Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you looking for snow now?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Everyone is searching for snow, Winterhighland hit a peak of usage in November that was busier than in March and April. Pre Christmas was considered pre-season until recently in the Alps, Jan used to be considered early season in Scotland.

So why is everyone looking for snow so early (people were looking and expecting in November, and some even in October), then they start talking about writing winter off before it's even officially started (21st Dec).

Anyway my point is, where are all the autumn armchair skiers in March, April and even May??? Puzzled

^Looking up a deserted CairnGorm Mountain on Sun 9th April 2006
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's fighting talk. Wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Winterhighland, I think you might be preaching to the converted here. A load of this forum are heading for Val Thorens in the last week of April.

My best 3 days of last season were all in April : in Switzerland, on Cairngorm and the Nevis back coire Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winterhighland, heheh much like that austria ski report on here where the locals were looking on bemused at tourists so early
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
before it's even officially started (21st Dec).

1st December in met terms, 21st in astronomical. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterhighland wrote:
E

^Looking up a deserted CairnGorm Mountain on Sun 9th April 2006

what is that awful thing in the middle ? an oil pipeline or something
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn't it a funicular track, or was your question rhetorical?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone tried jumping it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
what is that awful thing in the middle ? an oil pipeline or something

LOL, funicular track - not the most popular feature of Cairngorm for some but others love it - it does look rather like a pipeline in that shot it has to be said!

Anyway, it's a fair point Winterhighland's making - some people here are making a right song and dance about so called lack of snow (just look at the Snow Reports area of the forum) when there's already skiing in many places in Europe (including Cairngorm last weekend and 2 weeks before IIRC). To be honest at this time of year it's a gamble and as far as I can remember has always been, whereas often there are great conditions in April and into May but many people seem to loose interest after Easter. For example tour operators stop offering holidays and some flights close down for the summer (Easyjet from Bristol to Grenoble being an example).

I always remember some of the best days on the Gorm being in April and some years May but many of the punters don't bother, seems odd to me! Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it's simply a question of it being six months or more since we felt the white stuff hissing away beneath our feet (visits to the fridge aside). We miss it!

Also it seems to me that an Easter week skiing might now be considered a safe bet... and a bit cheaper than the horrendous amount you pay for half-term! Mind you, it would be closer to the EoSB, and that means I might not be allowed both.... hmmm
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky wrote:
Quote:

Not really - the Met Office use that because humans find it easier to work with full months! Certainly in this neck of the woods 21st Dec to 21st March is a better fit, you really can't consider early Dec part of winter - its traditionally one of the mildest periods of the second half of autumn.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Winterhighland wrote:
skanky wrote:
Quote:

Not really - the Met Office use that because humans find it easier to work with full months! Certainly in this neck of the woods 21st Dec to 21st March is a better fit, you really can't consider early Dec part of winter - its traditionally one of the mildest periods of the second half of autumn.

The MetO define it as 1st Dec because the WMO do, which makes it a global meteorological definition. Winter solstice (21st Dec.) used to be considered the middle day in winter, with Nov 1st being the first day of winter. All definitions make sense from their own point of view. The shortest day being in the middle of the period of shortest days in general and maximum solar deficit (more heat lost in drakness than gained during the day) being offset by the SST lag for meteorological which otherwise would seem to make the least sense.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy