Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow making

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

I am new to snowheads, but have been quietly observing your discussions for the last week. We are off to Zell am See on 23rd Dec. Given that it no seems there will be no more than a light dusting next week, what can they achieve with snowmaking facilities?

Will they ramp up the snowmaking when the cold hits next week? Or as the glacier is next door - will they not bother?

An insight would be most appreciated by someone who has a clue.

Yours sincereley

Distressed of Leeds!!! Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wellcome to Snowheads posting !
I visited Zell am See about three years back & had no problems later in the season (Except for a very narrow slushy bit down into the village where I ended up under a bush). But I chose the location because of the Kaprun glacier so you will ski.
Snowmaking only works when the air is cold enough so and as there is plenty of water in the area I would expect them to be running if the conditions are right.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mattmulkeen wrote:
Hello all

I am new to snowheads, but have been quietly observing your discussions for the last week. We are off to Zell am See on 23rd Dec. Given that it no seems there will be no more than a light dusting next week, what can they achieve with snowmaking facilities?

Will they ramp up the snowmaking when the cold hits next week? Or as the glacier is next door - will they not bother?

An insight would be most appreciated by someone who has a clue.

Yours sincereley

Distressed of Leeds!!! Puzzled

Zell am See has 14% of its lifts running today. Resort-runs are closed. My guess, based on present and forecast conditions, is that it will struggle to get much beyond that ratio by Crimbo.

But don't panic. Kaprun, just down the road, has 61% of its uplift open today. The skiing appears good. They should have more than enough to keep you happy, even if it will be a touch busy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mattmulkeen, we went to Kaprun in April, apparently Zell was still partly open but some slopes were slushy, but there will be snow, you will ski even if you have to go to Kaprun, bit of a squash on the bus but you soon forget that once your up on the glacier, have fun!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mattmulkeen, I have been to Kaprun when there was little snow in Zell and whilst there is some decent skiing on the glacier to be had it can get very crowded and boisterous in the lift queues and on the buses as folks from all the other resorts pile in. If you have some uncomfortable boots then consider travelling in shoes to the gllacier and taking a backpack. Quite a few snow cannons in Zell so they should be working within a couple of days as temps drop.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaprun does not just serve Zell am See when there is shortage of snow.

Locate Kitzsteinhorn - Kaprun on the following link & take a look at all the resorts within a 50km (min) radius of Kaprun.

http://www.bergfex.at/austria/

I have known people to Q there for 2hrs+ in peak season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get up the mountain early at the Kitzsteinhorn - if things get mad they now limit ticket sales as a few seasons back they continued to cart skiers up the mountain until mid-afternoon... without any thought of how to get them back down and they were still taking people down at 11pm at night!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice.

I will continue to pry for a small (large!!!) miracle

Ta

Matt
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mattmulkeen, I agree get up early if you have to go to Kaprun, we went peak season and although it wasn't very pleasant getting up there crowded buses,gondolas etc, people are not at all polite when queuing!!! once up there though its fine, a few minutes wait for the lifts but i think you will be fine in Zell, lifts/slopes are now open and more snow is forecast this weekend, remember its still early there will be plenty of snow next week (I have everything crossed) snowHead Also I think its called the Maisgogel, its the stop on the bus before the kitsteinhorn, big red cable car, that is lovely to ski down a pretty route all the way down to the viallage of kaprun, right next to the bus stop back to Zell! have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

people are not at all polite when queuing!!!
feefee, We had 4 kids between 8 and 5 and myself and the other father had to get VERY aggressive with a large bunch of folks at the bus stop on the return journey. The worst manners i have ever come accross whn queuing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, only the english have manners when queuing! and when your a local there is no such thing as going to the back of the queue! NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, snowangel., funny enough we seem to accept the foreigners lack of etiquette when queuing, we get cross but thats what they are like, however on the ski bus in Kaprun the worst bunch were english!! they were so argy bargy it was unbelievable! my son was 6 and was shoved out of the way by an englishwoman! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel., so true!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The thing I objected to was everyone pushing to get on the bus. Pointless and dangerous.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy