Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno vs Cervinia

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

After a brief visit to the travel agents this lunchtime I've been offered the choice of either Livigno or Cervinia as a cheapie skiing holiday in Italy during early February.

I've been to Livigno before and, apart from the long transfer, really enjoyed the mix of intermediate skiing, reasonable prices and decent choice of restaurants. From the blurb in the brochures, Cervinia seems to be along the same lines but I don't actually know anyone that's been there.

Can anyone who's been to both resorts give me a comparison? Alternatively, can anyone else can suggest an Italian destination that meets the above criteria?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to Cervinia but not Livingno. Short transfer (well, 2 hrs) from Turin and the intermediates in our group enjoyed it thoroughly, skiing across to Zermatt on a couple of days. I'd never been before so it was good for beginners, too Smile It was certainly cheap for us last year but from what I've seen in the brochures prices look to be up a bit this year. Booze and food was reasonably cheap, too.

Hope that helps

Jon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clive, I haven't been to Livigno but can agree with jonm about Cervinia. Pila's worth a look too (and shorter transfer time) though it's a lower resort so not as reliable snow-wise.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clive, I've only been to Courmayeur in Italy, which would probably suit your requirements. I like it anyway. I'm going to Zermatt at the New Year, so will certainly pop over to take a look at Cervinia. It looks pretty damn good on the webcams at the moment, considering the general alpine doom and gloom.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clive,
La Thuile has very good skiing I cannot vouch for it's restaurants as I was staying in a hotel. Personally I think the skiing at La Thuile is a lot more varied and interesting than Cervinias which many skiers will find a little bland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Livigno offers better skiing than Cervinia. But add in Zermatt, and Cervinia gets the nod. The vacation had best be cheap, as both Livigno and Cervinia are a bit c**p.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skanky wrote:
Clive, I haven't been to Livigno but can agree with jonm about Cervinia. Pila's worth a look too (and shorter transfer time) though it's a lower resort so not as reliable snow-wise.

Good there at the moment though
http://www.pila.it/materiali/immagini/webcams/grimod_b.jpg

You can also get the gondola down to the city of Aosta for an afternoon aswell with is well worth the trip
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don''t get some people's downer on Cervinia, I think its great with good cover. I have had some great off-piste days there. The pistes appear to be cruisers but we didn't really bother with them. Never got round to Livigno but I'd go back to Cervinia, no probs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT,
I have to say I haven't skied the off piste in Cervinia so my remarks apply to the piste, but from memory a lot of the area is south facing so I would guess that there are times when the off piste is not particulary inviting unless you are with a guide who can find you the best snow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I don''t get some people's downer on Cervinia

Same here, but each to their own. It's reputation probably helped keep the crowds down when we were there - at half term, and it only really got busy on Sunday.

no_snow_in_swindon, it might even work out cheaper staying in Aosta and doing the run up each morning. Might be a hassle though.

laundryman, Courmayeur tends to be thought of as expensive for an Italian resort - I've not done the comparisons though. It may just be because it's the playground of the Milanese.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clive, I've only been to La Thuile in Italy so far, but would endorse T-bars recommendation for it. There is a good range of skiing from challenging blacks to cruisy blues/reds and because of the link with La Rosiere there is a reasonable mileage too. When I was there I was surprised to find that the weather was very different on each side of the mountain.

In terms of restaurants, we found La Rascard on the first night and didn't think anywhere else could match it for quality and price so returned every night. Certainly one of the best Alpine restaurants I've ever been to.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for such a fast response everybody:

Ray Zorro + T-bar
- I went to La Thuile a couple of years back and had a bad experience. Most of the week we were there 80% of the mountain was closed as was the link to La Ros. It was so frustrating, masses of snow but we couldn't ski most of it due to high winds closing nearly every lift! We had a couple of evenings in La Rascard and also a place called La Fordze. Great food at both.

Skanky - Curiously enough my niece went to Pila on a school trip last year but I'd not considered it. I'll give her a call later to get her opinion.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clive, Ive been to Livigno, about five years ago, compared to Cervinia the transfer is longer- 4 hours or so i think, somebody correct me if im wrong, good resort enjoyed it, had good conditions, although, the ski area is not fully linked and requires a bus to ski the other side of the valley which is a bit of a pain. I think Livigno is tax free though????????? wink so fairly cheap Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main problem with Cervinia is that it is often windy which closes the lifts and the access to Zermatt. Otherwise it's a great resort with good intermediate cruising. The architecture is not good but the food is!
Never tried Livigno because of the thought of the long transfer time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about Sauze D'ouz? It's reputation as a 'party town' is out-dated now, I seem to recall some reasonable restaurants, and some excellent skiing.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
I don''t get some people's downer on Cervinia, I think its great with good cover.

It's a bland town. The skiing is bland. The lifts are rusting.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
JT wrote:
I don''t get some people's downer on Cervinia, I think its great with good cover.

So your vote is for Livigno then?
snow conditions
I've been to both. Personally I think Cervinia is far superior to Livigno.

Cervinia is a larger more varied area.

Livigno is spread over 2 separate areas & a lot of the claimed 100 km of piste is made up of numerous beginner runs behind the shops.
snow conditions
Clive, Depends what sort of skiing you are looking for. I have been to both - Livigno many times and mostly more on the p1ss than on the piste, Hockey Club ski trips!! Cervinia has a much larger ski area and is linked to Zermatt so you wont or should not get bored there, if you are looking for some tougher skiing then Livigno may dissappoint, but if you luck in and get a good dump then hey ho who cares either would be excellent.

If I was making the choice it would be Cervinia.
snow report
I've been to both. And given the choice I'd go to Cervinia, for a start it's a much bigger area and more convenient (including Zermatt) and higher to boot. The lifts are also better, most runs are fine for intermediates and you don't have the pain of getting across from one area to another. Probably not as lively as Livigno. Go for Cervinia.

Oh and of course you get to take your photo with the Matterhorn in the background.
snow report
Well I've been to Cervinia as a beginner and i'm going back next week as an intermediate. I think it's great if you want nice easy skiing on wide well maintained motorway pistes. Can't recommend the hotel we stayed in last time (des guides) it was small, dingy and the staff (except one) were grumpy and made up the drink prices as they went along. This time we're going to stay in the astoria. And agree the food in some of the resturants there is really top notch wink
ski holidays
I have been to Cervinia and Livigno twice. Out of the both of them i prefer Cervinia as it has a much bigger ski area plus you also have the swiss side too. Only downside is when the weather is bad as there are no trees and if its windy, alot of the lifts close.
I had one trip there with the best conditions i have ever experienced with deep powder, another time the worst with wind blown snow and hard packed pistes! One day there was just one lift open as the wind was so bad! Evil or Very Mad At the end of the day its pot luck with the weather and snow conditions. Cool
latest report
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
Well I've been to Cervinia as a beginner and i'm going back next week as an intermediate. I think it's great if you want nice easy skiing on wide well maintained motorway pistes. Can't recommend the hotel we stayed in last time (des guides) it was small, dingy and the staff (except one) were grumpy and made up the drink prices as they went along. This time we're going to stay in the astoria. And agree the food in some of the resturants there is really top notch wink

The Astoria is a very good hotel and next to the main lift. If i was going back to Cervinia i would go back and stay there.
snow report
Depends what you want! Nightlife Livigno would win, but if skiing's your bag Cervinia would have it over Livigno. Dont worry about the transfer to Livigno, it is long but when you are there for the week you can live with it.

I agree with ssnowman, Cervinia certainly has the edge for me.
snow conditions
We stayed at the Europa in Cervinia - also very convenient for the lifts.
snow report
I too have been to both and my choice as a skier would be Cervinia every time - lovely wide pistes, link to Zermatt and the chance to experience virtually every type of snow from Powder to slush on one long run from Plateau Rosa to Valtournenche! Some lifts have been replaced this year too - I will let you know how that changes things when I get back in 2 weeks.

As for nightlife, Livigno is great if you want to drink until you fall over like almost everyone else. Cervinia is quieter, but my experience of the main bars was tha they were great fun - just don't go out until 10.00!

The killer punch for me is the ability to stagger off the piste after a long day into a choice of bars with a genuine 2 for one happy hour - makes for a good start to the evening. Laughing
snow report
Whitegold, don't talk c**p. Have you actually been to either ??
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

What utter rubbish. Just got back from Cervinia and for what we used I thought that the lift system was excellent with mainly modern detachable chairs with covers and gondolas.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, up to a point, but since last year they've closed two (possibly rusting) lifts, Pancheron and Rocce Nere, and not replaced them. Plus all the Pancheron side drag lifts. If they keep this up there will indeed be only modern chairs and gondolas -- and precious few of them. I'd be very surprised to see Cielo Alto still there in 2007-8, and they closed Lago Blu a few years ago as well.
ski holidays
Quote:
up to a point, but since last year they've closed two (possibly rusting) lifts, Pancheron and Rocce Nere, and not replaced them.

Well that scuppers the advice I've been giving for the last two years. I enjoyed that side of the resort.
It might be to do with the law that all lifts need to be completely replaced/retired after 20 years (I think it's 20).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy