Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
Well I was too optimistic, for the end of the weather system Meteo France are giving the snow/rain limit as around 2500 meters with very poor snow condiitons below 2400. Danger of wet snow slides especially as the zero isotherm moves above 3000m tomorrow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
Well I was too optimistic, for the end of the weather system Meteo France are giving the snow/rain limit as around 2500 meters with very poor snow condiitons below 2400. Danger of wet snow slides especially as the zero isotherm moves above 3000m tomorrow.

Oh My God! Shocked

Think I'll go take my long weekend in Milton Keynes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well if we're looking for reports rather than forecasts, we had very pleasant snow if not weather at Le Tour yesterday. Cloudbase below ski level so crap vis, otherwise all very fine. Don't like the idea of more warmth and rain, but what can we do about it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, get naked and do a snow/low tempd dance Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the Northern Alps it is still possible to find very soggy snow from 1200-1500 meters on shaded forest tracks but due to the non-existant refreeze this was not really skiable. There is some snow on south facing slopes at 1800 meters. The snowpack is isothermic (0C throughout) below 2000 meters with little overnight refreeze at this level. Rocks are not far from the surface below this altitude. The zero degree isotherm touched 3500 meters in the Northern Alps on Wednesday. There was around 15cm of new snow on the 4th above 2200 meters and a further 5-10cm on the 8th above 2500 meters. Skiing is on a refreeze or wind crust in many places, this softens during the day giving almost spring like snow conditions. It looks like the mild and relatively dry weather will continue for at least the next ten days.

In short... go high young man.

The rain has stabilized the snow-pack below 2500 meters with the main risk from wet snow slides as the slopes warm during the day. The Savoie still has some traps. A group set of a slab close to the pistes at Val d’Isère yesterday.

More info (with a 2006/2007 comparison) here: http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0677-scorchio/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, any news of a change in the weather soon ??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Brookes wrote:
davidof, any news of a change in the weather soon ??

I've been following Metcheck. It's forecasts have been remarkably consistent with what actually happens. Basically, for LDA, mostly an awfully high freezing level until Saturday, and then it starts to lower. No snow on the horizon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The outlook is not looking good on any of the models for the next 10days. The most hopeful chart (and it's a long way off) is the EMWCF for 21stJan Shocked Shocked

Here's hoping they're all wrong & a cold blast is just about to arrive snowHead :sH[/img]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The best resort conditions seem to be in the Hautes-Alpes still with Montgenvre posting quite good depths at resort and higher. I've just been checking some of the raw data from Meteo France which shows all of the Pyrenees at all altitudes have below average snow but in the Northern Alps and Hautes-Alpes in the interior ranges (Vanoise, Massif du Mont-Blanc, Beaufortin, Ecrins, Haute-Maurienne, Haute-Tarentaise) the situation is NORMAL at 2400 meters altitude.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Weather remains mild until the 20th (Saturday). A weather system will hit the Prealps and Jura on Wednesday with rain and a few flakes above 1700m. Thursday and Friday will see more sustantial rain to 2000/2200 m with snow higher up accompanied by a violent wind from the west. On Sunday we will finally see snow to 1000m but limited quantities. By Sunday night conditions will only really have improved above 2000m

Finally next week the tendency is for a return to winter with significant snowfall to low altitudes at the western end of the Haute-Savoie and Haute-Maurienne but a lot less in the interior valleys. Watch this space.
- Meteo France Chamonix

Touring conditions were poor today. Frozen snow on south faces although with lots of grip with a layer of ice from freezing rain on north sector slopes. I will post a photo tomorrow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, thanks. From our point of view as long as nothing bad happens above 2000 m it's OK! Selfish, I suppose!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is the ice (verglas) covering e-n-w sector slopes yesterday. It was about 1-2cm thick and probably formed when we had rain to 2500-2700m last week which turned to ice when it hit the snow surface. There have been a few deaths in the mountains due to people losing their footing and this is possibly the cause. 3 Spanish climbers died in Gavarnie. The French Rescue Services have said there has also been a marked increase in injuries on piste due to the difficult conditions. As examples, two people died skiing into snow canons over the last week. As C. will no doubt confirm a British skier and an ESF instructor are both in a serious condition after a piste collision at les 2 alpes, it appears that the Brit was skiing too fast for the conditions. The ESF instructor is unlikely to work again this season.

Under the layer of ice is old powder snow but there also seemed to be a layer of facetted snow just under the verglas.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the forecast is for rain to 2200 to 2500 m tomorrow in our area which isn't wonderful. I think I will stay indoors.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still very warm in the Belledonne (Central French Alps) today, 3.5C at 1800m with a light wind from the south-east. This probably means it is snowing above 2000m now. There will probably be quite a lot of wet snow avalanches during today as the snowpack gets overloaded and watch out for slabs on north sector slopes, particuarly where these crusts form a sliding surface. It seems that the Haute-Tarentaise missed these ice crusts but there is a lot of gobelet up there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

There is a generalized lack of snow below 2500 meters in the French mountain ranges with almost no snow in the Vosges and Massif Central and very little snow on the summits of the Jura. All the ski resorts in these areas are currently closed. Forty mid-mountain ski resorts are also closed in the Alps, notably in the Vercors and Chartreuse. The cross country ski race in the Chartreuse, la Foulée Blanche, has had to be cancelled. While worrying this close to the all important February holiday period, representing two-thirds of turnover for a ski resort, the situation is not unknown with the winters of 89-90, 94-95 and 96-97 experiencing similar snow droughts.

Mid-mountain resorts hit hard by snow drought
latest report
davidof Thanks for these updates ... we are trying to work out whether a sneaky last minute trip starting Sat the 27th is worth it, and these on the ground reports are more useful than optimistic tourist offices website reports or (re-pointed????) webcams.
ski holidays
agavin wrote:
davidof Thanks for these updates ... we are trying to work out whether a sneaky last minute trip starting Sat the 27th is worth it, and these on the ground reports are more useful than optimistic tourist offices website reports or (re-pointed????) webcams.

but note the generally good conditions above 2000m in the high resorts.
latest report
Quote:
the situation is not unknown with the winters of 89-90, 94-95 and 96-97 experiencing similar snow droughts.

Thank you, that one line sums up the current situation IMHO and if read by all, should put an end to the doom-monger's chattering about the end of skiing as we know it!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 19-01-07 11:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
There is a generalized lack of snow below 2500 meters in the French mountain ranges with almost no snow in the Vosges ... All the ski resorts in these areas are currently closed.

I can confirm that - in fact if the clouds lift, I might even get a few pics of "no snow" on the way home tonight. Sad
latest report
davidof, It must be very hard economically for folks dependant on the snow in these areas. Looks much colder next weekend, lets hope it snows for them. It's only our holidays, but for the locals it is their livelihood.
snow conditions
Executive summary: Yesterday was T-shirt weather in the French mountains. 17C at 1600 m with the zero iso around 3400m. Conditions are crusty/icy on north facing slopes, spring snow on east to south-west slopes. Some wet snow avalanche activity and slabs on east facing slopes at altitude but lots of weak layers on north sector slopes... expect avalanche activity to increase from Tuesday with the new snow (50cm?).

Video Snow Report 20 Jan 2007
snow report
davidof, it was indeed incredibably hot yesterday, felt like summer! infact it was warmer than it was in august this year!

how ever today is feeling much cooler and cloudier and there might even be some snow on the cucamel.

Hoping we get to have a decent dump with good coverage as i still haven't been able to ride our trees!
snow conditions
snowangel. wrote:
davidof, it was indeed incredibably hot yesterday, felt like summer! infact it was warmer than it was in august this year!

how ever today is feeling much cooler and cloudier and there might even be some snow on the cucamel.

Hoping we get to have a decent dump with good coverage as i still haven't been able to ride our trees!

Yes I was thinking that it might be snowing a bit above 1600m although it was pretty warm when I went out to get some wood this morning. The weather forecast seem to be hedging a bit on the totals for the week, 30-50cm maybe ?

Still Serre Chevalier has been having a relatively good season.

Just a comment on the Video, you can see that even in south facing and relatively low Chamrousse there is some reasonable piste skiing, okay the cross country skiers were not well served but the resort has done a good job of maintaining some open runs.
ski holidays
davidof, could you pm me or email me at richard@fall-line .co.uk - really like to get in touch re a few bits and pieces...
latest report
An update on the snow - there was about 5cm at 1900 m on Sunday with the weak weather front that moved across the Alps. It will turn colder over the course of today (Monday) with 5-10cm Tuesday and 10-20cm on Wednesday so about 35cm total. To be honest not really enough to do anything except on ski pistes that already have some snow cover. After that a return to bright, sunny weather for the next tend days. The message remains as in the video, go high.
snow report
Well, davidof, that's still pretty good:

1) Everything will be white as it should be
2) The pistes that didn't thaw will be back in good condition
3) The cold temperatures will help keep things that way

It's only disappointing if you fancy going off-piste on the lower slopes.

Do you think I've over-sold the prospects?
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:

Do you think I've over-sold the prospects?

No I think that is a fair interpretation. Resorts that have some water left will be able to make snow to cover some of the gaps. I suspect the Compagnie des Alpes will have a big smile by the end of the season when they do their accounts.
ski holidays
Here is some cheery news

The zero isotherm chez moi

and the amount of rain falling on the roof

(note these are real time graphs so will be different tomorrow).

Anyway that's 10cm of fresh at about 750m.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What is your altitude, and is that actually rain, or snow/10?
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:
What is your altitude, and is that actually rain, or snow/10?

My altitude is 300m, the figure is rainfall at the moment although it is just turning to sleet now with snow around 550 meters at the moment.
latest report
davidof, I hope it snows well for you. I have missed your vertigo inducing adventures in the mountains.
latest report
Thanks davidof.

Good to see.

Are the charts created automatically by sensors on your roof? Will snow still get measured appropriately (even if by liquefaction)?
latest report
crosbie wrote:
Thanks davidof.

Good to see.

Are the charts created automatically by sensors on your roof? Will snow still get measured appropriately (even if by liquefaction)?

No the snow wont' get measured properly - the rain gauge would probably need a heater element. Last winter the roof had snow on it for 2 months, this year the few flakes of snow I just saw (now turned back to rain) are all I've seen at this level.
ski holidays
So, the charts indicate about 10cm of fresh snow above 1,000m ?

I presume you're nearby one or more summits over 1,000m in Chartreuse?

* Chamechaude, 2082 meters
* Dent de Crolles, 2062 meters
* Grand Som, 2033 meters
* la Grande Sure, 1920 meters
* Granier, 1938 meters
* Dent du Chat, 1390 meters

Can you tell if the snow line has descended yet? Or is visibility obscured by huge snow showers? wink
latest report
crosbie wrote:
So, the charts indicate about 10cm of fresh snow above 1,000m ?

I presume you're nearby one or more summits over 1,000m in Chartreuse?

* Chamechaude, 2082 meters
* Dent de Crolles, 2062 meters
* Grand Som, 2033 meters
* la Grande Sure, 1920 meters
* Granier, 1938 meters
* Dent du Chat, 1390 meters

Can you tell if the snow line has descended yet? Or is visibility obscured by huge snow showers? wink

I'm directly under the Dent de Crolles. The weather station is automatic, I wrote the software myself and it could do with some improvements. I've just repointed the webcam so you be able to see the snow on the valley sides when it next updates in 30 minutes time:-

It is down to about 400meters now although rainfall has eased off a bit. There has been 10cm at 1000m and 20cm at les Deux Alpes at glacier level. This won't be enough to open runs between 1000m-1500m but if we get the predicted cold and it snows again on Wednesday expect to see some of those slopes skiable. The good thing is there is virtually no wind, even at 2000m.
ski holidays
It was snowing in Grenoble last night and my neighbour's car had a couple of cms snow on it. Grenoble was a bit of mess as I drove through it on the way to work. Up in the Chartreuse it is white everywhere, even down to the motorway - a much more pleasant sight than recently! I'm just outside St. Laurent du Pont (410m) and it's snowing lightly still.

One of my colleagues who lives in St. Pierre de Chartreuse (a small ski resort at 900m nearby) says there was about 20-25cm overnight. Of course that's not an official measurement.

All this on my doorstep and I'm supposed to be driving to Andorra to meet some friends tomorrow!!!!
ski holidays
30cm on the Scia - the top of the slopes of St Pierre, but that is on zero base so you need rock skis. Andorra is a bad plan unless you want to stock up on bacci and booze.
ski holidays
Just back from a sweet few days in Isola 2000.

Conditions were poor over the weekend. Almost all artificial. Hadn't snowed for a month. Icy on one side of the valley, slushy on the other. The natural snowline on Southerly slopes was at an incredible 2500m. Very mild. Skied in a jumper during the early afternoon.

Things have perked up in the last two days. Temps fell. Modest snow refreshed the pistes. Everywhere looking whiter. Conditions much better.

Would recommend Isola 2000 for a weekend trip. Less than 90 mins from Nice airport. Nice views on the way there. Tiny ski area, though. Most good riders will ski it out in less than 3 days.
snow conditions
No bacci or booze (apart from the stuff I'll drink in the bar for apres); though judging by my colleagues' complaints about tab prices I could make a small fortune.

Most of my skiing has involved some rocks so far this season - and my rock skis got stolen last year!
snow report
Some photos from yesterday. There was about 20cm of snow at 1100m and between 20-40cm of snow at 1800m. The snow had been moved around a little, onto north-east slopes, by some wind but it was very calm and very cold yesterday. There was some surface hoar (a possible weak layer). Fields and forest trails were skiable, this trip to the Croix de l'alpe is probably feasible on nordic skis. The snow was without base except on the summit plateau.

This is the old frontier post between France and the Duchy of the Savoie (annexed by France in 1868). Le Mont Blanc can be seen in the background. You can click on the images for a larger version.

The croix de l'Alpe, a pretty gentle slope, the sun was getting low on the horizon.

And the field just above the car park, just skiable although you probably only have a couple of cm between skis and grass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy