Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone stayed in Swiss Village in banff? from the brochure it looks as if it's next door or attached to Inns of Banff . Does anyone have any views on the ski bus service? Does it take ages to get to the slopes? Likewise what is the evening shuttle into town like?
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't comment on the Swiss Village but the bus service to the slopes is fantastic.

I was sceptical before visiting as transfer times to slpoes seemed long but once you get used to it they're fine.

Buses are timetabled from pick up points near all the hotels. I think they start around 7.30 and run until about 10.30 going out. Journey time is approx 45mins to L Louise and 25 mins to Sunshine I think (it was 4 yrs ago). Loading of buses is supervised by rangers and when a bus is full they call up another one. You will not be left standing around for ages waitng for a bus.

They are proper coaches and you will get a seat - no standing.

Return buses start early afternoon and it's the same procedure in reverse. the latest buses allow you to have a few apres beers at the foot of the slopes. They count how many skiers leave Banff in the morning, so buses going back are tailored to meet requiremnts eg if very few people return early there will be plenty of late buses to get you back. On one occaion we were on a late bus and all other skiers were returning to other end of town. We were told to get off there with them and there was a minibus waiting to return us to our hotel!

All skis/ boards are carried in the hold, so coach travel is comfortable.

Obviously these trnasfers are different to what we are used to at most resorts but once you accept that you aren't going to have a few beers in your ski stuff and walk back to your hotel it's fine. As I said earlier you can get away form the slopes in good time and have a drink back at the hotel or grab a beer at the base station and sleep it off on the bus!!!!

I must say after scrummaging etc to get on various ski buses around France/ italy/ Austria the level of organisation is quite amazing.

Hope this helps...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helena, I've stayed in the Inns of Banff several times and for one night in the Swiss Village (on the way from Jasper to Calgary). Note that there is nothing even remotely Swiss or villagey about it; neither a hint of a load of smug gits profiting massively from wrong doing around the world nor a pond.

The Inns of Banff is (are?) a perfectly satisfactory hotel on the edge of Banff, on one of the main drags up to Highway 1. It's about 15mins walk from downtown Banff; there is a little 'happy bus' thing which wanders about from hotel to hotel in the evening and cabs are plentiful and cheap if you don't fancy the walk back. There's a ski hire shop in the hotel, which is handy.

The hotel has a very modest swimming pool and a large outdoor hot tub with a good view. The hotel is built on the side of a hill, and consists of a number of blocks at different levels connected by underground and overground walkways; it's very easy to get lost, but the natives are friendly. There are two restaurants (one Japanese) and a bar which does food, The Bear's Den (why it's named after one of Glasgow's dullest suburbs I have no idea). They also offer (or used to) a brekkie buffet as well; we usually went up the mountain for brek. (My info is a bit out of date, BTW, haven't stayed there for a few years)

The Swiss Village is separate from the rest of the Inns of Banff, but only by a few yards. The rooms are significantly smaller than in the main hotel, verging on the cramped, but OK if you're used to European hotel rooms.

The bus service is OK. It tours the hotels; I can't remember if the IoB is at the beginning or the end (it won't be in the middle). We always had a car in Banff and I'd recommend it; you are free of rushing to catch a particular bus (a major consideration if you have kids) and you can potter about a bit if you fancy it, to Lake Louise and Kicking Horse (to which there are occasional buses) and other places. Parking at Sunshine and LL is straightforward. A car is not essential, though.

Banff is one of my favourite places, although not everyone's cup of tea (a decent example of which is hard to find there, ironically).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-12-06 12:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Tyke, Hi
That helps enormously!! I can get rid of the good old european vision of sardine packed mini bus with ski's/poles/ elbows stuck in your face now!

When you were there did you find you could have done with hiring a car?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helena, we hired a car, which was nice as we could go and see other things too,but if you just plan to ski, the bus service is regular enough. Ourswas in with the package, and we could have easily done without it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helena, you can (of course) hire a car in Banff. I don't know how prices compare with hiring at Calgary Airport. The great advantage of hiring a car at the airport is that you avoid the nightmare that is a TO transfer, assuming that you're using a TO, but a car is certainly useful in Banff; I wouldn't have wanted to rely on the ski bus service although it is good as bus services go. BTW, the ski bus to Sunshine, LL and Banff is thrown in with the Tri Area lift pass but not with the local lift passes, IIRC.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helena, if you stay there you'll be among the first on the bus in the morning, and the first off in the evening. Banff Downtown is about a 15 minute walk from there.

I stayed at the Caribou, which is about two minutes towards town, so I don't know what the quality is like.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helena

To be honest hiring a car never crossed my mind. That said there were 14 of us, so it would have been a big one!!

However on reflection I can see the plus side to it but your trip certainly won't be compromised without one.

I stayed at the Caribou which was up the same end of town as Inns of Banff. We mostly got the happy bus in to town and a taxi back in the evenings. Taxis are reasonable as Richmond said.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helena,

I can't really add much to this, but I have also stayed at the IoB. From the point of convenience for buses and transfers, you can't beat it.

It's about the first place the transfer bus from the airport stops at, so while everyone else is still slogging through town from hotel to hotel, you'll be settling into your room. Because it's on the outskirts of town, it's also the last place the ski bus stops, so you don't have to slog around town while the bus picks everyone else up. (In other words the "45-minute ride" to Lake Louise really is 45 minutes).

The chief inconvenience is that it's about the most remote hotel from the town centre. If you want somewhere good value and in the heart of town, I'd recommend either the Mount Royal or the Banff International.

richmond, you can get decent tea at the Safeway in town, and make it yourself!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ooh, another thread on Banff!
about the only topic not covered in the answers above was the 'shuttle' (or 'loony' bus - so named as the dollar coin required to fund it has a lune, a local bird, on the back....).
The bus is now free.... it runs approx every 30 mins from about 5 pm to 9pm or so.... leaves from the marked bus stop outside the Swiss Village/ IoB, or sometimes actually on the IoB driveway, and stops sporadically in town. There are a handful of obvious pickups in town for the return. Be nice to the drivers, and they'll be nice to you.....

The walk into town isn't particularly arduous, but don't underestimate the cold in the evenings.

As for the difference between Swiss Inn and IoB, it appears to be just down to room size/layout - all other facilities are shared.
h.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helena, The IOB is an excellent hotel with large, well appointed rooms, a bar, restaurant, and one of the biggest and best hot tubs anywhere. I've syayed there 3 or 4 times and it is my favourite hotel in Banff.
Alongside the IOB is the Swiss Village. By North American standards Swiss Village would be regarded as a "budget" hotel, but it compares favourably with most medium to high priced European resort hotels, and although none of the rooms have much of a view but all of the excellent facilities of the IOB are available to you.
The one drawback is the distance to the downtown shops, bars and restorants. The ski bus is no problem, as they are frequent and stop on the hotel forecourt, but it is a good 15 minutes walk to downtown and it can be very, very cold at night.
If you consider renting a car you'll be better off collecting it at Calgary airport. Not only will you save the transfer but if you rent the car in Banff you probably be kilometer restriction. I'm not sure how many but I don't think it's much and if you go to Lake Louise (and you should) a few times you probably have to pay an excess.
Best of luck with your Banff trip and if you're there in March I might see you there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glad to hear that OverTheHill liked the IoB, so did I. There are certainly more luxurious hotels in Banff, the Banff Springs to name but one (which you should visit for the view from the bar and the buffet dinner and/or brunch). The IoB is perfectly adequate and has a bit more character to it than some other hotels at the cheaper (not cheapest) end of the market.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone! Have gone and booked the Swiss Village as there was a pretty good offer on Inghams (£445 for 11 nights!!!!) Now, the next question... Lift passes, buy before we go or when we're there? Also, can anyone recommend any good day trips or 'must sees'?
OverTheHill, Sorry! won't see you there as going at the end of Jan!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helena, I don't think that there are on line discounts for lift tix. If you're using a TO, they may offer a good deal, but I've never found them any better than buying yourself. Assuming that you'll ski at LL (and Norquay, well worth a visit or several), buy a tri area pass; the ski bus, including to LL, is included. You can buy at the ski bases, natch, and at the ski co's office in town (and maybe elsewhere) and at some hotels I think, not IoB SFAIR.

Must sees. Hmmm. The buffet dinner and/or Sunday brunch in the Banff Springs hotel is a must eat, and the hotel itself is worth a look. Look out for all you can eat sushi fests in the IoB's Japanese restaurant. There's a gondola up Sulphur Mountain, which is fine but hardly a must see. If you have kids, there are a couple of places on the main drag (Banff Avenue) which make sweeties in public. There are the eponymous springs, where you can swim, but in 6 visits, I've never made it. There's dog sledding at LL, and better dog sledding near Canmore. Ski doo riding near Golden (totally knackering). There's a walk up a 'frozen canyon' (Johnson's Canyon?) and the usual snow shoeing stuff. The Trading Post shop just across the river from the town is fascinating, especially for kids.

Calgary is a dump, but if you go, the rotating restaurant on top of whatever the big tower is is worth a visit (it's not pricey). If you want a day off, a drive up the Icefields Parkway to the Columbia Icefield is OK.

If you hire a car, drive to LL along Highway 1A (instead of 1), if it's clear. It's the old main road, very little slower (sometimes quicker) than 1, and much pleasanter. In LL, have a look at the lake and the inside of the Chateau LL hotel. Visit the LL Station for a beer at least, preferably dinner; the food is good but the atmos is great.

Have a great time; wish I was going.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good summary from Richmond. Dog-sledding at Canmore highly recommended! We also went to Jasper on a 2 day trip, which was a great drive along the Columbia Icefields and then a full day's skiing at Marmot Basin. However, if you're only there for 11 days probably not worth doing this. Also worth a walk to the Cave and Basin - the site of the original Banff springs - or a walk in the opposite direction along the river to the falls near the Banff Springs Hotel.
ski holidays
Richmond brings back memories of my honeymoon. Had a week in Banff and a week in Lake louise. Did the dog sledding and ski doo riding which were great, also went tracking wolves with the local wolf research people which awas fantastic, didn't get to see any wolves but went to a couple of kills etc, great fun. Stayed in Buffalo Mountain Lodge out of town up Buffalo mountain which was fantastic, great rooms with rouring fire, huge bathroom with heated floor, deer and elk outside the window, amazing food. Banff has a great wild west feel, remember going into a bar and watching the Ice Hockey with locals in cowboy hats! If your in Lake louise I would recommend a meal at Chateau Lake Louise and a horse drawn sled rid around and on the frozen lake (wrap up warm though!)
Skied at Lake Louise, great lifties, no queue jumping or waiting, spectacular views, real rocky mountain wilderness. All in all an awesome place and one i wish to go back to, 10th anniversary in 2 years, maybe we will return then!
ski holidays
Helena, Congratulations on your booking. You've made a good choice, although the end of January can be mighty cold so make sure you pack your thermals.
Unless Inghams do a special deal on lift tickets you might as well buy your tickets in Banff. I think you can buy them through the IOB but if not there is an office downtown where you can buy them. If you are not renting a car you'll need to use the ski bus so make sure you buy the "Tri Area" pass which includes you bus fare. Have a look at http://www.skibig3.com/onmountain/tickets.cfm for prices.
You have 3 ski areas to choose from. Norquay, Sunshine and Lake Louise. Norquay is the closest but it's also the smallest. It's a good choice if you only want a half day's skiing. Sunshine has the best snow anywhere. It's all natural and in 8 years I've never seen bad snow conditions there. A slight downside is that much of the skiing is above the tree line and if the weather is overcast the light can be very "flat". I tend to ski at Sunshine when the sun shines and Lake Louise (which has much more glade sking) when it's cloudy.
At Sushine make sure you do the Goat's Eye and at LL make sure you go over the back side and do the Larch area.
The "must sees" are all around you. The drive from Banff to LL is a spectacular journey, much of it along the Bow river and you'll see this every time you go skiing.
If you want a day off from skiing Brewsters Coaches run several excursions. An all day trip is along the Ice Fields Parkway. It's a long trip but well worth it. There will probably be flyers for Brewsters in the IOB but if not you can get details from Brewsters Mountain Lodge on Caribou Street or in the tourist infomation office.
The Chateau at Lake Louise is worth a visit, and around the Lake the ice sculptures should sill be in good condition.
Go down to the Bow River Falls in front of the Banff Springs Hotel and if you want a special dinner the Banff Springs do an "all you can eat" buffet for about $55. That sounds a lot but considering what you get it's a real bargain.
I'm sure you'll enjoy Banff in January. I'll be in Courcheval at the end of January where it wont be as cold but I doubt the skiing will be as good.
ski holidays
DRHOSKING wrote:
Richmond brings back memories of my honeymoon.

That's not something I hear very often.

Almost everyone who posts on this forum about Banff has happy memories of it, although I saw one post from someone who hadn't liked it all. Can't remember why.
latest report
Thanks everybody! I'm sooooooo excited now!! this was a real last minute decision due to the poor snow in Europe...subsequently I've not had much chance to research so really appreciate your replies. Very Happy
snow report
You should have a great time. Don't overlook Norquay, the closest area to Banff. It's small, but there's something for everyone, including some difficult (though short) stuff. There are other ski areas within easy(ish) reach for a day's skiing; Kicking horse, Nakiska, Fortress. I've only been to Nakiska, which is pretty small and gentle, Fortress and KH are more demanding.
ski holidays
Helena, As I know your skiing take a tip from me and ignore the Goat's Eye as you won't enjoy that area too much. Nik's favourite bit of the mountain but he had a few falls there.

Stayed in town years ago and did the bus thing. No problem at all. Long ride to LL but slept in the morning and had a couple of drinks on the way back.
Last time there stayed in Banff Springs for the Millenium. Great hotel if a bit stuffy for me. If you fancy a day off they have a health suite which also allows you to use the indoor 50m pool and the outdoor one. Waiter service at the outdoor one so you don't even have to leave the water.
Good selection of pubs and restaurants.

I can recommend car hire. We had a 4x4 when we stayed at the Springs, gave us a load of flexibility, expecially for us late risers. If you get one pay a visit to the Chateau and get close to the lake. The road to Jasper is recommended too.

Who you going with?

Must sign off, there's a drink with my name on it only 4 minutes away. (Lots of drink actually, already had the riot act read by her indoors after my performance last year).
snow conditions
I enjoyed Banff so much last January that I'm off there again in less than 3 weeks and strangely enough I'm staying at the Swiss Village! I was at IoB last time but I wanted to go for 10 days this time, Swiss Village was a bit more affordable for me as a single traveller.
latest report
Cymru am Byth wrote:
Helena, As I know your skiing take a tip from me and ignore the Goat's Eye as you won't enjoy that area too much. Nik's favourite bit of the mountain but he had a few falls there.

But there's a lovely long blue swooping down right from the top - I forget its name, Sunshine Coast??, but there's nothing wrong with that run, with a few variations off it. One of my favourite runs there snowHead
snow conditions
cathy, how I'd love to go back and ski that run rolling eyes Laughing
The last (only) time I was there, my nephews decided that it would be perfect for me as a week two skier, and I believed them... and three hours later got to the bottom on foot Shocked Laughing (They didn't recognise how little I'd done in the first week!)
Helena - you'll have a great time!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 22-12-06 10:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Michelle, Laughing Laughing ooops!
snow report
Cymru am Byth, I'm going with my lovely fella... the one that I was holed up in Devon with when you and Nik were in town the other week!! Luckily he's a good skier so can go and suss the runs out for me. He can do the hard stuff on goats eye and I'll do that blue run that cathy, described.
i've gotta go now as we're finishing work to go the pub for an afternoon session!
snow report
Helena,

Norquay is the ideal place to ski at the weekend. LL and Sunshine get all the crowds from Calgary, while Norquay is the locals' hill.

Some excellent cruisers.
snow report
SSSSSSooooooooo jealous, great place, my fav resort and the snow this year looks fantastic.

Enjoy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy