Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More defibrillators needed on the mountains, says UK doctor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Example of a portable defibrillator
Sudden cardiac death is a real risk for people who ski if they have heart problems or high blood pressure, or if they’re not used to strenuous exercise. One vital way to improve survival after a heart attack is defibrillation as soon as possible with an electrical devise used to restore normal heart rhythm (a defibrillator). Every minute counts. A doctor writing in latest issue of the British Medical Journal has described how she came across a collapsed man at the top of a ski slope in Europe, and the nearest defibrillator was in the local town a cable-car journey away. They had to wait 8 minutes for the emergency helicopter to arrive with a machine. ...She is asking that defibrillators should be made available in isolated areas where relatively large numbers of people visit, such as ski slopes. She also says that research has found that non-medical personnel like ski patrollers can be successfully trained to operate defibrillators.

See:
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/333/7581/1276
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lets face it - they even have them in damn shopping centres these days. Should be one with the first aid kit in every manned lift station.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last week someone died of a heart attack on slopes at snowbird.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's one thing having the defib there, but you need to have people who are properly trained in CPR, or at least have the fundamentals of ABC.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, CPR is part of the first aid course done by all instructors.

On my last refresher we were told that the following one would probably include defibrillator training as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, I'm glad to hear that!
(I've been learning a bit more about it myself recently, and in the last 15 years, techniques have changed - it used to be 1:5, it's now 1:30, I believe)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, I was told it was 2:15
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AHA and Resus Council in the UK current guidelines are 2 breaths to 30 compressions, with compressions at 100/min.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BGA, sorry, you're right - 2:30, not 1:30.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was talking to the guy who does our resus training at work (I own a dental practice) and he was telling me that some people 'in the industry' are pushing for the guidelines to change so that single, non-healthcare preofessional resucuer without any form of airway aid (AMBU bag or ET tube etc.) should do chest compressions only. This apparently is because without a lot of practice research suggests that unaided breaths don't really do a lot. Didn't convince me but these guys are the experts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spend half my life teaching both health professionals and lay people to do CPR and to use automated defibrillators
BGA, they were right, during the first few minutes the most important factors for survival from cardiac arrest are compressions and early defibrillation. Have you seen the new standards document from the Resuscitation Council (UK) for Dental Practices?

Until recently some European countries had legislation that precluded anyone other than a medic from using a defib, so they were not postioned for public access. we dont have any restrictions on who can use them in the UK.

this might help answer some questions on automated defibs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nells, thanks for the link - that's the protocol we are currently working to. We've got two dentists (one of which is me) who have done an ALS course because we do quite a bit of IV sedation. What our resus officer was saying (unless I misunderstood) was that in the absence of airways and other aids then you should do chest compressions only until EMS arrives. The rationale, as you state, was that in the case of arrest compressions do the most good so it's better to concentrate on doing that properly rather than trying to do both and not acheiving the desired effect with either. Is that the case?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BGA wrote:
The rationale, as you state, was that in the case of arrest compressions do the most good so it's better to concentrate on doing that properly rather than trying to do both and not acheiving the desired effect with either. Is that the case?

sort of, the new guidelines make allowances for circumstances where a rescuer is unable or unwilling to perform rescue breaths, the ideal remains to do both breaths and compressions effectively,probably using a faceshield/mask/bag to protect the rescuer, but the emphysis is definately on the need for lots of compressions and early defibrillation. (so in effect, yes your right breathing doesnt matter for the first few minutes)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy