Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Struggling & Helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
Soooo, I am a beginner snowboarder. I have swapped from skiing to boarding as of last season. But after a pretty disastrous week in Sauze with poor snow conditions, and even poorer instructors, I seem to be in a similar place as when I started. It puzzles me, as I had a full day boarding in Canada 8 years ago, and was pretty proficient by the end of the day. But it was only a taster thing, and I didn't do it again until last season, and I guess as I was only 17 back then I probably had more confidence than I do now!

I took a level 3 lesson at the Tamworth snowdome a week ago, but I think as I hadn't been on the snow for such a long time, I was very nervous(I gave up snowboarding after 4 days in Sauze after I took a nasty fall and gave myself concusion Laughing ) so I don't think I progressed enough to move onto level 4. I have booked another level 3 at a different snowdome, and am hoping to be able to move on. The problem is I know all the theory, I just don't have the confidence to put it into practice, and all the knowlege seems to fly out of my head when I stand on that board. I just feel like I will never pick it up. Skiing seemed to come much more easily, well probably because I was only 14? when I learnt it. And my lack of confidence just makes me want to run back to skiing where I feel safer. But I am determined! And damn it my gear is far too cool for skiing wink
Any advice or tips would be welcomed! Help meeeeeeeeee! Laughing

Oh and on to my second point, helmets? Do you recomend? After I gave myself concusion in sauze, I am a little wary...And I am guessing a helmet would help with this. But what would I be looking to pay for a good one? The one I had to use at the snowdome gave me a very sweaty head! Embarassed Are they all like this? And are they just too uncool?
Again any advice will be greatly recieved!

Oooo edited to add...Boots. We are both looking to get new boots. The rentals were awful! I had bought some salomon ones, but I really don't like them. I dont know why I bought them, and they are not particuarly comfortable. So what would make a good entry level boot? When at the snowdome we used Burton one's and they seemed very comfortable! Even for rentals. Don't have a fortune to spend...Well I'm hoping to have them as a christmas pressie! Little Angel Maybe the Burton moto's?

Thanks to all. Sorry about all the questions! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jopo, if you like boarding, stick with it, I also found skiing much easier, but I'm glad I perservered with boarding. Just find a long wide slope & practice those turns, thinking about your technique all the time.

Helmet; yes, defo get one. I've had a couple of falls where I've banged my head & felt lucky to have got away with it.

Boots, go & try every boot in the shop. You will know when you've found the right one. For me it's Northwave, but everyone's different.

Hope the above is some help.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One word on helmets-always.

I am a profficient boarder and believe me the better you get the harder the knocks....find your inner confidence.....it'll rock your world. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jopo, as the other guys say - stick with it.
I also moved from skis to a board and had similar issues to you - it will click all of a sudden and you will make steady progress after that.

Deffo get a helmet - they are not "uncool" at all - I have a Giro 9.9 and am very pleased with it.

Follow ssnowman's advice - go to a shop with a large range of brands and try on all of the boots in the shop.
Give yourself plenty of time so you don't rush your decision.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stick with the boarding. I've had good years and bad years. Sometimes the whole thing comes together, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes I feel that it looks graceful as I board down the piste (no one else would agree with this though!) and sometimes I feel like a sack of potatoes!

I've a Giro nine.9 helmet which is brilliant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jopo wrote:
(I gave up snowboarding after 4 days in Sauze after I took a nasty fall and gave myself concusion Laughing )

Another Giro 9.9 user here. Very Happy

I had a particularly bad fall on a flat (pre helmet) when I was just starting out. Not bad enough to concuss myself. But bad enough to have a couple of people stop to check I was OK and a couple of minutes recovery time. Took me a while to be properly confident on flats again.

I'm not sure how much value going to a snowdome is once you are good enough to get down the mountain proficiently. I found it was far more valuable doing 2 trips (or more if possible) a year. Improved much faster that way.

Don't forget how hard snowboarding is compared to skiing. There is a reason boarders sit down more. I went with somebody one year who only boarded 1/2 days rather than full days. By the end of the week he was as competent as any other 1 week boarder.

If you can afford it, do a couple of trips this season. A long weekend or a week just to find your legs again, then another one after you've given yourself sufficient time to recover. For your first trip though, don't be pushing yourself to be on the slopes every hour of the day. If you feel tired stop and start the apres early.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i dont wear a helmet, or any padding.. ive had some great crashes as well.. the advantage of boarding is that your knees are fairly safe.. the danger zones are your wrists, your back bottom and in my opinion the back of your head.. i dont think any protective gear you can buy can do much more than your body already can in saving your back bottom or your wrists.. the back of your head will be helped a bit by a lid but if you smack it hard you will still get a headache and a sore neck.. maybe less of a bump .. to be effective the equipment will need to be much larger and thicker than it is now, and of course that will make it heavier.. by all means wear the clobber but put a 5 to 10 per cent protection rating on it.. i'd sooner spend the dough on lessons..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info all. I will probably look into getting myself a helmet.
I think the key to my unlocking my true snowboarding self Laughing is to get that confidence! Maybe hypnotherapy would work! Laughing Or maybe not....
Hopefully after a couple more lessons at the dome I will be a bit more confident...But I still dispute the value of group tuition, although as my budget stands and the cost of private instruction at the dome Shocked I will have to stick with the group.
We are hoping to book a two week holiday to Banff, so everything permitting I should improve given two weeks! I am looking forward to it immensley...Wish we could get away more than once, maybe will be able to do a weekend, but again budget and time off work will pose a problem.
Thanks again! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My boyfriend had a weeks worth of group lessons whilst we were in Bulgaria a last year.
This year he then decided he didn't need anymore lessons.

What we did do though as a compromise was book a two hour private lesson just for the two of us when we were away at the beginning of this year.

The amount learnt on what was effectively one on one for him was worth the money.

We wouldn't have paid for a weeks worth of private lesson, but I reckon probably two sessions during a weeks holiday is the way to go..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jopo,
Quote:

I think the key to my unlocking my true snowboarding self is to get that confidence! Maybe hypnotherapy would work! Or maybe not....

Buy youself a cattle prodder and get someone to stick you with it at the top of a run...you'll be at the bottom in no time at all wink wink

seriously..tried hypnotherapy once for confidence and broke my arm Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with SnowboardVicky - It might be worth spending your money on a couple of private lessons in Banff rather than on the Snowdome. I think it's quite hard to practice there, as it's such a short run. You're just getting going when you have to stop!

Also, with the Canadian Dollar so weak, you'd find your money goes a lot further. Maybe a day or so to get going, then book a half day lesson, practise what you've learned for a few days, then have another lesson with the same instructor. Rinse and repeat! Also, tell your friends what the instructor said, get them to look out for you.

I would definitely get a helmet - I always ride with one. Apart from the falls, I had an out-of-control beginner collide into me and his board would have scalped me without the lid.

I find pads - impact shorts, knee pads etc can help a great deal with confidence. They really take the sting out of falls, and it's not like anyone can see them! wink ,

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be fine when you're there!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and I used to have some Burton Motos, I think they're a good boot, very comfy. They don't last that long, but the price is good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lid - definitely get one. my usual group all went shopping for them after one of the lads tooka spill when we were in fernie a couple of seasons ago. there were defintely more people wearing them over there then id seen in europe in previous season. but last seaon in france and austrai i noticed a lot more people wearing them. plus the designs are pretty good these days, not the featureless bone domes of old! i persuaded one of my mates to get one last season, he ummed and ahhed but eventually gave in and got himself a cool dianese one. two days later he tooka a bad spill. he hit his head so hard on a patch of ice that he thought hed cracked the lid! i lost count of the number of times he thanked me for talking him in to it.

as one of my mates says, hed never consider getting on his mountain bike with out one, so why would he consider not wearing one on a board when hes doing similar speeds with hard surfaces (ice, rocks, trees, other hill users) around.

same advice as with your new boots - go to the shops and try them all on, get the ones that feel the most comfortable and fit the best.

when i first got my lid i did find it gave me that little bit of extra confidence and now bording with out it feels like driving a car with out a seat belt on - very wrong!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
he hit his head so hard on a patch of ice that he thought hed cracked the lid! i lost count of the number of times he thanked me for talking him in to it.

I hope he replaced it after hitting it that hard? It's worth remembering that a helmet that has taken an impact can be more dangerous than wearing no lid at all.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely go for the lid. As a boarder that has had a very lucky near miss with a tree, I started wearing one last season and wont be without one now.

As to the boarding, stick with it. When everything clicks into place, and it will, it makes all the effort worthwhile. A tip that helped me whilst struggling to learn was, instead of thinking too much about what you are doing (which usually puts you off anyway) try humming a tune to yourself. Before too long you find you are putting in turns in time to the tune you are humming! You may get a few strange looks though when you realize you are humming out loud instead of in your head, but then if it works who cares?
ski holidays
As with the others, I always wear a helmet and think it's necessary - pos 'cos I have a habit of hitting my head Smile Try a few and spend a little more to get one that fits well, has removable padding and won't get too sweaty. There are more people wearing them every year and it's much less cool to knock yourself out and get lifted off than to wear a helmet.

And as for boots just try on as many brands as you can till you find some that work. You can generally test them out at places like the snowdome. I love salomon, but it's all down to the shape/size of your feet - very individual choice.

Stick with it - you will love it!
snow conditions
25 season skier switched to boarding 2 years ago and now have the best of both worlds.

Getting my first lid this season and after having concussion with a bad skiing fall before lids were about and think it will be the norm in a few years. Even the snowzone ones save you indoors as i found out last week.

As for lessons I took half day lessons in resort last year. Good value and I came on in leaps and bounds with just 3 in the group. Well worth it IMHO. Also as someone else said if you feel tired stop as that is when most injuries will occur
latest report
25 season skier switched to boarding 2 years ago and now have the best of both worlds.

Getting my first lid this season and after having concussion with a bad skiing fall before lids were about and think it will be the norm in a few years. Even the snowzone ones save you indoors as i found out last week.

As for lessons I took half day lessons in resort last year. Good value and I came on in leaps and bounds with just 3 in the group. Well worth it IMHO. Also as someone else said if you feel tired stop as that is when most injuries will occur
snow report
With regard to helmets - just get one... you won't regret it - especially if somebody ski's into you at high speed.... Remember, a lot of accidents are caused by other people! Good to be protected. Also, if off-piste, who knows what you are gonna hit if your head goes into the snow..?
snow conditions
After lots of bangs on the head whilst learning to board last season I decided that in order not to damage the piste any further I should get a helmet. Now I just break ribs and collar bones !
snow conditions
My other half has just told me she's brought me headphones to fit in my helmet for Chrimbo ... I wouldnt be without it .. the helmet that is and of course my other half who my not like being referred as 'it'

I also recommend padded pants ( no more bruised bum and warm when you sit on the snow) and knee pads , Dainese are the bees knees(excuse the pun)

With all the above you will be able to fall without worrying.
snow report
Jopo,

If you're going to Banff, have a look in the 'resorts' section for loads of info.

The tuition in Banff is excellent (well, the ski tuition certainly is, and I've no reason to think the boarding tuition is any less). It's not cheap, but my skiing buddy reckoned it was worth more to have one hour of 1x1, than one week of 'group'. A good tutor will identify, and fix, things you're not aware of (for example, she could spot that my ski buddy was scrunching her toes whilst skiing... and thats when she's wearing boots....).

Also, theres enough snow in Banff for you not to worry about falling over too much (within reason!)..... but you'll have a helmet by then!

Boots - go find a decent shop, and ask to speak to the boot-fitter. If they don't have a boot-fitter, go somewhere else (there are some good shops in Banff, btw). Get them to measure your foot standing up, and sitting down, and figure out whether you've got 'wide' or 'narrow' feet, and high or low arches. (a good bootfitter will figure this out).... and then he'll recommend a brand, based on that brand's 'last' (the general boot shape). E.g. Burton boots tend to be quite wide, and Salomon's quite narrow.

Ellis Brigham / TSA are good... there'll be others.

As for confidence.... I like the 'just hum' idea..... start out on the gentle slopes and just enjoy being in the mountains - the technique will come.

good luck,

h.
latest report
an add on from a parent who's 16 year old daughter is moving to Boarding from being a proficient skier. What lessons? Paticularly is you have had experience in La Thuile Italy where we are going this year. Many thanks in anticipation
latest report
firebug, what knee pads do you use?
snow conditions
jopo, notice you are from lancashire,
i will get shot for saying this but
have you thought of a few lessons up at rossendale ?? after a few catch up lessons you would be suprised how easier it will be on snow

ps helmet is a must always !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy