Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here's probably a daft question but here goes Blush. I've been considering getting a helmet for a while now, I've also started mountain biking quite a bit and need one for that. Is there a helmet on the market that would be suitable for both? As far as I can see the only major differences (apart from styles) are that mountain bike helmets try to stay light and cool your head as much as possible while skiing helmets give a warmer lining and a groove for the googles strap. Am I looking at it all too simplistic? Don't throw too much abuse this way as I've no head protection yet wink . Cheers snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, if you get a skiing one you will sweat like mad when you mountain bike, and if you get a mountain bike your head will freeze like mad when youre skiing... I'd never be too cheap on helmets personally, i just got an Alpine one the other day, was 100 euros which to me is :/ But... if it's going to save my life then i'll glady pay that much for it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep - I'd agree with Timmaah. You're better getting separate helmet for both.

Human nature being what it is, you areunlikely to wear the helmet if you think you look a complete plonker in it.... ...so IMHO its worth taking the time and spending extra money on one that you think suits you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah thats one bit of equipment not to try to save money on! and as said above ur not gonna wear it if ya look a tit in it! mtb lids are ment so that u bearly know your wearing on with maximum ventilation and lightness being the main objectives. my mtb lid was £75 and i'd get some funny looks and cold ears weaing it on piste so i'm now on the hut for a ski lid looking to spend about the same. it would be nice to be able to have one lid for a multitude of purposes but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, thought that might be the case but with new designs looking similar (ie. skate style) and me being a tight git wink thought there may be a mtb lid that has add ons for winter riding or a ski helmet that has excellent ventilation for warmer weather. Worth asking before I start my search. Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear a helmet on my bike for the last ten tears after getting knocked off it and doing a head plant into the kerb and would not dream of riding my bike with out it.

However I only got a helmet for skiing last year. I thought about it for a few years but keep putting it off as not necessary, but now I got one I will wear it most of the time if not all, just on very hot days would I not think about wearing it, and sod's law say the day I don’t wear it I will need it.

It would be nice to think one helmet could do both but by sitting them side by side I would say (with no scientific proof) That the ski helmet is stronger therefore I would say a bike helmet is made to take less of an impact.

I'm sure a net geek Wink will pop up soon with the facts behind the relevant standards.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick_C, I'd of guessed vice versa strength-wise - seems my ski helmet is thinner on the top but more rounded at the sides and covers more of my head (including ears), so warmth + protection from knocks that dont have a focused impact - while bike helmet seems thicker and concentrated on the top of my noggin. My "science-free" theory is that one's built to smack concrete hard and one's built to hit a slightly more shock absorbant slidy surface Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
toiletduckuk, I would have thought so too, maybe I should worried by the fact my bike helmet seems a bit insubstantial Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As someone who is only here today thanks to a MTB helmet (bad crash 9 years ago had me off work for 3 months) I've been a strong advocate of bike helmets for a long time, yet only bought a ski helmet last year. Puzzled

Anyhoooo...... "proper" mtb helmets are designed to keep your head cool over long distances of heavy exertion. The more universal style helmets are for street and park riding, with more impact protection but no ventilation to speak of. If you try any distance beyond a couple of miles with one of these you'll pass out from heat exhaustion. Ditto if you used something like my Scott Shadow ski lid I doubt you'd get out of your driveway!

You can get a decent mtb lid from £35 and a ski one from around £60. Worth the outlay.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
forgot to mention above that i also ride bmx and have a protec classic style skate lid. i wear this on the park at the dryslope all the time as principally it will protect me to exactly the same extent as a ski lid, the only main differnce being a ski helmet has to keep yer bonce warm! my ears get cold at the dryslope in the protec so i hate to think what it'd be like in the mountains. hope this helps
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy