Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Vallees Pistes for Virtual Beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Meribel with a group of varying ability. Have been once before and want to spread our wings this time in all 3 valleys. Least able in group could manage an 'average' blue such as, say, Lapin down to Meribel Village.

Harder blues such as, Aigle to Mottaret or Pic Noir to Altiport would put the wind up one or two.

Any other blues we should avoid based on the above?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chesterblade, Welcome to snowHead
I'm sure that someone... or two... or... will be along who know the 3 Vallees soon snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MAssive area so uge amount of options. These may be useful for exploring into the other two valleys;

From Meribel Courchevel valley, may be better to cross using Col de la Loze route rather than Saulire - quieter and easy skiing on both sides of the mountain. From there, a pretty blue down to LA Tania where the cable car takes you back towards 1850 where you can pretty easily make your way over the various blues above 1650.

From Meribel to VT valley, take La Tounette lift from Meribel and take the blues that wind down to Les Menuires. From here, quite complicated but can wind up the valley (using a few short lifts and pistes) to VT. Coming home from VT would remind that the main route that enters the Meribel Valley below Mt Vallon can get very crowded (and cold in the shade) - either come home early or reverse the above.

An alternative is to take the Roc de Fer cable from Meribel and the blue down to St Martin de Belleville - this is a beautiful little village - some great restaurants.

Good luck

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-12-06 10:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

An alternative is to take the Roc de Fer cable from Meribel and the blue down to St Martin de Belleville - this is a beautiful little village - some great restaurants
I think the run of the top is called Granges. Lovely gentle runs down to St Martin.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I first went skiing when I was 4 and i'm now 25, in all those years of skiing I can honestly say that the 3 vallies are the best place i've been to and anywhere else i go is always compared to it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chesterblade, when we've been in Meribel beginners we've sent them up the gondola to the top of Saulire then they have to walk across the top for 100 yds or so so that they can get the big lift down towards C1850. From this bottom lift station it's nice easy greens all the way to the centre of 1850 or you can link to 1650 on relatively easy blues.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would totally agree with the two posts abpve.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would recommend the green run down to La Tania, although it starts off as blue from Col de Loze.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lot depends on snow conditions. Aigle and Pic Noir will be as easy to ski as Lapin in good snow, and as they face in the opposite direction to Lapin they will be better in the afternoon, Lapin is a better ski in the morning. Make your way across to Courchevel 1650 for a good day out for intermediate skiers. Allow plenty of time to catch the last lift back into Meribel valley and avoid a taxi fare home!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chesterblade, try having a look at the following document "Ski Tips and Tours of the Meribel Valley for Beginners". They are for itineraries from Meribel Mottaret and were taken from Meribel unplugged website who are the original authors

http://www.pleva.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/beginnersskitips.pdf
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oops forgot to say if you want the info but departing from Meribel go to http://www.meribel-unplugged.co.uk/meribel/skiing/guide/beginners.htm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From memory, beginners and early intermediates skiing back into Mottaret and Meribel at the end of the day face a 'hellish' time. The slopes are normally absolutely rammed to the rafters with descending skiers invariably travelling quickly and being funelled into very tight areas at the foot of the villages. Quite often the snow quality is variable, too. Be careful and have your wits about you.

Courchevel 1650 has some readily accessible runs underneath, I think, the Ariondaz. Excellent for building confidence. Even the descents back to 1850 are easy too.

Les Menuires gets too many skiers on its home slopes for this to be really enjoyable but avoid at all costs the tiresome poling involved on the Gros Tougne!

As for Val Thorens, there is quite a bit here to contend with. Pluviometre is truly enjoyable-just the right pitch to practice your skills.

Perhaps the best of all is Jerusalem going down to St Martin. Lots of rolls, plenty of width, excellent visibility and generally uncrowded. You can then reward yourself with a rather nice lunch at a more realistic price than you would pay at, say, the awful Rond Point in Meribel.

The Trois Vallees has its detractors, including me (ski factory, bland, full of Tories from England, ridiculous prices, lack of challenge, etc) but it's a great place for a mixed ability group to enjoy a holiday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a fantastic loop from 1850 to 1650 a part of which is a really nice blue called Indiens. Its all through the trees and is excellent fun while not being too much for a beginner. Also the run down to 1650 from there is good fun. On your way back to 1850, go via the Altiport which is also a really good run.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy