Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - advice on resort and apartment hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi folks.

in my extensive ski and snow research for our first "virgin" ski trip next february 3rd for a week, have come across an apartment in Les Arcs.

It is an apartment with bunk beds for 2 that is priced around €400 which has a kitchen and nearby supermarket. It claims to have skiing v ery closeby.

Is this Les Arcs resort suitable for absolute beginners whom will need plenty of ski school (in English)?

I understand airport to fly into is Lyon. Is it easy to get to resort from airport? Also, if anyone knows of direct flights from Manchester, much appreciated if you can tell me the airline recommended.

Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-12-06 18:52; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cersei, perhaps you could clarify exactly where you mean. Les Arcs (there is a part of the resort called Arc 2000) or Les Deux Alpes? We have experts on both on this forum (not me) but they are different resorts not that close to each other. (Both good places, though). If you search on skyscanner.co.uk you can easily identify flights available By "virgin" ski trip, do you mean your first ski holiday, or your first DIY (i.e non package) holiday? If the former, then it might be easier for you to look at a package; there's enough to think about when you start skiing without having to worry about airport transfers. Good week to choose, by the way - before the French school holidays start, probably the best bet of the year in terms of snow/crowds likelihood. You should be able to get a small apartment just about anywhere for that kind of money, that week. You must be an excited snowHead if you are planning at 2 am!

The big resorts will all be able to offer you ski lessons in English but there's a big difference between different schools. Have a look at the thread about why British ski schools are so expensive. If you go to Les Deux Alpes you might be able to book lessons with the excellent easiski, but she is probably a bit booked up so no time to lose. You won't do better for instruction, and she charges extremely reasonable rates for private lessons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cersei, If you mean Les Deux Alpes, send me a PM with more info on the apartment ans I can advise. If you mean Les Arcs, then I can't help you. If you check out the Easiski specials page on my website you will find some apartments owned by other Snowheads which might be free. there's also one that isn't listed that I can tell you about, but not in public!

Send me a PM.. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Blair, Major or Thatcher?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bh1, I rather think I'd prefer Harold wilson! Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, or Harold MacMillan? Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, hi. it is Les Arcs. Indeed completely new to skiing. Am considering packages but just checking to see if some DIY are cheaper.

easiski, I sent you a pm as I do not mind checking out Les Deux Alpes either Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cersei, the title of the thread actually says 2 Alpes, so you should change it, so that the people who know Les Arcs look at it. However, I don't know how to do that! Embarassed Maybe easier to start a new one. There is at least one Snowhead with an apartment in Les Arcs - with a snowhead discount available, and lots of local advice and knowledge. However, if it was possible for you to book some lessons with Charlotte (easiski) it would be well worth considering going to Deux Alpes (otherwise, I suspect Les Arcs would be better, depending on what part of the resort you stayed in and how important it was to you to have doorstep skiing. In 2Alpes you would probably need to walk a short way to the lift and go up and down in a lift, as skiing right back to the bottom is a bit tricky). The quality of tuition is probably the single most important factor which will either launch you on a lifetime of expensive ski holidays or put you off the whole thing. But I'm sure there are good lessons available in Les Arcs too. Hopefully there will be plenty of snow by the beginning of February, but if it is still a bit scarce, Les Deux Alpes would be excellent, as they have a lot of very high altitude skiing.

I think you should consider a package, especially if you don't speak enough French to get by. You can cope without either any experience of ski holidays or cheap flights or any French - but coping without the lot is a bit difficult. Airport to resort transfers are the trickiest bit - and never cheap. Don't forget really good insurance which covers skiing. There should be some good last minute package deals available, but that tends not to sit well with arranging tuition in advance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cersei, if going to Les Arcs, New Generation are a good ski school http://www.skinewgen.com/vallandry/index.asp , based in Vallandry. John Thomas, who runs the school, took me on a week's course last week in Tignes. Excellent tuition. Send them an email to see if you will be based near where they operate in Les Arcs.

If you're a first-timer to skiing I'd go the package option initially. You don't have to worry about lift passes, ski hire, transfers etc. Lots of tour operators go to Les Arcs & I'd say that is a good area to start to ski, with mostly ski in ski out properties, good nursery slopes and easy blues to progress to.

Enjoy wherever you go! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PS - you can change the title of your thread by just editing your first post. You'd be best to change it to Les Arcs to get better responses.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cersei, GOt your PM but I htink the advice will be better here as then it;s accessible to everyone/

If you;re a beginner, then I@d suggest a package would be a mich better Idea than DIY. DIY is great once you know the ropes about sorting lift pasees, hire gear, getting to ski school meeting places, travelling around etc, and allows you more flexibility - but for a first timer, the convenience of having most of it sorted for you is undoubtedly a lot easier.

I;d recommend having a look at equity holidays

http://www.equity.co.uk

they do "all-in" holidays where the price inclides flights, transfers, half-board accomodation, lift pass, ski hire, lessons and insurance. all you need to pay for is lunch and beer
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, cathy and nbt, thanks for all the advice

Have changed title (I think!). based on all the consistent advice for beginner to go with package, we are now very likely to do that. Thanks for all the info!

Everyone here has been so friendly and helpful, I suspect skiing and being regular here will become something in my future Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cersei, you will find it difficult to leave here I'm sure. snowHead If you have any other queries just fire away - someone will know the answer! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi cersei. Last year a large number of our gang were beginners/inexperienced at Les Arcs for the first time, they all enjoyed it immensely. If there are a few of you then ski school where you do a mornings lessons and then play round all afternoon after lunch may be the best plan, but to be honest (IMHO) after a few days the added teaching time devoted to a smaller group pays dividends. It is a fantastic place - I'll be there in the forst week in Feb myself - keep a lookout for a snowHeads hat snowHead

I've done both package and DIY trips to that resort - both cost the same usually - but the package is a lot less hassle if flights are delayed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh - Geneva is very handy for Les Arcs, there is even a bus to the town below the resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy