Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This week's Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Is Ski Sunday sufficiently snow-related for The Piste?
There may have already been a discussion on this but I can't find one so here goes:

I thought the girls' freestyle boarding was great...to begin with. But it quickly lost its appeal due to the very limited number of tricks they were able to perform - I'm sure the guys can do somersaults / backflips, etc...can't they?. No, I can't do any better but I'd rather watch X-Games BMX or skateboard tricks.

Whichever Bell brother (was it Graham?) did the run down the race course - which always fills me with admiration - wore a heart-monitor (first time I've seen that particular bit of kit in use on a skiier) and his heart-rate peaked at 187bpm Shocked Puzzled That can't be good for you, can it?? He must have been pretty scared which probably shows just how hard it is to get down the track at all!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red Leon, I think he should try and relax and let the skis do the work! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red Leon, I got my heart rate to 178 in the gym this morning and I'm quite a bit older than him (49). His heart rate undoubtedly reflected a combination of fear and massive power output. Downhills much beyond 2 minutes produce a real problem with tiredness due to lactic acid because a lot of the exercise is anaerobic - a bit like and 800m running race where they have to balance the anaerobic output so they don't go Bambi-legged in the finish straight.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon,

I though the programme was OK. I only watch it to see the snow. Not really interested in racing etc, but is Bell and that other bloke going to have a silly little competition with each other every week over wether snowboarding is better than skiing.

They had some nice shots of Kaprun and Zell am See showing the snow level to be well above the village
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Leon, I enjoy it, not sure about the titles, feel they are a little naff and I am worried that the snowboarding will mean that we get to see less racing than before. I did think that their presentation of the Men's Downhill from Val Gardena was a little more limited that it has been when snowboarding wasn't included.

Apart from that, it beats getting up so early to watch the Channel 4 programme and I never remember to record it rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Red Leon, what time and channel is Ski Sunday on? I assume it's on Sundays... Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowy, Usually it's part of "Grandstand" on BBC2, sunday afternoons. Start times can vary between 12 noon and 5pm unfortunately
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Sunday has improved its coverage. It is better than it was. The two presenters are clearly trying to turn the program into a snowy version of Top Gear. Lots of banter, high-octane stunts, etc. I think it will get better over the next few episodes and series, as they rise up the experience curve. But Ski Sunday will never be perfect. Less than 5% of the UK population partakes in snowsports. It is a niche subject for a niche audience. Thus, it will always have a modest budget. It will always feel a bit cheap.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, thanks. Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To give people some idea of just how ski sunday is run, last year I met Hazel Irvine out in Wengen for the downhill, she and her cameraman had to be on the train down the mountain before the race even starts on Saturday in order to get back to the uk in time to edit the footage and do the comentary for Sundays show, she was in the car and on the way to Zurich when she got a phone call to tell her how well Finlay was doing and had to turn arround and drive back in order to do the interview with him in the garden at the Hotel Alpenrose where he was staying
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its a shame that the BBC don't invest a little more in their coverage of these things, after all they are supposed to cater for the audiences no one else will. Thing is just because only 5% of the population ski, doesn't mean its only the population who ski who watch it - as a kid I religiously watched ski sunday, even though I couldn't ski and didn't take up skiing until I was 33
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A BPM max of 187 is not a problem. I'm a saddo triathlete and max out at 196. Rates will vary from individual to individual and actually don't matter that much, it's the recovery time that's important. When I ski it's nowhere near as high but I love to push the limits a bit, just the way I like to ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatirishman, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatirishman, welcome to snowHead s!
Triathlete - much respect.
Max heart rate 196 - much much respect.
fat - don't believe it. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Things may have changed (as these things tend to), but the general "rule of thumb" for BPM used to be max should never exceed 220 minus your age. So for someone 49 years old, max should be 220 - 49 = 171. 196 is fine for a youngster, but for someone in their fifties or sixties that's getting risky Shocked
snow conditions
Phil Jordan,
Max heart rate is by that formula is nothing to do with what is or is not risky. It is to determine appropriate training zones. It is an estimate of what your heart rate may max out when exercising as strenuously as possible. As fatirishman, points out there is a large interindividual variation and is nothing to do with what should not be exceeded.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy