Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cameras, what sort is recomended?

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about getting a camera to take with me on the slopes. I can't decide whether to get a digital camera ( still ) or a video type. Always had 35mm SLRs in the past and would like to upgrade that to a digital SLR such as the EOS400. But then I keep thinking a video type would be good. I don't really know where to start so any suggestions as to what will stand up to the temperatures and being thrown in to the backpack, and whether as some one who has never had a video camera before may be better off with a normal still type. My head is hurting to much to get a clear decision so all help greatfully recieved.

Thanks

JP
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
justapurrin, most digital stills will do a little movie stuff too. The converse is also true I believe. Haven't taken mine out on the slope yet, but good luck...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My most important criteria was rechargeable batteries. The cold saps the power +++ so I bought one that takes conventional AA batteries that are much cheaper and more easily recharged or substitued on the trip than the expensive dedicated batteries some of the more dinky cameras use. Kep the spares inside your jacket (ideally the camera too. Most cams do video these days. I haven't researched SLRs so can't help there - sorry
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even with a compact digital still camera (Pentax A10), the video quality is not too bad for short clips to share

Hopefully this link will work...

http://youtube.com/v/hYlNaqxIv3c
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justapurrin, I've got a Nikon D50, and am very pleased with it. If I were to be buying now I'd look at the D80 or the D40. I tried the Canon 350D and the Pentax *ist range when I was researching back in January, but they're both too small and light. The heavier the camera (within reason) the easier it is to handle.

I had no trouble with my D50 in Canada last season, but my video camera did switch to "debug" mode because of the cold. At the time I just packed the cameras in their own LowePro cases rather than a dedicated camera pack.

TallTone, DSLRs don't do movies, and the stills quality from digital video cameras is poor, extra average at best.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
justapurrin
there's a big conceptual difference between an SLR and a video camera. For starters, all digital SLR's do NOT show a live image on the display screen... unlike all the small 'point & shoot' cameras'. (although I think some of the smaller SLR firms are now starting to do this)

If you're used to using an SLR, then why would you not want a digital one? I made the jump from film a few years back, and the benefits are huge.
However, I'd be unlikely to take my 20D out on the slopes.... for that I have a Canon S1, which I like because:
- it does movie clips, upto VGA resolution, upto about 20mins per clip (on a 1Gig card0
- it will do 'full manual', Aperture and shutter priority, so I can get creative if I need to
- it has a decent optical zoom (10x), so i can actually shoot people on the slopes at a recognisable size
- it takes AA batteries which are easy to charge/ replace/have spares for
- it uses the same memory card, and control layout, as my SLR, which makes it easy to use
- I have a waterproof case for it, which I use if conditions are really bad (or I'm diving.....)
- the lense is extenable with a converter, which I use for watersports filming
- there is image stabilisation built in.

i realise not all these will apply to you.... but everyone has their own requirements!

I'd suggest looking at any of the small Canon/nikon point and shoot cameras - consider going for 10x optical zoom, and ignore any talk of 'total' or 'digital' zoom, as this is really marketing fluff. I'd be a little more cautious with the 'non camera' manufacturers (fuji, hp etc), as they don't have a 'camera' brand image to maintain, and spares/support etc may not be as good - but, your reqts may differ.

(oh, the S1 is now the S3 - it's bit on the bulky side.....)

pm me if you want any more tips.
happy snapping,
h.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
justapurrin, I think you need first to decide if you want a still that does short vid clips or a camcorder that does relatively low res stills. Diffic to point you in any direction otherwise. Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hamilton, the Olympus E dSLR series show live images on the view finders. It seems pointless to me, though. May as well get a better compact and save the luggage allowance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
justapurrin,

I use a trusted (but much abused) Canon EOS 10D for my work as a journo on a fishing mag and it's never let me down so far, even in freezing conditions.

My only thing about them, as someone's pointed out, is that the baterries can suffer with the cold so my remedy is to keep the batteries in my pockets under my thermal bib 'n' brace and overtrousers. They aren't cheap either, about £55.

The Canon cameras are good (although I've heard good reports about Nikons and the new Sony Alpha SLR) and are pretty much the same as the EOS 35mm cameras I used to use (from the original 650 through to a EOS 1). We never have problems with image quality and we're blowing pics up to A3 and above for print production.

The only thing we found out was that if you opt for cheaper lenses and go for Sigmas (which are pretty good) get ones that are digital-friendly. We bought loads of the 17 - 35mm lenses only to find out that when we upgraded from D60s to 10Ds there was a conflict with the camera chip and the lenses shut the camera down all the time. The Canon lenses seem fine though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
justapurrin, after a brief read it looks like there is some good advice above. Do you have any lenses from your old SLRs? That might help you decide with Canon or Nikon.

I have a 300D and wish that I could upgrade but it'll be another year or so before I can. It's amazing. Pretty robust too, the camera has seen some awesome falls, including back slapping a 50' cliff while it was in my backpack. I carry 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 550EX flash, spare batts, filters etc in a mid size Lowe Pro which just squeezes into the top of my regular back pack.

Check this site out for great reviews, tips and help...

http://www.dpreview.com
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a EOS 300D which I'm just replacing with a 400D because the 300D has stopped working. The 300D has been a great camera up to the point that it failed. Jessops wanted at least £200 plus VAT to repair it with no guarantee that it would not cost more so I have bitten the bullet. You can get a new 400D body (better spec) for £450 or £500 with an 18-55 lens. I believe that I've been unlucky and that these sort of catastrophic motherboard failures are unusual but not unknown. With the 400D I'm buying an extended warranty (£55 for an extra two years)...

That said, I wouldn't carry the SLR skiing unless I was specifically going to be spending time taking photos (checking out locations, choreographing action etc) - it's too bulky and doesn't have a video function. I carry a 5MP Sony ultra compact on a cord round my neck. It means I'm unlikely to break it, and its always there when I want it (no fishing it out of a backpack and missing the shot). Takes very good photos too.

J
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, In re-reading what I had written, I agree that I couldn't have been more vague. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice one and all. In reading everyones views and opinions and trying to re-think what I need, I think it is probably best to have a compact digital for everyday use but get an SLR for the good stuff. I used to have an EOS so will probably follow parlor's view and stick to the Canon as I have a couple of lenses.

I think my main wish is to get some good qaulity pictures of where I am skiing and some action (skiing action) shots. like it was said the compacts would give short movie clips so no need to get a specific video type.

Thanks again, always get good advice here.

JP
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Check that you can operate the camera with your gloves on.

Views on LCD viewfinders all but disappear out on the slopes and looking through goggles/shades. Unfortunately not many camera have optical viewfinders and those that do would probably require you to remove goggles to look through them.

Consider a water resistant (splashes, rain etc) camera. AFAIK only Pentax and Olympus do waterproof (1m or more depth) cameras. Diving cameras would be a bit too bulky although they do have the advatage of larger controls and are usually brightly coloured which would make them easier to find if they're dropped in snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
justapurrin, So having opted for the practicality of a compact my priorities were quick shutter release speed, optical viewfinder, long battery life, good video resolution and operable with gloves on. I chose a Sony W5 but they're no longer available. There are websites dedicated to comparing all of these data but I can't remember which the pick of them was now > 12 months on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've read a lot about needing an optical veiwfinder, but found my Pentax to be up to the task of photos on snow without it. The one thing it lacks is quick shutter speed.
Earlier this month I was playing with a friend's Olympus mju 600 (which is weatherproof, so if you get wet a lot, it might be a good choice). The recording speed was excellent (it has 19MB built in, which may explain that)
ski holidays
I just bought a D80 but no way would I take an SLR onto the slopes unless my main purose was to take photographs. I use a little compact digital sony with a video facility for sports use- it really does take some pretty good pics and is very small and easy to use.
snow report
I'll do the other way round... Sony mini DV cam which can take ok stills. I'd rather have the video facility anyway....
I haven't taken an SLR for ages...might as well sell it
snow report
For a camera for the slopes I'd sugest a compact digital, ideally something like the Cannon S80 with a wider than normal end to the zoom (helpful when taking panoramic shots of the mountains) get something small enough to go into an inside pocket, that way you will keep the camera warm and stop battery drain, the other reason for using a compact camera is that it reduces risk of injury when you fall, a compact camera in a chest pocket is fairly low risk, an SLR with several lenses is quite high risk.

I've never had a problem with battery drain on still cameras down to approaching -20C but I once had a DV camera battery drain in under 5 minutes in similar temps, also video tape can have problems in really cold (sub -10C) temps.

For really great winter scene pictures it's hard to beat an SLR and I've skied carrying two Nikon Manual focus bodies with motor drives and several fast lenses in order to get some fabulous pictures but unless you are a fairly good skier I'd advise against it as that sort of extra weight can really mess with your balance in addition to increasing the chances of injury to yourself or your wallet if you fall, these days I tend to ski with the compact digital always in a pocket ready to use whenever I see a good picture, it's also a lot lighter to carry onto an aircraft wink

If you really want video give serious thought to getting a video camera that will allow you to plug in a "Lipstick" camera which you can then mount on a headband whilst keeping the camera and that vunerable battery inside your clothing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy