Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Snow report Winter 2006/7

Poster: A snowHead
Just Got back from a long weekend in Tignes and the weather was glorious (although I burnt a bit wearing factor 50) I was just skiing in a thermal long sleeve top, not a cloud in the sky. Snow conditions were great and even the run down to Les Brev were fine as I finished the days with a run down after last lifts.

Stuart was teaching my family just under the Aeroski when I think one of the cars hit the entrance as there was an almighty bang. It shut down instantly but the cars were jumping around on the wire like a yo-yo's for a good 30 seconds, I was glad I was not in them!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="Mrs W"]

Quote:
I haven't seen any marmots yet, but they must be coming out of hibernation soon, especially as the weather is so nice and warm Very Happy

Saw my first marmots of the season this morning under the palafour lift about 9.15am Blush

You obviously need to get out of bed earlier to catch the wildlife Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Managed to meet up with Stewart again yesterday for a few hours skiing Very Happy
We skied the bumps from Toviere down towards the bottom of the Tommeuses lift several times. The snow was very soft with bumps everywhere - but I find skiing bumps easier when the snow's soft. Madeye-Smiley Hard work on the legs though rolling eyes

Still haven't seen any marmots. My main concern is I may run out of suntan cream Cool rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The World Cup freeride final is being held in Tignes this week. I saw some of the action yesterday from the Tufs lift. You may like to look at some of the photos on the website http://www.tignes.net/evenements.html

Note: must get some batteries for the camera. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrs W, crikey - those photos are a bit scary! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Mission: not only to see a marmot but to take a photo of one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="cathy"]

Quote:
Mission: not only to see a marmot but to take a photo of one Toofy Grin

Your wish is my command NehNeh

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do Marmots have big fluffy tails? Saw something diving into a tree on a lift last week that looked too big to be a squirrel, with a bushy tail!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now not doubting your photographic skills for one moment stewart wink but I reckon that 'photo' may be a bit suspect NehNeh NehNeh

kitenski - your lifts had trees on them?? Wow! Is that the resort's effort to halt global warming or to lessen the environmental & visual impact of the lift system? Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="cathy"]
Quote:
Now not doubting your photographic skills for one moment stewart wink but I reckon that 'photo' may be a bit suspect NehNeh NehNeh

OK must own up i superimpossed the grass & other plants as we are still covered in SNOW here in Tignes Laughing Laughing

PS

As i have managed to pinch the laptop of Mrs W the snow is still good despite the high temperatures. A little slushy low down in the afternoons but great on Grand Motte and generally north facing slopes. Skied to Les Brevieres yesterday and the cover was good all the way down.
Have skied some pretty good off piste in the last couple of days. You just have to pick your time & place Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we spend the last week in Savoie, Wednesday & Thursday in Val Thorens, and Friday to monday (4days skiing) ) in Espace Killy. Wednesday bad conditions, no visibility and snowing... but the rest perfect days!!!! Thursday was a powder day, we repeated the Pierre Lory descent from Bouchet 4 times (with alternatives) and all catch powder, amazing....then at the afternoon nice snow in Cime Caron to Plan de L'Eau off-piste, finishing with real "firn" snow. For return to Orelle side (we stayed down to Maurienne valley) more firn. And we finished at five without touching any "prepared" run. Laughing Laughing

And the days in Tignes were also perfect, I like to ski in spring snow, specially in off piste (after powder of course) as you can ski wherever.... You only have to choose the slopes according to its orientation and the time, so we started with south and east faces and in the afternoon north and west...Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If I remember correctly, we did some laps in Cugnai, The Face du charvet, La Banane, Danaides variations (we did 3 different variations to the L run), all palet side (it's amazing as you can ski fast in spring snow in all side doing GS turns, jumps in variations of steepness,etc.. we finished 2 days with the last descent here until the bus stop between the lac and val claret after the lifts was closed, and took the same bus driver Embarassed , the second day he looked at us with a big smile rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing ), some amazing descents in Marmottes (or solaise couloirs between the "Super S" and Manchet lift), lavachet wall, vallons de la sache, and we wanted to do some Chardonnet Couloirs but there were the "pros" recognizing the place (freeride wolrd cup) so respect!!! Another time...And finally we also did some of the easiest Trolles couloirs (or also called tufs fingers), and adding a little ones next to the runs in Aiguille perceé .......... SO amazing days, l'Espace Killy, in my opinion it have some of the best lift accessed freeride in the Alps.

And is always surprisingly how the Haute Tarentaise holds better the snow than the rest of the places in Savoie. In Les Brevieres there are lots of snow and you can ski la Sache perfectly and for example in Les Trois Vallées or Paradiski at same height you only found grass.

Every time that I return to the Espace Killy I enjoy it more and more.....In Spain the tuesday (May 1st) is holiday, maybe if the snow conditions will be ok for off-piste I'll return........ I think I fall in love.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed jaja!!!

PD. I'll post photos......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The end of another great weeks skiing in the Espace Killy;

Highlights - Sunshine, uncrowded pistes, sighting of first Marmotes of season & good clients Little Angel

- Lots of snow left though for the remaining weeks of the season Very Happy

Lows - The warm temperatures mean the snow is melting & spring is coming Sad

- Unfortunatly an 18year old Swiss skier had a fatal accident in the World Freeride competition on Wednesday
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm very tempted to go back out. A week in the DIva for under £240 each with flights via Chambery. If we hadn;t just moved house I'd have been in there like flynn
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today started out cloudy, but that soon changed to blue skies and lots & lots of sunshine Very Happy Very Happy

No doubt about it - spring is here Sad

A good time to follow the sun - start with lowish and south facing slopes, and finish with high and north facing slopes. Ok I know you have to come back down sometime, but I recommend skiing through lunch and having a late luch on a sunny balcony or terrace. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

There aren't alot of people about, and no queues. Very Happy

The snow is holding up very well, i didn't see any bare patches on the pistes. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must agree, conditions brilliant, and the marmots chirping awway ... snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I posted a report with lots of photos and some videos of the week in a Catalan forum (Sorry for not repeat here and translating, but I think that the photos can speak "alone").

The link:
http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?foroid=495990&temaid=6372976
ski holidays
ALtom,

A lovely set of pics. The first pics, with the huge off piste runs with very few tracks, whereabout is that?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Sorry for not explaining, I said in the post above....the first two days we skied Val Thorens, and this descent is the "Pierre Lory", at the top of TS Bouchet (3230m) is the bakcside in front of the arriving, you ski until the bouchet "glacier" and then all the valley (no pistes there) until the lifts (the main zone of Orelle side at 2300m)
snow report
Another great day Very Happy Went skiing with friends and started earlier - 9.30. Perfect weather - blue skies, sunshine & very warm. Very Happy
Went up the aeroski lift which was back in action since last Thursday. The snow changes very quickly from firm to suggary. There are some bare patches appearing now on low, south facing slopes, but they are easy to ski around.

Finished with lunch on a sunny terrace Madeye-Smiley Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Will be out there saterday Very Happy snowHead .. is there any fresh snow forcast ........
latest report
pistenbully wrote:
Will be out there saterday Very Happy snowHead .. is there any fresh snow forcast ........

Last snow was on 4th April. There is no snow forecast, but some forecasts have light rain for later this week. We've had lots of snow at the end of the season for the last 5 years so you never know..... Puzzled

The pistes are in great condition so you should have a good time snowHead
snow conditions
OK I'll say it again - another great day Very Happy

Still great weather, good snow & piste conditions, and no queues. Toofy Grin

The temperatures been warm the last week or so, and they have now closed off the lake to pedestrians. The snow is disappearing fast in south facing locations around the village.

I'm hoping snow-forecast.com have it wrong again, as they are predicting light rain for tomorrow Puzzled Sad Time will tell Confused Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
The forecsat rain didn't happen Toofy Grin

Yesterday and today have been warm and very sunny. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Spring freeze/thaw conditions, snow conditions excellent in morning up to 2 ish, when it gets heavy.
Not many people about & next week should be even quieter, as most TO finish this weekend and the staff leave.

Another late lunch on a sunny terrace - its a hard life but what can you do Puzzled wink Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I hope it continue's like this !
Arrive myself next sat 28th April for a few days with my guide.
Spoke to him Yesterday evening and he said he wouldnt rule out a bit of fresh snow maybe next week 25th /26th, hope so . (Wishfull thinking me thinks)

Regards Mark

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 21-04-07 8:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
there tomorow Very Happy snowHead
snow report
I'm still toying with the idea of going there for the Mayday w/e. I went there at May day last year & had a brilliant time, so I'm keeping my eye on the weather.
ski holidays
Bl--dy hell its rather hot Blush Blush

Great sunny days, high temperatures, lots of sun tan cream but still lots of great skiing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Its the time of year to carefully plan your route, play spot the Marmotes from every lift, and say hellow to all the lifties as they see so few people Little Angel Little Angel

Took the aeroski first thing and had a quick blast down Creux before skiing the Paquetts & Trolles bumps. Back up the aeroski and down piste H working on rotation skills for more bumps on the Grand Motte. Down double M & back up the Tufs lift to ski the Tommuses bumps again. A final fling back down the Paquetts & Trolles for lunch at the Chalet du Pain Blush

The afternoon was a little more sedate, but not much, which was spent mainly on the Grand Motte where there were no queues for the cable car.

More of the same is planned for the next couple of days and hopefully a little snow on Thursday Puzzled
snow report
I was in val / tignes last week & week before. Great spring conditions, sunny and warm. Managed to ski pisteurs colouir off Mont Charvet, good snow, loads easier than it looks from below. The aeroski was broke down for a few days, got a few pics of the ski patrol checking for stranded skiers, I read that over 100 had to be rescued. Considering the very warm temps the snow was holding up very well, normally froze overnight, so great skiing in the mornings, but a tad too soft later on in the days.

Rescue on Aeroski 1

Rescue on Aeroski 2

Looking down pisteurs

Pisteurs from a distance.

And finally my son's first day on skis, aged 13 months.[/img]
latest report
waynos, how much walking / climbing is involved to get to that coluoir - I assume it's looking over the start of Santons / Epaulet Charvet? (Respect Shocked )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew, It's a simple 20 mins walk from the top of grande pre chair. You've got the location dead right, you can see the drag and chair (cold fountain) in the photo looking down. Did do it with a guide, though the route finding is obvious, need to be sure of snow conditions in terms of how easy to ski on and snow stability. It's north facing, so the snow was in good condition despite the very warm spring conditions, we did it late morning. As I said before it not as steep as it looks once your in, max 45degrees then probably 40degrees for the main part, but then again steep enough if the snow turns out to be crud. It didn't feel to exposed once in, biggest worry was other skiers in the group missing a turn a sliding into me. Did a variation on tour de charvet before this and that felt far more exposed, ie traversing in crud spring snow above cliff band, didn't like that, I've the little fella to think about nowadays.
snow conditions
waynos, thanks for the info 45 degs a bit steep for me!
snow report
Some very light snow showers on the Grand Motte this afternoon but thankfully no rain so high up Very Happy The temperatures this morning were 13 deg C at the cable car at 10.30 and no obvious signs of overnight freezing Sad

I spent most of the day on the glacier, lunch in the Aspen, and the snow was in pretty good condition through out the day.
Lots of good runs both on & off piste varying from high speed carving, to steeps, to slushy bumps Very Happy

Be warned if you are going to ski offpiste on the glacier take a guide as there are some cravaces visable.
latest report
Cool,leave uk tomorrow for last week of season Blush

Regards Mark
latest report
Just got back from another lunch on a sunny terrace Very Happy Toofy Grin

I managed 4 days skiing this week Toofy Grin its been hot and the snow is disappearing fast around the resort and at the bottom of the lower runs. I hear Brevieres closed the other day.

I skied with friends on Wednesday, and went over to Val D for lunch ( on a very hot & sunny terrace), after a run down the Face Cool . The run was getting very narrow in places as the snow is melting rolling eyes . Found some good skiing in the Tignes / Val D bowl, but the snow conditions did get very heavy mid/late afternoon on the run back into Tignes Val Claret - lots of puddles appearing at the bottom of the piste Shocked .

Skied high today, went up the grande motte. Spring conditions - it must have been abit colder overnight. The pistes are in excellent condition, no queues for the cable car (or any lifts) and hardly anybody on the pistes. Very Happy

Another week to go before the resort closes Sad Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Parties, Parties, Parties Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel

Yes its that time of the season, closing parties, BBQ's & saying goodbye to friends new & old. Having great difficulty fitting in all the social functions Little Angel but just managing it Laughing Laughing

The skiing high up is still pretty good but you have to be carefull with your timing to get the best snow.

Snow forecast for this week so looking forward to end of season POWDER Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Its SNOWING Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very heavy at the moment.

Sorry not got long need to sort my skis & get out there in the POWDER Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
stewart woodward, sounds great - hope you have fun Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Its SNOWING Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very heavy at the moment.

Sorry not got long need to sort my skis & get out there in the POWDER Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Now that's just not fair! Have a great day snowHead
ski holidays
Stewart's gone skiing so I've finally managed to get the laptop back wink

Winter has come back. We've got the biggest , fatest snowflakes I've seen all season. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin All the green grass, footpaths & roads are covered and the snowploughs are out.

We went to the closing party at the Loop on Friday night, good music, fancy dress and drinks at 1 euro Madeye-Smiley
Saturday was the ESF Val Claret end of season BBQ on the Fish Tank terrace - very warm and sunny Cool

On Monday I went to a hen party. It was also the closing party at the Follie Douce & we had lunch on the terrace at the Fruitiere, lots of loud music and dancing on chairs & tables, then had drinks in Val D followed by champagne night in the Alpaka Cool

I think we're running out of closing parties Sad but it looks like we will have the usual end of season powder to ski Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mrs W wrote:
I think we're running out of closing parties Sad but it looks like we will have the usual end of season powder to ski Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

And I hope you enjoy it. Thanks very much to you and Stewart for the snow reports this season, and for lots of lovely photos. It helps to keep my urges at bay in between trips to the Tarentaise Smile
latest report
Better than bromide Rob? wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy