Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Popping my off piste cherry. . .

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to La Plagne for a week mid January with a group of friends, can't come quick enough, and planning to venture off piste for the first time. I've got a couple of weeks under my belt (Meribel and St Anton) and am comfortable on blues and reds, can get down blacks when I have to! Was wondering if anyones got any tips/suggestions? I've heard that the the technique for riding on powder is slightly different so is it worth getting some off piste lessons in before I go off with my mates? Going to invest in a helmet this year but is there any other equipment worth buying?

All my mates are skiers so they can't really help me. . .

Any comments appreciated, cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
seriously off-piste or the bits 'tween the runs? If you're heading into areas that are not visible from the patrolled area you need to get avalanche awareness training that includes use of the basic kit of probe, shovel and transceiver (add water, thermal blanket, torch, map, compass and some spare clothes). A lot of people were killed last year, if you don't want to join them undertake a week of training before striking out under your own steam.

</public service broadcast>

If you're just playing in the powder next to the piste, knock your bindings back an inch and don't have a wide stance, you need to be able to move your mass over the board without contorting yourself. You will with time, learn to keep your mass forward of the centre . . . keeping steering control and still be able to exert back foot pressure to ride the wave. Another thing, remember that powder is a natural brake you will not be as fast as on the same piste gradient so don't panic and lean back or the board will plane up out of the powder and you'll fall. . . have fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perrin, please excuse Masques rudeness rolling eyes

Welcome to snowHead

wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perrin, Embarassed OOO! sorry, I didn't look at your post count, deeply shamed. Welcome to slushnuts and I'm a boorish smartarse . . . who's angling for a spanking from Michelle . . . hurt me 'nice' this time?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque wrote:
...this time...

Masque, what was wrong with last time Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Michelle, you left marks and the cocoa butter isn't helping Confused

Putting this back on track, just a little . . . be careful. That early in the season there may not be much snowdepth and that undulating field of virgin powder can hide a multitude of nasties. You're going to be boarding outside your comfort envelope and you should think about back, butt and wrist protectors, powder's soft, the crap under it will hurt you. That's probably why you should think of locating a course that includes backcountry skills, it will take you to where you can slash around and gain riding skills without unnecessary risk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perrin..................

Riding off piste and riding powder are two completely different things.

Early season can be dangerous (off piste), later not so.

Get a hat, and a back protector, if you're serious.

The rest mends.

Enjoy it , but above all else, stay within your limits.

John.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How bout getting a Guide... ESF provide them??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice, and the warm welcome! Think that this time round I'll stick to the bits between the runs, and maybe look at the courses available with some back country skills. . Planning another trip in late March so might be best just to get another week on the slopes under my belt before getting too adventurous, nearly thirty now and don't bounce as well as I used to!

March trip is going to be as cheap as possible, pretty much decided on Bansko but if anyone has any opinions either way they'd be gratefully received. . .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perrin, wait till you hit 50, you don't bounce so much as 'smear' Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy