Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A season in Morzine - "there's snow in them there hills"...

Poster: A snowHead
Pickled herring rogan josh

Well, following all the excitement we've finally landed.

We had a good, but depressing, trip down on Saturday. Depressing because all through Champagne and the top end of Bergundy the weather was sweltering; we were down to T-shirts and had the cooling on. Things only really began to improve when we were an hour or so north of Geneva - where good weather gave way to really, really heavy rain - which turned into sleet - which turned into snow in Morzine.

Good news of sorts. Bad news because we definitely need snow tyres on our car - one turning was, well, Shocked

So, anyway, why on our first day in resort did we find ourselves nearly eating pickled herring rogan josh?

It's because in all the preparations for the season we failed to spot that Saturday is followed by Sunday. And our bit of France closes out of season on Sundays.

And for part of Sunday we'd mislaid our bank card and that would have led us to having to have made something out of:

- porridge
- museli
- Lloyd Grossman curry sauces (assorted)
- coffee
- white tea
- lemon oil
- and the two jars of pickled herring that were lurking in the fridge in London

Fortunately, looking in the right jacket (one I'd already "checked" rolling eyes) prevented a culinary disaster...

So - top tip learning experience from the seaon so far - pack some food for the first day - just in case Wink

Anyway, Tuesday, saw a trip to the Zoo for some new boots that I didn't want to buy (because the old ones were very, very comfortable), but knew I needed. Even more so know I've been through the SMALLZOOKEEPER "treatment".

I am now the proud owner of a brand, shiny new pair of Dalbello Krypton Pros. In green. Just like the ones in this thread. Also in a 26.0.

I don't know if anyone else is suspicious, but I'm beginning to get a feeling that SMALLZOOKEEPER only really sells Dalbello Krypton Pros in size 26.0 in green - all the other boots in the shop are just for show...

...but in all seriousness, if you need new boots and can get to Chamonix then go to the Zoo. I thought it was worth the trip from Morzine - and the couple on the other bench thought that it was worth a day trip from Manchester. I didn't tell SMALLZOOKEEPER this, but I'd asked my Morzine contacts for local boot fitting recommendations and two out of four of them were for Footworks.

Anyway, the new boots have managed to break a momentary (and accidental) colour coordination that had happened with my kit. As as we all know, the less your kit matches, the better the skier you think you are Wink

So, what to do until the lifts open? DIY...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 14-12-06 19:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funny, few beers, read your post, and I now have a craving to try pickled herring rogan josh !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odin - I feel a new food craze breaking... Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton, Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! snowHead

What e-mail addy are you on? I've sent a mail to your usual one so let me know if it got forwarded on.

Hope you have a lovely day! G xx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, a great diary, Please try and keep it coming. Apart from the wind, pickled herring rogan josh is tastier than you would imagine. Tastes the same in both directions Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton, I'll echo FtS sentiments (not for the first time Confused ) keep us up to speed! Toofy Grin
I was going to ask you to explain about the cute one and why is he "really cute" but I guess we need a female opinion on that Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, He wears a bandana, and is a bit scruffy looking. Makes women of a certain age remember their youth wink

Been nice knowing you all.......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pneu seems to be the hardest word

Following the great snow tyre debate, we took our trusty (but not yet rusty) Peuguot 205 to the local garage for some snow tyres today.

Why? Well, when we arrived it was snowing, I broke very gently.............and sometime later came to halt halfway across the roundabout. I've driven in snow - I'd left plenty of space. We needed new tyres.

So, anyway, the French for tyre is "pneu". You try saying it. No, really. In English that pesky "p" would be silent. But not in French.

"J'ai besoin de cinq pee new de neige"...

Thankfully, the man at the garage has seen it all - especially from the English community.

"Pneu", he said, "puh nuh" (slowly and loudly) - several times. It's not just a British thing.

Anyway, three hours later, the car was ready ("you can't get slower than a Francais fitter" perhaps?) and we then hit the next problem. It's usual to give you the summer tyres back, but we'd decided we don't want them (we're going to run snow tyres all year as we only do around 6,000 miles a year). Anyway, it's a small car and we had my parents with me. Anyone know the French for:

"Would you prefer me to leave the old tyres behind or my parents"....?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 14-12-06 19:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, Brilliant!
In Kwik Fit here I had to ask for my summer tyres back Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee wrote:
PhillipStanton, Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! snowHead

So how old are you today Cartman???
I think you must be really, really old wink. Who'd have believed that you'd make it this far.
Happy birthday.

geetee I'm afraid some things are just so tempting that you have to break cover for them. I'll go back to my lurking now...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'est-ce que vous preferiez que je laisse mes parents ou les pneus dans votre garage?'
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevej, Laughing hahaha! Welcome to snowHead Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
poma, ou
"peut-etre ma femme serrait tres content si je prendrais les pneus, mais je serrais desole"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Please keep the diary going. I'm in Morzine (at Chalet Shufu) in January so any on mountain restaurant tips would be great (apart from the goat village and Bebettes which I know very well). Please keep telling me the snow is improving for the next three weeks as well - just lie if you need to .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds awesome Smile Makes the countdown to Morzine even more unbearable!
latest report
PhillipStanton, Excellent - I look forward to reading future installments! Very Happy You could have tried "je voudrai laisser les vieux pneus chez vous" or "s.vp. mettez le vieux pneus dans la poubelle". (poubelle is just the BEST french word in the world - ever. Just like auspoof (sp) in german). Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
ashton parker, There's a thread somewhere for Les Gets / Morzine mountainside eateries. Maybe someone can find it and post the link? (I couldn't). La Rosetta? at top of La Rosta chair on the Les Gets side was one I recall (I've never eaten there... only le Mouflon which is nearby). Another recommended one is in the Nyon/Cham. secteur whose name I can't recall, but one of the LG/M crowd will no doubt remind me.
latest report
easiski has made me think of a different way of phrasing it.
"Est-ce vous voudriez que je laisserais les vieux ou les vieux pneus?"
(Would you like me to leave the oldies or the old tires?)
snow conditions
BTW, I am enjoying reading this thread and fantasizing that I might do a ski season one year, so please keep up the diary PhillipStanton, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
latest report
PhillipStanton, Happy birthday! ...and keep the reports coming!!!
snow report
easiski - you're making assumptions about my desire to retain my parents over a set of tyres Wink

Nick L - perfect!

geetee and stevej - lovely cards, thank-you. (I'm using the work email.)

And thank you all for the birthday greetings.
snow report
There's snow in them there hills...
...no, honest, there is.

I can tell you that because I saw it arrive by both helicopter and truck when we popped up to Avoriaz this afternoon. Avoriaz are farming snow somewhere and trucking / flying it in.

To be fair, they look to have done a sterling job of sorting out the pistes above Avoriaz and it looks like they'll open on Saturday as planned.

The snow is, however, very sugary. I'm told by the locals that this means that stones will haunt us all season as they won't have been frozen into ground level...

...if you're coming early season then bring the rock skis.
snow conditions
stevej,
Out of the closet at last? Wrong user name though, thought you'd be mr fafferson? Twisted Evil snowHead
latest report
PhillipStanton, is Georgio your long lost twin??? wink

stuarth, Laughing How can we lure Mr F out to make another post? Puzzled
snow report
Further to my post up there ^^^ somewhere...
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=215756
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=96740
snow report
ashton parker - some recommendations are here - more to follow Smile
snow conditions
[quote= PhillipStantonThere's snow in them there hills...
...no, honest, there is.

I can tell you that because I saw it arrive by both helicopter and truck when we popped up to Avoriaz this afternoon. Avoriaz are farming snow somewhere and trucking / flying it in.

To be fair, they look to have done a sterling job of sorting out the pistes above Avoriaz and it looks like they'll open on Saturday as planned.

quote]

Great news! We are considering skiing in Avoriaz this weekend, other best bet looking like Les Contamines. Have you ever done the testing day in Avoriaz? I really enjoyed the ski testing at the Mondial in LDA so hoping for more of the same......
snow report
We did the ski test in Morzine last year Roger C (Avoriaz had the board test) and it was excellent. Most of the manufacturers were there, with a good range of skis and lengths. You could take any ski out for up to an hour in exchange for a credit card or passport - and you even got a free lift ticket.

Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton that sounds great - just hope there's enough snow to test the skis on..........
latest report
PhillipStanton, this continual change of thread title is confusing me Puzzled .
Happy non-birthday!

Edit for typo
ski holidays
Thanks Phillip and Andy, looking forward to some tip sand reviews
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy