Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Munich Airport into Austria....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone driven into Austria from Munich via Garmisch? Was wondering what the roads are like either side of the border.

My destination is Soelden - do you think its best to go via Garmisch or the other way around via Kufstein and Innsbruck?

Thanks for the help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bbc website auto route buddy Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tirol, I've driven into Austria from Munich, but I was heading to Zell am See. Don't think I went too close to Garmish?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tirol, I have been over the Fernpass several times in winter, I don't know if the Scharnitzpass is kept open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tirol, I've driven from Salzburg->Soelden (going very close to Munich) and more recently from Munich->Hintertux (about 1 hour from Soelden).
It's motorways/dual carriageways most of the way. Don't forget you should buy a Vignette before you get the border. The vignette is a cross between car tax and a permit/toll to use the motorways. It's something like €7.50 for 10 days. You can get them at service/petrol stations near the border.
I've only driven the road up to Soelden late season (April). It was moderately windy, but I've driven over far worse. Would definitely recommend winter tyres, but I would have thought you wouldn't need snow-chains.
In terms of route, this is the way I'd go.
Based upon my experience - in good conditions it will be more like 2.5 hours rather than the 4 hours that Google Maps suggests.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tirol, Going over Garmisch looks closer on the map but I'd still motorway it via Kufstein. Probably quicker and less chance of snow disruption.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kamikaze, Bode Swiller,

Thanks for that just what I was after, think sticking on the motorway for as much as I can is the answer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I've driven into Austria from Munich, but I was heading to Zell am See. Don't think I went too close to Garmish?

Timing and prices of my usual flight to Salzburg are not working out, so I was wondering about fly drive from Munich to Kaprun. What is the journey like in winter - I've done it a few times in summer and how long is it like;y to take?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boyo, The road to Kaprun (village as opposed to Kitzsteinhorne) is all pretty flat. Google maps for some reason can't find Kaprun, even though it's on the map. To neighbouring Zell am See (perhaps 10km) it says its 180km and 3 hours from Munich to Zell.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Google maps for some reason can't find Kaprun

Thanks - same with theaa.com

If I remember it feels like a down hill ride all the way from Munich to Zell/Kaprun - via the old border checkpoint. Timing is interesting as that worksout as 60KMH average speed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tirol,
Quote:
Thanks for that just what I was after, think sticking on the motorway for as much as I can is the answer.

Tirol, sorry I picked up on this thread a bit late. I would go via Garmisch->Fernpass->Imst->Soelden if I were you. That's the way I always go. The motorway takes you right past Innsbruck, where things can get really slow.
Fernpass is always open. I can't ever remember it being closed, and as long as you have winter tyres on the car you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, it's the more scenic route!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Tirol,
Quote:

Tirol, sorry I picked up on this thread a bit late. I would go via Garmisch->Fernpass->Imst->Soelden if I were you. That's the way I always go. The motorway takes you right past Innsbruck, where things can get really slow.
Fernpass is always open. I can't ever remember it being closed, and as long as you have winter tyres on the car you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, it's the more scenic route!

I'll have a hire car with snow chains....

...looking at the weather though, there seems to be very little chance of snow Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tirol, at least you have the glacier in Soelden as fallback. Shouldn't be too bad up there. When are you going?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Tirol, at least you have the glacier in Soelden as fallback. Shouldn't be too bad up there. When are you going?

Going tomorrow fog permitting. been to Soelden a few times before and was wondering if we should try somewhere different when we booked back in September - however the snow situation vindicates the decision! My in-laws got there today and said that there was more snow than they expected given all the doom and gloom. There is over 100km open at the moment and I expect a bit more will open this weekend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy