Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski blades?????

Poster: A snowHead
i have been ski-ing for about 8 years now and had one day snowboarding(not for me Puzzled )
i am thinking of buying some blades can anyone give me any tips or what thay are like etc thanks Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, my views on blades, for what they're worth.

They're short, so when you first put them on, if you're like 99% of us you'll realise that your "normal stance" was maybe a tad "off centre" and the darn things will wobble all over the place. I find a couple of blue runs allows me to find the "right spot" to stand and everything settles down.

There seem to be 3 types of bladers - 2 of which are familiar from the skiing world, i.e. 1) those who swish essentially flat planks from side to side in what I call "windscreen wiper" turns. Blades are wasted on these folk. 2) those who can carve their skis will find that blades are amazing carving tools, great fun on piste and in moguls but beware of deeper snow unless you are a type 3) - these are kids who have come from a "street" background on rollerblades and other odd devices. They can do amazing things on blades - somersaults etc. and riding the steep and deep by sitting on the tails and going straight down; it's skiing Jim, but not as we know it.

I think blades are great fun and often take them out on rocky days when I don't want to trash my skis. But there are other points of view......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase2472, if you're going to get blades, please do not go into the deep even if you are from a "street" background - it's not amazing, it's stupid.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd recommend spending the extra on releasable bindings. The non-releasable ones have some horror stories attached to them with not releasing and snapping legs in very painful ways. Other than that, go for it Smile They're great fun, though it's the 3's that give snowbladers a bad name so try and avoid being one of those Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with Yoda on point 2 - that's how I use them. I've taken mine off-piste (K2 Big Air), and they're not too bad in European snow, but I think the dry, small stuff we had in Canadialand last season would have left me up to my knees, stranded like a beached ginger whale.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the upside, blades are short, so they are very easy to control. On the downside, they make you look like a loser.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, why's that then?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jase2472, I've just come back from a morning blading so while its fresh in my mind I'll let you know what I think. Blades are a great for helping skiing technique in that you have to be much more balanced than on skis. Transfering back to skis after blading always gives me a huge confidence boost. Because of the size they are very sensitive to, for example, bumps and can feel incredabley unstable if you are not in the right position. They are easier to learn on but to perfect a good technique it is more difficult than skiing because long skis are more forgiving. That is why you see many bladers going too fast and out of control. I'd just add that I'm 98 per cent skier, 1 per cent blader and 1 per cent don't know!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-12-06 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
On the upside, blades are short, so they are very easy to control. On the downside, they make you look like a loser.

Does it matter as long as you are enjoying yourself?!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not all blades are crap in the deeper snow, my blades/skiboards will be great. dont listen to the haters mocking bladers, they are just being stupid. why would someone be a loser for being on blades??? please tell
i never understand why anyone will mock people for doing something different, at the end of the day we are sliding around on frozen water, does it matter which hardware is attached to our feet. as long as your having fun and smiling then its all good, wether that be skis/board/blades.
huge fun factor on blades/skiboards which i simply did not get anymore from skis. have a look around before you buy, lots more to choose from than salomon. i have summit custom 110's, and these are a real all mountain blade/skiboard, have also opted for non-release bindings
graeme Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
please have a look at www.skiboards.com before you purchase/hire some blades, so much more to blades/skiboards than what salomon sell
graeme
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyweljenkins wrote:
Whitegold, why's that then?

They look rubbish on anyone over the age of about 14. They are pretend skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, little bit narrow minded there how did you arrive at the age 14 cut off, did you ask every blader there age???
graeme rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toiletduckuk wrote:
I'd recommend spending the extra on releasable bindings. The non-releasable ones have some horror stories attached to them with not releasing and snapping legs in very painful ways. Other than that, go for it Smile They're great fun, though it's the 3's that give snowbladers a bad name so try and avoid being one of those Smile

not a chance of that mate snowHead cheers for that advice will be taking me skis as well just in case i can't master them Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme wrote:
Whitegold, little bit narrow minded there how did you arrive at the age 14 cut off, did you ask every blader there age???
graeme rolling eyes

Au contraire, it is very perceptive. No grown adult should be seen on blades. They are the Alpine equivalent of a Fiat Panda.
latest report
Whitegold, why do you say that? where does it say what someone should use on the slopes?? its all abut having fun, why should it matter what form that takes???
graeme
latest report
graeme wrote:
Whitegold, why do you say that? where does it say what someone should use on the slopes?? its all abut having fun, why should it matter what form that takes???
graeme

I'm not stopping anyone using blades.
ski holidays
and i never said you tried to....lol. i am just curious as to why you would label someone a loser, cause they choose to do something different to you.
graeme
latest report
graeme, I recall that Whitegold, on another thread, said that people who go to work in the Alps are typically losers, so I don't think it's worth wasting much breath on that opinion! As a 60 year old who uses skis of a variety of lengths and breadths, blades and a snowboard, I can't even bear to think what he (I'm quite sure he's male) would think of me! We have the old style blades that don't release but I think it's dead right to suggest that the ones with conventional bindings are far safer. That's what I'd buy if I replaced ours, which date from the very first year Salomon produced them. They have been over lots of rocks and crud (on my kids' feet, not mine) but they're still going strong. My daughter can yomp down cruddy off piste on them, no problem, but I stick to the piste. However, it might also be worth considering getting a pair of the new short skis - we have Decathlon Wedze skis, but I think Salomon make them too. I suspect they are more versatile than blades - they feel far more like ordinary skis, with none of that wobbling around which you get on blades. As well as having to have your weight forward on blades, you also need to have them on their edges; they are built to carve.
snow conditions
spend a little more and get a pair of race carving slaloms in a shorter length 155's or so. They're more versatile, albeit not great on deeper stuff but much better than skiblades. Also, skiblades with non releasable bindings = high occurence of spiral fractures of the tib/fib. If you're not going to go to the terrain park or the halfpipe, slaloms will give you the super carving you are looking for. Bottom line, if you're looking at skiblades as a shortcut to carving, there are better alrernatives (easiest is taking a lesson with a good instructor/ ski school). There seem to be more cons than pros to skiblades......
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
not all blades are crap in the deeper snow, my blades/skiboards will be great. dont listen to the haters mocking bladers, they are just being stupid. why would someone be a loser for being on blades??? please tell
i never understand why anyone will mock people for doing something different, at the end of the day we are sliding around on frozen water, does it matter which hardware is attached to our feet. as long as your having fun and smiling then its all good, wether that be skis/board/blades.
huge fun factor on blades/skiboards which i simply did not get anymore from skis. have a look around before you buy, lots more to choose from than salomon. i have summit custom 110's, and these are a real all mountain blade/skiboard, have also opted for non-release bindings
graeme Very Happy

I'd like to see you go down an icy new england run on those.....and if you make it, madd respect for your balance skills.....

There is no such thing as all mountain, it's more like all mountain compromise
ski holidays
Quote:

No grown adult should be seen on blades. They are the Alpine equivalent of a Fiat Panda.

If you care to open your eyes a bit, you will see hordes of Alpine locals driving 4x4 Fiat Pandas, both old and new models - they are cheap and economical, and they knock spots off other 4x4s in snowy conditions.

Blades, on the other hand, are pants. But that's another conversation altogether.
ski holidays
Quote:

you will see hordes of Alpine locals driving 4x4 Fiat Pandas, both old and new models

yep, half the builders on our site seemed to be in ancient 4 x 4 pandas, and our local restaurateur goes in his every morning, whatever the weather, to pick up his baguettes, stopping only to brush the worst of the overnight snowfall off the windscreen. So the "Alpine equivalent of a Fiat Panda" would seem to be just the ticket.
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
and i never said you tried to....lol. i am just curious as to why you would label someone a loser, cause they choose to do something different to you.
graeme

If you think grown adults thrashing about on tiny pretend skis is for winners, then you've got issues!
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

No grown adult should be seen on blades. They are the Alpine equivalent of a Fiat Panda.

If you care to open your eyes a bit, you will see hordes of Alpine locals driving 4x4 Fiat Pandas, both old and new models - they are cheap and economical, and they knock spots off other 4x4s in snowy conditions.

Blades, on the other hand, are pants. But that's another conversation altogether.

Yes, I chuckle every time I see some loser drive by in a Fiat tincan.
snow report
Clearly it's the bladers with issues here Whitegold, not you rolling eyes
snow conditions
Whitegold, they chortle even more as they trundle casually past BMW drivers stuck in two centimetres of snow.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Whitegold, they chortle even more as they trundle casually past BMW drivers stuck in two centimetres of snow.

Fair comment. BMW drivers are losers, too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do not feed the troll. rolling eyes
snow report
Whitegold, just interested, what do you drive and what skis do you use? Puzzled
snow conditions
I ski, board and blade. Have now got salomon pros which are a lot wider than normal blades allowing me to play off piste. No need to carry poles, great fun in the park and easier to carry when travelling. Not as forgiving as ski's but more fun because of that.
Why can't folk just get on with doing what they like without other people judging them. If everybody liked the same thing the world would be a very boring place.
snow report
bute13, people love to feel superior to others. See Whitegold as exhibition A Wink
ski holidays
chris, I think it's quite clear that he uses these in the largest size available, and he carries them on his shoulder Laughing
ski holidays
jase2472
Don't listen to Whitegold - absolute rubbish - blades are brilliant fun at any age, so who cares what some primadonna of the piste reckons. Makwendo has a good point though - make sure you get proper bindings, the others tend to loosen off and bring unwanted surprises.
snow report
Quote:

unwanted surprises.

.................. like a leg fractured in multiple places including the upper end of the femur. No idea how the young man in question managed that, but he certainly had a very uncomfortable week in resort before we could ship him home.
snow report
I don't disagree that the non-releasable bindings are killers, but keep in mind new blades come with releasable bindings (at least salomons do) Smile
snow report
i still prefer non release bindings. whole other world out there apart from blades/salomon. i did buy a set of salomon 99cm with release bindings, plus a set of atomic etl 123 with release, but sold both sets before i even had a chance to use them.
graeme
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy