Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
snowzebra wrote:
Others in family went to Avoriaz yesterday and said conditions excellent, good snow etc. Was getting wet and slushy here in Les Gets. Now it is still snowing in LG village, 2 degs, so hope/presume is settling up top, meant to be freezing at 1600m today.

Cheers, what is Avoria like for beginners? (as in, never ever even had ski boots on!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Report from about 1250m on the Route des Chavannes. I see through the window it's stopped snowing and it even looks likes the sun is trying to break through.

The conditions under ski this morning around the bowl and on the lower part of Nyon weren't bad, just difficult to see. We stopped for lunch at L'Hotty's (sp?) and watched the trees cover with snow - beautiful - but snow-users were looking wet and miserable. The flakes continued to get bigger and fluffier until about 3pm, then were getting smaller and wetter. About 3 inches must have fallen this morning. If the temp falls as it's forecast to, and the pisteurs do their usual good job tonight the first few hours tomorrow will be glorious.

Chery nord was a little sticky yesterday afternoon when I took youngest over there, but the sides of the pistes under the chairlift were wonderful. The nice people at SA Gets are keeping it open until Sunday and offering silly prices on lift passes, including for the whole Les Gets/Morzine area (which they now plan to keep open until 20th April I see).

Have to go as we're going to get a drink at teh Marmotte and laugh at the waiter. If you know who I mean, you'll know what I mean... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyph, if he's anything like the waiter in L'op'Traken then he'll be a right wierd one - the bloke has the most quizzical look on his face I've ever seen!

His eyes looked like they were popping clean out of his head andd every time he put a plate down on the table, he had this frowning look as if the plate had just called him a name!! Smile Great place to eat though...

Has that Retour Des Nants down into Morzine got any fresh cover? Was seriously knackered after doing that down into Morzine mid-week on my toe edge – it was like solid, inpenetrable ice with the odd bit of grass coming through!! Really put me off going down to Morzine last week (along with the crowded Piste B), as the lower slopes were seriously hard packed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bumps are best. Moguls are the only way. Skierz rool.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman wrote:
The ski bike things for the disabled - jesus, how they manage to stay upright I don't know! Must have arms like Schwartzenegger!!!

No, no the stupid ones that are like scooters for the abled.

I never cease to be impressed by people in ski bobs. I'd be scared whitless.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Standee wrote:
Cheers, what is Avoria like for beginners? (as in, never ever even had ski boots on!)

It's very good for beginners Standee. As are Morzine and Les Gets. Lots of greens and blues.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Specialman, Retour Des Nants was dead yesterday. I'll be checking out the snow level in teh morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, here's a piccie of what ski bikes look like

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it snowed quite heavily yesterday down to resort level and it is still snowing now! The clouds are threateneing to lift soon so should be an excellent day...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton wrote:
Standee wrote:

It's very good for beginners Standee. As are Morzine and Les Gets. Lots of greens and blues.

Problem with Les Gets and Morzine is that the Pleney is due to close on April 20th, my sister is coming with us on her first ski trip ever and I want to be sure she has somewhere to learn, Gwyn and I have been to PDS before but I have never really taken much notice of what it is like for beginners as we tend to stick to the harder stuff.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All our lot except me went to Mt Chery yesterday and had fabulous powder. Not much vis because of the low cloud, but no great problem - lovely wide pistes and very few other skiers. They had a great lunch at the Grande Ours, and said the snow was some of the best they had ever skied.
Snowed yesterday evening and some of the night so should be excellent today, sun is now out and blue skies are appearing as the clouds clear.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee, that's criminal..... nasty Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Specialman, I don't think it's for me either! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Youngest just got back from Mt Chery, skiing in thigh-deep powder for the first time down the Mouflon. Now oldest is trying to break the 50mph barrier with the assistance of our host's GPS. And I'm sat here tom and dick thanks to a dodgy Steak Tartare at L'Hottys yesterday. Just my luck. Still, prospect of more snow tonight so our last day will be something to look forward to. In fact it's snowing now at 1250m. Crossing my fingers...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got back from Les Gets yesterday. Skied yesterday morning, it snowed all morning higher up and was raining at resort level when we left. Conditions were great though, as they had been all week. The new snow will have helped cover the few patchy bits. Really enjouyed Les Gets, a fantastic place for famillies. The Nursery in Les Gets comes hightly recommended, a lovely place for 6 months to 4 years.

My eldest little boy loved the ESF group lessons and was skiing blues and doing jumps quite happilly at the end of the week. The Grand Cry Territory was also a big hit. We'll definitely be back.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 3-04-08 12:43; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
By the way Specialman - i know the exact waiter you mean in L'op'Traken!!
snow report
jo reuben, the guy with the ponytail? Poor bloke didn't know what was wromng when we were howling with laughter... felt bad but it was the only way we could deal with the crazyness of staying at the Hotel Chamois!!!
snow report
Yes ponytail, he had the same expression on his face the whole time! Good food and OK place to take the kids. Hotel Chamois not great then? We stayed in an apartment just across from Les Perrieres lifts which was great as there is a bit for sledging there.
latest report
Chamois was funny - like Fawlty Towers run by gap year students. Really chilled out, a bit odd but a place to crash at the end of the day. Thin walls though so lots of ale is needed to sleep through the staff coming back at 3am after a night on the lash!!
snow report
Coming from Flaine to Les Gets on Saturday for a few days - normally have a day off on Saturday, shopping etc, should we leave Flaine asap and aim to ski asap? Sounds like everything is open still. Have had a great time here but Les Gets is like coming home Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Just come back down from avoriaz/Chatel. What a great day skiing. Wonderful off piste. Just need to have glorious sunshine tomorrow, then it will be perfect.
ski holidays
Beautiful day in Chatel today. Woke up to clear blue skies and snow in the garden. Went up to Super Chatel - empty, powder, beautiful pistes, no one around skiing any off the off piste. PERFECT!

More snow (down to 1000 m) forecast for Sunday as well.

Excellent.
ski holidays
Great to hear Snowmonkey.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, are you able to squeeze in another trip before the season ends? Go on...you know you want to wink
snow report
Snowmonkey - I'm actually in Morzine, very briefly, on Thursday on the way to Zermatt via Chamonix. If it weren't for the fact that MrsPhillipStanton is hosting a "girlie weekend" (read - binge champagne drinking rolling eyes and very pootly skiing) at our apartment then I'd be around. As it is Len Holgate and I have been "expelled" from the apartment and I'm hoping our friends in Chamonix will put us up for a couple of nights.

The snow sounds annoyingly good though!

We're out the first May bank holiday - so if there's something worth doing I'd be up for a gentle spot of randonee if anyone's around and up for it. Nothing hairy.
snow report
Quote:
no one around

no one around here either - we had entire, long, red runs to ourselves in Notre Dame de Bellecombe this morning. The area seems almost deserted. What's going on? Will it be busier with the French holidays (and in the rain, quite possibly Crying or Very sad ) next week?
ski holidays
Snowing all day today in Les Gets, superb conditions, have rarely enjoyed skiing more. No-one on the lifts or pistes, patches of sunshine whilst the snow was falling, powder like silk. La Paika for a faultless lunch.
Unbeatable.
ski holidays
Just got back to manchester. Left Morzine at 6am to sleet. Not a nice drive, especially as I knew the snow would be falling on the mountain. What a great 5 days skiing. No queues. Thursday was one of those wonderful powder days that leaves you completely knackered but excilerated. Friday glorious sunshine and great skiing on powder. saturday colder and harder snow but again excellent.

Well that's me for the season. Skiamade at New year, la plagne early March and Morzine/Avoriaz April. Still trying to work out twhat has been the best. Completely broke but hey, my bank statement hasn't arrived so what is the point of worrying/ Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowzebra wrote:
...powder like silk.

Please don't do that to me snowzebra - it's simply not fair Toofy Grin
snow report
snowzebra, we stopped there for a hot choc late lunchtime to try out, had already eaten elsewhere so maybe our paths crossed! (Did you see Kevin Mc Cloud?!). So very quiet, no queues at all....anywhere, Chavannes Express, nauchets etc. Still snowing beautiful big flakes outside as I write, bodes well for our penultimate day skiing of 2007/08 tomorrow Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just woken up to clear blue skies, lots of fresh powder, and the boom of avalache control...

Cheerio Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
So have I. Just woken up to clear blue skies and fresh snow on the floor. In Manchester sous niege. So there NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
kevducky, quick, climb a hill... wink .
latest report
Mont Chery closed Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Shock Shock despite all this snow, it's a crime
snow conditions
WHAAAAAT!!!!!!! Criminal. Why's it closed?
ski holidays
Specialman, don't know, we've come back for lunch (v near MC lift) and is all shut up. Also listed as shut on pistes website. Not sure if that's it or if just temp. Was so looking forward to Marmotte after lunch Sad
snow conditions
Lou - time to hire some skinning kit Wink
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, having just eaten too much comfort food, I might just do that! Shocked

No the plan now is Pointe de Nyon or Chamossiere (now that they've finished with the dynamite)
snow conditions
Why do I get the feeling we are going to arrive to closed lifts all over when we come out on the 19th! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Standee, snow is great in Les Gets at the mo though the season does officially finish on 20th, not sure where you are heading?

Had a good run on the Arbis, though someone had put some moguls on the steep bits just for me, aagh......couldn't help looking wistfully over at Mont Chery though. Skiied back down after very pleasant drink in the sun at top of Fys chair, must have been last down, bliss Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy