Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how much is it worth....

Poster: A snowHead
leading on from a post i put in the british ski schools thread..... how much would you expect to pay a bootfitter for work done on a pair of boots not purchased from them

the prices i would like to hear opinions on are

1) A 30 minute consultation to evaluate boots / work
2) to stretch a single area of a boot shell
3) extensive modification work if charged by the hour or 1/2 hour

comments please
thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have no idea what I would expect but I'd be prepared to pay about £50 for 1 + 2 if the results were good, half that if there was no real improvement.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't presume to question the cost. I'd go to a recommended bootfitter wink and pay what the charge is.

I went to profeet last year and paid about £95 I think, for a footbed and a wee bit of work just to reduce the volume a bit in the calf area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1) quote = free
2) and 3) whatever your hourly rate is
Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£60 per hour, with the understanding that the answer to #2 and #3 depends on
whether I expect free replacement of the shell if something goes awry, if so then charge goes up, £80 per hour not unreasonable
additional parts used/ modified - full charge
price structure for minor corrections (my expectation is that they are free, I'll pay up front as above thanks).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 20-12-06 22:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
II, that was part of the question....what would you expect the hourly rare to be?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, I think you need to consider 2 separate pricing models
Model 1 ( someone like you who makes his money solely out of his professional fees)
(1) 30mins labour - say £30
(2) again say 30mins analysis and labour - £30
(3) £60/hr

Model 2 (a shop which makes profit on the boots)
(1) free - part of profit from selling boots (if boots were sold by same shop)
(2) if aftersales service from sold boots then free. Otherwise, a relevant cost relating to cost of provision (I've no idea what bootfitting staff/overheads in a ski shop are).
(3) whatever costs and profit make the hourly rate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM,
Don't know as a part time job/hobby I fix computers and charge £35 per hour / no fix no fee.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You lot are quick - there was no response when I first saw the thread and when I refreshed I was beaten to it by 5 posts
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
II, shame you are so far away, i have an old laptop that won't start Smile colin_g,

model 1 is pretty much how i work, if i am involved with the sale of a boot then model 2 comes into play... i must put my prices up though Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM,

how long does it take to stretch one area of a boot?
I'm just thinking that at SZK's place when I bought my boots I had the following help

1. shell selection
2. heat moulding
3. custom footbed shaping
4. three stretches (on three different days)

I assume the retail margin on boots/footbeds is high (50%) but I'd imagine at £60 /hour it would be eaten pretty quickly by the fitting time. I.e., I think the rate for fitting probably should be less than £60/hr

J
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1 Free if you get the job! (If not £30.00)
2 Time involved? (charged at £1.00 per minute to a max of ?)
3 £1.00 per min Labour plus parts and consuambles.

Re-working - Tweeking of previous fit. First visit free thereafter £10.00 and rising depending on customers attitude wink High posting snowHeads free Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure why so many people think that you should do a 30 minute evaluation for free Confused

You have to pay a charge to get any faulty electrical good looked at prior to being repaired.

If anyone asks me to come to look at a problem I make it clear that I expect to be paid, whether or not any further assistance is required. If they expect a free initial visit, I generally won't do it (unless there is a good reason that I should). I have found that those that quibble about fees at the early stage are not good clients generally

I would certainly charge for the initial assessment if I were you. £25 - £30 seems reasonable.

What rate for the rest? Well I guess that depends on market forces. What do your competitors do? What service do they provide, what fees do they charge compared to you? How are their overheads compared to yours? (you don't have to answer these questions btw, they are just questions you should ask yourself). If you are really busy and people don't flinch at your current charges, you could put them up. If you find that people are going elsewhere, then you possibly have them about right.

A schedule of charges makes it clear from the start what people should do and you should always be up front about fees.

From a personal point of view, I would probably expect the boot fitting to be included within the price of the boot with the cost for that being as part of an agreement between the boot fitter and the boot supplier. I would expect any minor modifications to be carried out free but if I took my boots to another fitter would expect to pay the market rate for their time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It always surprises me how many boot fitters seem to give their expertise away for free, many sorting out other people's boots, even if they're not their customers.

CEM, I would suggest looking at how much local sport physiotherapists charge?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can see some value (to CEM) in offering a short (less than 30 min) free consultation, to drum up business, to say either 'I can fix that boot for you.' or 'Buy a new pair.'.

Everything else is presumably at an hourly rate (plus parts); I've no idea what a fair rate is for a bootfitter. Presumably few support staff, certain amount of kit but presumably nothing outrageously expensive, premises, obviously. £60/hour at least, I'd have thought, maybe up to £100/hour. I imagine you'd want to offer some common services at a fixed price, based on the average time for it.
latest report
It seems like it depends on the customer to me - personally, I'm boot-paranoid, have new boots that I'm pretty sure need work doing and just want to ski in comfort - I'd pay through the nose to have my boots fit perfectly. Random punter who's not gone through the fitting process and is quite content with his 3 sizes too big battleships.. probably won't find the same price as me reasonable (especially if he gets told to buy new boots too!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy