Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel by sleeper coach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just seen about sleeper coaches. Now, I have gone to the Alps on a double decker bus converted to crude bunk accommodation ion the upper floor. But this looks rather better. Anybody tried them? I have my skiing travel booked for next season - but favourable feedback from anybody using this service could affect my transport decisions another season.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, I have never used them, but like you have considered them.

I wonder how they fit in with French seat belt laws?

The only thing I remember reading on here is that you end up with someone else's feet in your face all night, but it would be interesting to see other reports. I was given some anti-bacterial foot spray/deoderant for Christmas (my children trying to tell me something Confused ). that may be a worthwhile investment wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are going to St anton mid January in a sleeper coach, a party of 14 of us leave from a central spot in town next to a cafe for the inaugural breakfast and we arrive in st anton on sunday morning ready for a days ski. A great advantage is that we leave for the home journey on sunday evening after 8 days skiing arriving Monday afternoon. If you hire the coach you can take as many pairs of skis, boards, blades and of course clothes with you as well as as much booze as you want to consume.
For Devon skiiers this saves the exhausting 4-5 hour drive to Gatwick for a 7.30 am flght and of course car parking fees. Well, smelly feet is a risk as is snoring but at least you are sleeping horizontal. Of course this year we will be taking our parasols and walking boots as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sleeper coaches win on cost, but lose on quality.

Sleeper coaches cater for the low-end of the skitravel market.

Therefore, one should expect overall quality to be average or below-average.

Being stuck on a cramped bus with dozens of Brits for up to 24 hrs is unlikely to be the greatest experience of one's life.

Ultimately, you will have to balance the cost of sleeping with smelly, noisy strangers against the benefit of saving xx quid per person.

As they say, you decide.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is a surprise Whitegold, has a negative view about something rolling eyes .

I've done an overnight coach to the Alps several times and in general it is not that unpleasant. The 3V is only 12 hours from calais and at least you have the option of stretching your legs and walking around (which you can't do if you drive).

I've only done the one with straightforward seats and not done the sleeper option though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done several coaches, but like Ray Zorro only the straightforward seats. There's more to be said for it than cheapness. The coach dumped us right at the door of our chalet, with our bags. No hanging round for transfers, no hanging round in airports, being switched because of fog, etc etc. And two extra days skiing. The journey is no worse than sitting in an aircraft seat for 9 or 10 hours flying to the western USA or Canada, and the lift passes a lot cheaper when you get there. Our fellow passengers on the trips we made (with Snowcoach and Ski Olympic) were Brits, certainly, but neither smelly nor noisy and the driving was steady and reassuring, despite appalling weather on one trip, with ice and fog; we passed a lot of accidents on the autoroute and I was extremely grateful I wasn't driving myself. I shall be on Saturday night, though... No doubt there are some "coaches from hell", maybe those were the ones which Whitegold was on?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember going skiing by coach several times in the late 80s / early 90s. The trick was to try and be first on the coach in London and then get the two front seats on the upper deck so you had lots of room, a nice view out and no reclining seat in front of you. This would secure a reasonably pleasant trip. I think we went all the way from London to Pas de la Casa by coach which was a bit of a long haul, but cheap! As pam w, says it was nice to get dropped off right outside the hotel / apartments with minimal hassle.

I remember once a Crystal coach nearly forgot us in Meribel as we were staying in a seperate apartment block to all their other punters and Mrs Trenmold had to hold the rep hostage for a few minutes as I had gone in search of the coach and was not there when it finally turned up.

On another occasion we got stuck for most of the night at Moutiers bus station when the coach company went bust (Coach 2000 which was a subsidiary of Air 2000) and had to wait for a different bus to come out from the UK. Luckily I had a hip flask of whisky in my luggage which helped to pass the time.

We prefer the train nowadays!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My only experience of an overnight coach (in Peru, admittedly) suggests that it's a desperate last resort.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy