Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie needs equipment advice.. Can you help?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've been skiing on and off for a few years and would consider myself at the top end of novice Very Happy

I'm off to Switzerland again in a few days for the new year, and again in Feb and want to buy some skis and boots, rather than hire again.

I mostly stick to the traditional 'easier' runs with no off piste skiing.... yet!

Could you please offer some personal advice on which skis and boots I should look at?

I do appreciate your help and have no doubt that this is a question asked many times, so I appreciate your help.

Regards
N
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noodles3, welcome to snowheads. Are you male or female? It does affect the advice you will get.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi noodles3, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I think the general advice would be to find a good bootfitters through recommendation, either here in the UK or in resort. Your bootfitter will then tell you what boots will be suitable for you, both in terms of foot shape and skiing ability.

If you want to say where you are in the UK or where you're going skiing then I'm sure people will have some recommendations for bootfitters for you.

Sort out a good pair of comfortable boots and finding your skis'll be easy! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks achilles, I'm male. And I notice you are from Lincs... me too.
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At your level, buy boots and spend money on getting them right, and hire skis until you have progressed enough to know what you want and like. Don't commit to one pair of skis for a few years yet.

welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
noodles3, greetings Yellowbelly Very Happy

Cathy's advice about boots is very sound. As for skis, one suggestion is to try the Fischer RX8. You may find it a little challenging - but you would grow into it, I think. Whereas if you bought skis you felt were spot on for where you are now, you might prgress beyond them quickly. Others will give there thoughts, I am sure. If you can, try before you buy.

[edit]PS stoatsbrother's advice (which I hadn't seen before I posted first time) of hiring whilst you skiing is developing, makes a lot of sense.[/edit]
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHead noodles3, another yellowbelly here chipping in with the "boots is good, wait for skis" line of advice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, thanks for the advice - any type/brand I should look out for?..

achilles, Laughing I'll look up the RX8's. I've heard a lot about Solomon as a good brand (or is this just good branding?)

For reference I'll be in Villars, incase anybody has any recommendations for bootfitters.

Thanks for your help.
Rgds
N

Thanks FenlandSkier, seems the consensus so far is to buy good boots and experiment with the skis..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
noodles3, hi and welcome to Snowheads - my brother's gerbil is called Noodle !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
noodles3, maybe have a look at RX6s as well. But I am somewhat with FenlandSkier, and stoatsbrother on hiring skis, you may well find that the best ski for you now may not be the best in a few skiing weeks time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi and welcome, I'm another voice saying get good boots this time and ski's in a few more weeks of skiing, You will progess so fast now that any you like now will not suit you later and any advanced you buy now may put a dampener on your enjoyment, i.e. you will find them hard work.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick_C, yup - that was why I was having second thoughts about the RX8s.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
noodles3, Doesn't matter who makes the boots as long as they fit right. People look at your skis and jackets - only high level geeks (and there might be some here... wink ) will judge you by your boots. Choose by fit rather than brand. Go for the middle of the range, not the top. You do not need or want boots which are very tough to flex. Go to see a proper fitter, not someone who did a 3 day course. Expect to spend 3 hours in the shop, and don't go on a Saturday. Expect to get custom footbeds made unless you are one of the 5% of the population with perfect feet which don't supinate or pronate under pressure. Money saved on buying boots cheaply/on ebay/from a mate is money you will be spending on another pair of boots very soon...

Skis - try different ones - the shop should charge no extra. This is your time to put it about a bit before you settle into a stable relationship with 1 or 2 pairs of skis. But don't get too hung up. I think a lot of us test skis and see if they fit in with our own existing bad habits rather than try to see if we can adapt to new skis and use them to improve our habits and technique.

One last thing - Buy a helmet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
noodles3, From one novice to another - you'll find this group are keen on sorting out good fitting boots first. They've convinced me to do the same when my skiings at the stage to contemplate ownership. I bought a helmet first!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very Happy Thanks for all the very useful information folks, like I said earlier, I really appreciate your thoughts..

Sounds like I'm going to be sitting in the shop for a few hours, whilst getting the boots sorted out!

lampbus, obviously a great choice of name for a hampster Laughing
snow report
Just remember noodles3 is all that time waiting for a boot fitter to find the right boots for you will almost certainly result in supreme comfort for your feet which in skiing is vital. You'll wonder how you managed to put up with rental boots! Cool
ski holidays
noodles3, welcome to SnowHeads.

Without getting all specific ( I'll leave that to the pros ) my 2p would be, unless money is no object for you, don't spend the earth on your gear. Main reason being - as you progress, you're gonna want more advanced/specific stuff. With the boots, see if you can get one of those "hire for a week, and if I like them, I'll buy them" deals ? Good luck, your choices now will no doubt shape your skiing for some time
latest report
Thanks all, some great advice here. I think I'll take the advice and get boots first then the skis later.
Happy new year all Very Happy
N
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
With the boots, see if you can get one of those "hire for a week, and if I like them, I'll buy them" deals ?

Good to do with skis - not sure how that works with boots, especially if you need alteration work Confused
snow report
cathy, In my experience, I've tended to see these kind of deals in resort rather than here....... but I'm sure that Snow & Rock do/used to do something similar ?
ski holidays
Just a quick update....

Went to Villars for the new year - what a blast. No snow in the village and little up the hill, but still a good time was had by all.

I found a decent shop - www.holidaysport.ch - who took the time to make sure that the boot was just right, and yes it does take a few hours!

I went for the Nordica GTS 12 - http://www.nordica.com/skiboots/scheda.php?s=3&target=335 - which means nothing to me, but they were the most comfortable snowHead

I appreciate all the help offered before my trip, I would have not had a clue what to look for without your help.

Thanks all, and Happy New Year. Very Happy
N
latest report
noodles3, glad you had a good time, boots look great, have you started planning your next trip? Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy