Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calais to Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys / Girls,

Has anyone drove the 'stint' from Calais to Les Menuires (Trois Vallées Area)?
Doing the journey @ the end of December and need a bit of advice on best route from Calais and any decent stop areas on the way, and also how long did it take.

Cheers
Ted.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't driven that route, but I've done Calais - Tignes, which isn't a million miles away, and to other destinations in the general area in the summer. I prefer the Reims - Troyes - Dijon route rather than the route via Paris which many route planners recommend. We tend to go across the channel in the evening, stay a couple of hours from the coast and then do the bulk of the driving the following day, in which case it's an easy if dull day's drive to arrive late afternoon/early evening in your resort.

BTW when I say 'via', I mean past, not through (obviously).

For stopping, most (but not all) French m'way services are pretty good for grub. Are you looking for an overnighter? If so, after how much driving?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-12-06 14:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
8 hours Calais to Courchevel, les M should be comparable. Take the motorway via Reims, Dijon (and around) Lyon, then to Albertville. We don't stop on the way down (take early tunnel) but do stop in Burgundy on the way back and take the opportunity of a spot of sampling!
ARe you going for the races?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi yes, son is racing first time in the BARSC.
We're also doing the Eurotunnel early hours Sat morning.
Thanks for the direction tips!
Are you taking snow chains?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anthony81077, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I've done it once, but went via Switzerland.....so I'll not give you any suggestions!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
anthony81077, I use the Calais - Rheims - Troyes route. I would say that to do it in 8 hours you'd have to strike very lucky, especially once past Albertville. If you don't have chains and it's snowing when you hit the run up from Moutiers you won't exactly be the Gendarmes' favourite person. Chains are obligatory.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes you must take chains.

son (11) also racing - see you there. I am just off now!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anthony81077, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

You might want to look at BMF_skier's report on his trip to Courchevel here, he drove Manchester-Courchevel but the trip to Les Menuires will be very similar.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I go Reims - Troyes - Dijon too, but last time then took the autoroute to Bourg-en-Bresse, past Lyon airport then Chambery & Albertville.

I always travel over in the evening then stop north of Reims. Petrol stops are at supermarkets in Reims and Albertville.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chains are a must, the first bit of road up from Moutiers is quite windy and narrow, but it opens out higher up. Keep an eye out for buses coming down above you in the hairpins - sudden manouvers not unknown.

As for stops - we have enjoyed meals in Chablis, Tournus, Beaune all of which are close to the Autoroute and nicer than the Autotoute stops themselves. There are Aires with loos every 10-15km or so. anthony81077, are you going through the nightor in daylight?

Fuel generally cheaper on the Calais side of the tunnel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Calais-Reims-Dijon and you can do that in 4 hours easily enough, if the weather is good you might want to head to Geneva but take the Annecy turn-off (N201) and cut through to Albertville- Mountier and then upto Les M. I would look at this personally as I hate the road down to Lyon, its endless and then to tack on Albertville moutier etc etc, that finishes me off.
I also think the roads from Albertiville onwards are where you shead time, so any sense of getting somewhere is soon lost, IMV.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for the Calais-Reims-Dijon-Lyon route

Used to take 8 hours at Easter weekend without problems, with family now take a couple of days. Would recommend a stop over and early start Sat to get to resorts mid-morning/lunchtime so you can get settled before all the bus transfers from airports arrive
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you might want to head to Geneva but take the Annecy turn-off (N201) and cut through to Albertville- Mountier and then upto Les M. I would look at this personally as I hate the road down to Lyon, its endless

I would support that, it seems to make the journey go quicker. Also yes, from Calais head to Dijon - I can't imagine why even the maddest route planner would travel Calais to Lyon via Paris??? The Calais motorway has a lot less traffic than the A6 between Paris and Dijon.

Personally, with a sensible amount of stops and some allowance for traffic, 12 hours from Calais to Les Menuires would be nearer the mark than 8.

Take chains. If there's one thing likely to make you encounter a blizzard, it's being without chains. Though on second thoughts..... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anthony
IMHO: from Calais via - Reims - Troyes - Dijon - Lyon - Chambery - Albertville - Moutiers - Resort........

I've seen some route planners attempt to send you towards Paris. Dont do it! Autoroute and tolls most of the way, If at peak times be prepared to have a lot of patience, they can be busy. To pay, take plenty of cash, or use a TelePeage tag.

Travelling early on a Saturday you should have good start to the journey, it's later when the roads can get congested. Dont under estimate the last 50 or 60 miles. Traffic, weather etc can have a major effect even though you are real close to the journeys end. Absolute minumum of 8 hours, can easily be 11 or 12. There are plenty of rest areas only the route, but as with any Mway, they can be comparitively expensive. Depending on your car, you'll need at least 1 or 2 stops for fuel. I refill at supermarket in Calais, and final full-up near Chambery or Albertville. This gives me good 3/4 tank ready for the return journey.

Another vote for chains, only used mine once for about 30 mins, going up the hill from Moutiers, but I really needed them!
I agree with Boris's comments re the stopovers and early start, but then I have to travel from Manchester to Sth coast. That always seems to be a long journey, anywhere from 6 to 10 hrs in the past! Done the same route twice, same again in Jan 2007. 4 weeks, 1 day and 5 hrs from now! (not that i'm counting!) Very Happy

Good luck! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

To pay, take plenty of cash, or use a TelePeage tag

I find it far easier and quicker to handover a credit card than to use cash. Or you can stick a credit card in a machine. Gives you more choice of "windows" if the one with the little man in looks busy. Here you have the two preferences - longer journey, all autoroute (via Lyon) or shorter one with more off-motorway, via Annecy. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, really. Main problem is that will be a busy Saturday so BMF_Skier is dead right about the time needed for the last 60 miles or so. We are crossing 8pm that Saturday, aim to drive all night and get to resort on Sunday morning. If it's bad weather, fog on the motorway, we will have to stop overnight. But that is probably not an option if you're racing. Good luck.

Quote:

There are plenty of rest areas only the route, but as with any Mway, they can be comparitively expensive

for fuel, they are a bit, but for food and drinks very reasonable, far cheaper than ours. Usually have quite good "help yourself" salad bars, cheap as chips (and better for you) and delicious "pain aux raisins".
snow report
pam w wrote
Quote:
I find it far easier and quicker to handover a credit card than to use cash.

Even quicker with a Telepeage tag, drive up, barrier lifts and though you go. Also means you dont have to disturb your passenger at the toll gate. wink
snow report
Another vote for Reims-Dijon. Avoid going anywhere near Paris, especially if travelling on a Saturday during school hols. And the A6 Paris-Dijon stretch seems to go on forever
snow conditions
Wow, fantastic response - thanks everyone!!
Looks like Reims-Dijon-Chambery is the way to go!!
Looks like I need to invest in some Snowchains. Blush
latest report
driven Calais to Les Menuires a million times - 8 hours is my average. 12 hours door to door from Hertfordshire and exactly 701 miles. If you do go via Lyon, make sure you take directions for Rocade Est to go round it. (that's from memory, I hope it's right!!).
latest report
600 miles from Calais in 8hrs. nightshift, you drive too fast.
snow report
Quote:

Looks like I need to invest in some Snowchains.

yes, in theory, but the forecasts are pretty dry and they are expensive here. If I were you I think I would wait until getting down there and if the weather looks dodgy (hurrah!) stop in Albertville or somewhere in buy some in a French supermarket. Unless you have unusual tyre sizes. Yes, of course you should really have them before you start, but even if you eventually had to get them in resort they probably wouldn't be any more expensive than in UK. An alternative would be to try to buy them here on a "sale or return" basis. Our local ski shop does that - if unused, they refund 75% or something. I did that for a hired van full of furniture once. They cost £80 and we only needed them for a few hundred metres... and were too big for our car. I gave them away to a Snowhead!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman ViaMichelin gives time as 8h45m.
latest report
pam w, with respect, I don't think that's very good advice, based on my experience:-

Scenario 1:- Go to Val Thorens April 2 years ago. Pick up hired VW Touran at Geneva. Query no chains? with hire company, told it's OK, you have snow tyres sir.

Drive to VAl T and have 6 dry days. Wake up on leaving Saturday to heavy snow falling. Told at Car Park that the Police are not letting anyone without chains go down the mountain. Queue for 2 hrs at only garage in town that sells chains. Get to front of queue - sorry, we don't have that size.

Decide what the heck and give it a go anyway. Snow tyres prove superb and police don't seem to mind a "non slipping" vehicle. Actually make the flight after a very slow descent.

Scenario 2:- Driving to Tignes 3 years ago. Mountain road up from Bourg no problems until several miles up when everything stops. Wait 3 hours in queue of stopped vehicles (approaching midnight). Feedback filters down that there is a snowstorm around VAl D and Tignes and some plonker without chains slid and blocked the road. When we eventually reach the "Chainage" where police are directing everyone to stop and put their chains on, we are waived through because I have the (much derided) 4x4. Fortunately Pete Horn was in Tignes and I had been able to phone him and he kindly explained to the hotel where we were.

Scenario 3:- Hired a VW Sharan some years ago. Tried to buy chains for it and were told "that's an unusual size - be 10-14 days delivery on those sir".
snow conditions
Yoda, yes, if there is any chance of snow, obviously you should get chains, and getting them on a "sale or return" basis is a good compromise. But I still think that waiting till you are in France and getting them on the way down from Calais, at far less money, is not too daft. And I did note that the importance of having normal size tyres!
snow report
pam w, ah but they'll never make it in 8 hours if they stop to buy chains wink

Is this speed / time thing some sort of macho competition Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Chamonix to Calais in 6 hrs 15mins with stops...we went through a lot of fuel...!!!

And that taught us that a brisk 85-ish mph with quick drink/fuel stops and 3 drivers is the way to go...cheaper and what you loose in road time you get close to making up in less stops
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Door to door 12 hours! Coming back. Very Happy
13 hours going wink (Time diff)
Have done it in less Shocked
Have done it in a lot more Sad

Our average journey times are now being affected by the efficiency at the Channel Tunnel. (On average the Telepeage saves around 15/20mins each way) I have got journey times going back over the last 15 years - before some of the motorways were built Confused
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, perhaps but that's in a variety of vehicles, including a transit van (long wheel base, not loaded - clearly slower when loaded).
Rather than driving too fast I'd say I probably don't take as many rest stops as some may - obviously when I'm doing it on my own, I take more rest stops but when there's two or more of you sharing the driving, sitting around at a service station seems like a waste of time. Clearly for people with kids in the car, those rest stops are vital to stop the kids going mental!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's an easy journey, that we are making far to complicated. (including my posting, but then i do dive in!). Should be just common sense, really.

Winter journey, could be:- fog, ice , snow, uphill (maybe) hmm... can the car do it?
Approx 600 miles. 8hrs +( a lot can hapen in 8 +hrs). But so what, if 10 or 12 hrs? On a weeks holiday, what's the rush?

Best journey, is whatever you need to achieve....the snow's comming, chill out, take it easy, get there happy but alive. wink wink

BTW, solution for the kids issue:- leave them at home, place them with a relative! where had all the 'poor houses' gone, child slavery etc. Oh dear I'm off on another one again... wink rolling eyes
snow report
portable DVD player for the kids - £50 from ebay..

600 mies in 8 hours I would not consider about right for a powerful saloon car capable of cruising at 100mph.
snow conditions
anthony81077, give snowchains.co.uk a look. Just bought new ones from there and were very helpful.

Personally always use cards for tolls - can see the benefits of Telepeage, but we are overheight
snow report
Hi Guys & Girls,

Trois Vallées Area first week in the new year was fantastic, good snow coverage from mid week onwards.
Unfortunate for the Guys & Girls racing @ the beginning of the week though not much snow coverage.
From Calais did Troyes/Dijon/Lyon/Chambery cost around 70 Euros on tolls and the stint from Lyon to Chambery was long... or it seemed that way.
Way back did Albertville/Annecy/Bourg-en-Breese and cut though to then re-join E15 back up to Calais, saved about 20 Euros on tolls and it did seem quicker.
Also tip for anyone driving out to a ski resort bring a set of junp leads with you, my car had around 6-inches of snow on after a week of being sat outside and for some reason the weight of the snow set the alarm off which resulted in a flat battery!!(Easy to get someone to jump start your car hard to find set of leads though)
Also accomadation wise Odalys Residence in the La Croisette area of Les Menuires clean cheap and faces the main meeting point of the six man lift @ the bottom of the slopes.
snow conditions
Is telepeage something you buy at the start or what? I've always wondered how it works Puzzled
latest report
Ruth Cadbury, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . You can find more about Telepeage here. Tolls can be charged to your credit card automatically and you avoid most of the queues at the toll booths.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy