking a fool and have a good walk round in your chosen outfit to make sure it isn't rubbing your neck or restricting movement anywhere. Their cheapest saloppettes and jackets are from about £30 each iirc. I wouldn't suggest a beginner spends more than £100 on jacket/£60 on salopettes? But then I am rather skinflint at the best of times...Buy 3 pairs each of the standard thick ski socks (not recommended with your own boots but handy with the less form fitting hire boots), unless you are more fussy than my friends each pair will do two days fine. Might be worth bringing two pairs of gloves, beginners fall down a little more often and so can end up with wet gloves - putting your hands into wet gear is NASTY - so a one on, one drying can be a nice way to go.

It's not _that_ cold skiing btw (in france/austria/andorra/italy anyway), and when learning you are usually rather toasty from the unaccomstomed effort! From end of jan I usually just have a t-shirt and my jacket on, maybe a thin fleece (mine are tescos "value"- no need for fancy brands). Don't be lured into thinking you are going to antarctica and must spend hundreds of pounds and get 20 layers, one of my friend skiied for 3 years in tracky bottoms under waterproof trousers and two fleeces under a kagool! For recreational skiers a lot of the gear is more for the look than the need imo. I don't recommend this approach but just to illustrate that you are unlikely to need the latect £250 jacket plus matching £200 trousers combo that an unkind salesman might try and steer you towards. A fleece scarf is useful as it can get cold on the lifts. A hat is pretty much a necessity, but the style is up to you!

Boots do sunscreen in a squishy foil pack which is useful as it doesn't hurt if you fall on it. Don't forget lip balm with sunscreen too. Other than that don't worry - if necessary you can buy everything you need in resort and the cheap stuff there is usually on a par on price and quality with cheap stuff here so no big deal if you forget something.

Enjoy your trip!

aj xx
snow report
cersei, I don't generally feel cold skiing with just a ski jacket and long sleeved t-shirt below - the best thing i bought is a fleecy neck thing (not explaining this very well!!) - you slip it over your head and it sits snug round your neck - keeps draughts out - also if you get too warm if fits in your posket - I think I got mine in a ski shop but they only cost about £10.

Hope you have a great time snowHead
snow report
Strongly second every single word of Mrs johnboys' post.

Kathmandu were doing a good range of the neck thingies last winter and they were going half price when I bought one on 10th Jan 2006.

As for the eyewear issue, previously my wife made the neck things for me and our boys, but she buggered off with somebody who didn't wear glasses...
latest report
For the poster who said you arent going to the artic and a mate of theres skied in track suit bottoms, I got stuck on a chair for 45 min at 2 alps 4 years ago and it was -30.Ive been trained in Artic warfare survival and yes you are are going on holiday to well maintained , well policed , and well populated ski areas, but treat the mountains with the respect they desrve.Buy the best you can afford, I wear a 2 jacket and fleece by Jack wolskin and have just got the missus a Salomon ski jacket which will keep her toatie in the hotel bar. Lecture over. Always carry a piste map and type french or wherever you are going , there emergency numbers into your charged up cell phone.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That was trackies and waterproofs - trackies on their own would be madness - they'd get wet! Toofy Grin

Seriously, point taken boo, but I think it's easy for people to assume it will be much colder than anything at home and it isn't. I have been stuck on lifts, bad weather etc etc and never been really cold. Bored yes, if you don't have hat scarf and a fleece available you'd be in trouble but my cheaper gear (aldi&decathlon) actually seems to be better than my columbia and helly stuff in terms of heat retention.

I just can't see the 'buy the best you can afford' thing - I could afford any gear I wanted but theres no way for a 3 weeks a year hobby I'm going to shell out hundreds of pounds - much of the gear available now is just expensive gimmickry that your average recreational skier just doesn't need. I wasn't suggesting anyone followed my skinflint friends approach btw - just a lighthearted proof of my point. We skied in all sorts of weather and he never once seemed to be cold or suffering, there again hes a forces man and I don't think they believe in complaining!

aj xx
ski holidays
It's worth remembering that everyone's different. The arguments about when the central heating goes on should show that (the missus wouldn't go up the mountain in less than three layers in warm weather). I tend to base the skiing provision on hillwalking provision (no use to all I admit). But in both you have periods of exercise (and possibly sweat) followed by periods of inactivity. the intensity and length frequency of switch is different, but it's enough to know if you run hot or run cold. Also, some people put more physical effort into their skiing than others. This may mean they are warmer during activity, but have more sweat (and thus cooling) when stationary for a while. The person who tends to run warmer, tends to be the one with the bigger sweat problem and so tends to feel warmer when active and colder if stopped for half an hour.

However, on the mountains it's best to assume that you will be colder than you'd expect (not arctic, but assume that you will be cold at times). It's better to start warm and adjust down, especially when you're starting out skiing. This is why layering is a very good concept - though by the end of the week you may be wearing fewer layers than at the start. There is little need to buy expensive stuff - especially as *most* nursery slopes tend not to that exposed, and the cheaper gear is perfectly good enough (inc. brands like Regatta as well as "ski gear"). Also, I think there's no need to have a specific ski jacket or top. All the stuff I ski in I use at other times of the year (not just for walking either), so even though some of it may be expensive, it's (a) used year round and (b) so far lasted me several years and still has plenty of years' life in them yet. The ski-specific stuff has tended not to last.

Finally you are on holiday, and if you're cold and/or wet you won't enjoy it as much (if you're hot you can remove a layer). Why pay hundreds of pounds for a ski holiday to be miserable just because the weather's not great? "Buy the best you can afford" combines "Buy cheap, buy twice" with "Make sure what you have is at least adequate", I think. Some may disagree with what constitutes "adequate", but that's the point of the above paragraphs.

Oh, and the neck thingy's called a "buff". My mate uses a balaclava for the same job, but it doubles up as an erm, balaclava in very cold conditions.
snow conditions
wow, some great advice from all above. Thank you very much

am very appreciative of not going overboard for a "3 week a year" holiday if at all Smile

will of course get enough to keep warm and thanks to all above, am on right track I think

picked up a nice Balaclava/buff thing which seems good value.

all I need is the snow now...
ski holidays
What most people ski in wouldn't be sufficient for the Arctic anyway. I don't see why an XCR layer system jacket with a base layer would be any more effective than what a.j.'s friend wore, as long as a bit of care was taken over covering over the joins and the cagoule/fleece was windproof as well as waterproof. The main advantage of technical gear is in breathability, weight and convenience (and looks wink). If economising, making sure you have appropriate fleece scarf/buff, headwear, gloves are probably more important than getting ski specific jacket/trousers imho.
snow report
Glad to report after my trip that indeed it was not that cold on most days in Arinsal. There were only 2 particular mornings when it was bitingly cold! For that my fave item was the balaclava (also foldable to be just a cap or a neck warmer). Ski jacket, thermals below and good gloves on and was sorted.

Thanks for all the advice.

ps: also wore my own glasses with sunnies clipped on. held by £3 retainer I bought over there and did not use OTG goggles at all (own glasses tend to fog up within). despite numerous falls, no problems with glasses which stayed on.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy