Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the glacier in Cervinia actually on the Swiss side?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off skiing in Cervina over xmas. Seeing as snow conditions are going to be best high up (especially on the glacier) as no new snow is forecast we were thinking about going up on the glacier. However from the piste map I have it looks like it's on the swiss side and we only have Cervinia area ski passes. Does that mean we'll need to upgrade our passes to go up to the top?

Thanks in advance Happy

AL
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, the best galcier skiing requires an international pass
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
typical! Thanks for the speedie answer even though it wasn't what i wanted to hear Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The_Mac_Daddy, I'm going to Zermatt at New Year. On the Cervinia webcams, there always seems to be plenty of people skiing on what looks like pretty decent snow over much of the terrain on that side. Not that I've been glued to the webcams or anything! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
We're off skiing in Cervina over xmas. Seeing as snow conditions are going to be best high up (especially on the glacier) as no new snow is forecast we were thinking about going up on the glacier. However from the piste map I have it looks like it's on the swiss side and we only have Cervinia area ski passes. Does that mean we'll need to upgrade our passes to go up to the top?

Thanks in advance Happy

AL

Cervinia, arguably, has the best overall conditions in the entire Alps right now. You will be fine. However, the Cervinia ski area is mostly limited and unchallenging. Chances are, you will end up venturing over the border once or twice, anyway.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know, glad I chose Cervinia now. Booked the hol ages ago and almost went for the 3V. The terrain is ideal for me as I'm recovering from an operation so am not at full fitness anyways. Can't wait Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cervinia itself looks very good at the moment!

Top of the main gondala

plenty of snow at resort level
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best of luck! Not been there for quite a time, but I think a run called Venturon was the best. Red but not too demanding even for me. And the blacks over to the right as you look up the hill are OK too. You simply can't take your eyes off the Matterhorn. Good choice, The_Mac_Daddy,

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I think a run called Venturon was the best

Ventino (I think). Anyway it's run number 7. A fantastic run top to bottom.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skanky, As usual, you are right. It was number 7. I think Ventino means windy, so just beware of getting stuck on the wrong side of the border. the high lifts close in bad weather and it is a long taxi-ride back.

snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish wrote:
the high lifts close in bad weather and it is a long taxi-ride back. snowHead

When I was there this seemed to be a problem on the Cervinia side, there are drags on the Zermatt side that might save you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The_Mac_Daddy,

Cervinia is fine and you can find whatever you want...and the pistes are a blast. The top cable is about 3400, I think, and the glacier on the Zermatt side is the same type of run... long and fast and cruisey. You should go over just for the look but Zermatt is rocky so might not have the better cover. They will all be flat anyway so you should be ok.
You will see the Matterhorn from its best side and worth a trip on a blue-ski day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's the view from the Swiss side of the glacier & the top of the Italian side:

View from Platesu Rosa (that's Monte Bianco in the background, conversely you can see Monte Cervino from Courmayeur):

Pancheron is a quieter part of the resort - off to the left as you look up the slope. The chairlift's quite old and slow, but you're basically on the slopes of Cervino (Matterhorn) and the slopes are quite spectacular. It's fun skiing if not technically demanding. View from the top of Pancheron:

Not many of the actual runs unfortunately. The views tended to draw the eye.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info everyone. I have actually been to Cervinia once (a while back) but as a beginner and never made it over the boarder. I did go down red 7 and agree it was an excellent run (if a little windy at the top). I can't wait to go back, forecast is for no snow Sad but on the bright side it's going to be lovely and sunny next week so will be cruising in the sun on nice flat packed pistes snowHead the perfect way to kick off the season me thinks snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's well worth going over the Swiss side to go to the viewing platform
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/peaks/kleinmatterhorn.html

And to go into the Glacier Ice Caves.
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/angebote/gletschergrotte.html
snow report
Thanks for the tip, we'll give it a go when we get a nice day - should get some good photos I think!
latest report
The_Mac_Daddy, i can highly recomend the coppa pan for a fantastic meal...the irish bar up stairs [at street level] is pretty good too Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy