Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski shape change over the past 10 years?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing research on materials and equiptement, and I was wondering about the total change in shape and length over the past 10 years. I know the new shape makes it easier to carve and to turn for new skiiers, but past that, I'm a bit stuck. Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon that since the introduction of 'carving' skis (probably a bit more than 10 years ago? maybe not), ski lengths have dropped by 15% or more. The old long skis were waisted, but not to the same extent as modern skis; this is because although the middle region of the ski is usually not much wider than old straights, the ends (tips and tails) are maybe 50% or more wider. As you know, it is largely this which makes them easier to 'carve'. Short sis were around in the old days, used by some schools ('ski evolutif') as teaching aids before people progressed onto full length skis. These days there are even wider skis designed to perform well off piste, especially in powder. There are also skis which ski backwards as well as forwards because both ends are bent up instead of just the front ends. I believe that these are used by teenagers who like to show off in terrain parks and pipes and things.

That's a layman's view to give you a bit of background. I daresay one of the pros will be along shortly with a more learned discourse.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember the transition to be sometime in the mid-late 90s. It seemed to be quite a sudden revolution, but maybe I just missed the initial stages?
I went from 200-205 cm GS skis down to 170-175 cm pretty much in a single step. Tips and tails sudddenly became much wider, with much more pronounced sidecut. Torsional stiffness has also improved dramatically. They've slowly been getting even wider in recent years, especially with more and more people venturing off-piste (which is now a lot more accessible on contemporary skis). "Mid-fat" or "All-Mountain" skis are now the most popular with recreational skiers, with typical widths of around 115-125 tip, 75-80 waist and 105-110 tail. Lengths from around 160-180 cm. Very general figures, as there are tons of models with small incremental width steps. Usually aimed at varying percentages of on/off-piste skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
princess orchid, what do you want to know? why skis are shaped as they are? what technology allowed the change in shape?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can remember a pair of Superforce 3F's at 61mm.... and I used them off-piste on the point de vue in about a foot of fresh stuff..... memorable...!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
I can remember a pair of Superforce 3F's at 61mm

Now, that is a short ski.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond,

I was going to post 61mm on a 190 but I knew you were around... wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
These guys claim they were first, in 1992 (when I was skiing a pair of Blizzard "not Audi" Quattros in about 203 I think).

http://www.odysseyskis.com/History.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arno: I'm interested in why the shape has changed and evolved, and also a bit on the technology, but more with the why than the how.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why they changed is a very interesting question. I don't believe it's got anything much to do with technology. The technology to design and manufacture wider shaped skis has been around a LOT longer than the skis themselves. It's more conceptual design I think. Someone thought of it, made some skis and the concept caught on. Ski manufacturers used to be very conservative, nothing much changed at all between 1970 and 1990. Perhaps the sudden change was prompted by the meteoric rise of snowboards in the same period? I must say that back in the mid-late 80s it did cross my mind that skis might just be excessively long and narrow for many uses. I remember attempting to ski powder on them! The concept of a more shaped sidewall was also discussed back then, but nobody was making them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT wrote:
richmond,

Thanks for indulging me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
princess orchid wrote:
I'm doing research on materials and equiptement, and I was wondering about the total change in shape and length over the past 10 years. I know the new shape makes it easier to carve and to turn for new skiiers, but past that, I'm a bit stuck. Any ideas?

Mass-market skis, on the whole, in the last 15 years have gotten shorter, curvier, narrower and lighter.

Some niche segments, such as powder skis, have become fatter.

All skis are now tangibly easier to control.

Mass-market skis in the next 15 years will become thinner and lighter. They will be even easier to control.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 15-12-06 15:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
richmond,

Black and orange with a nice silver flash, like the pair in my garage ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Mass-market skis in the next 15 years will become thinner and lighter. They will be even easier to control.

Can you share with us why and how ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:

Mass-market skis, on the whole, in the last 15 years have gotten shorter, curvier, narrower and lighter.

Shorter, curvier (is that a real word?), yes - although in a shorter time-scale than 15 years. It all happened in the mid 90s

Lighter - not convinced about that. I picked up my old pair of Volkl VP19s in the garage the other day - felt pretty light.

Narrower??? not from where I'm sitting.
latest report
ski wrote:
Quote:

Can you share with us why and how ?

How?

Better materials. Better technologies. Better designs. Better production processes.

Why?

Thinner and lighter (while remaining stiff) will make skis easier to control. The sport will become quicker to learn and more enjoyable.

The main reason snowboarding took off was because it is easier than skiing (fewer edges and no poles).
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
princess orchid wrote:

Some niche segments, such as powder skis, have become fatter.

All skis are now tangibly easier to control.

I forgot to add -- many skipoles have gotten lighter and thinner in the last 5 years.

In the next 5 years, some skipoles will become shorter. They will encourage skiers to lean forward when they plant.
latest report
Latchigo,

Sounds like them...but I don't recall a silver flash....but it was early 90's
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

In the next 5 years, some skipoles will become shorter. They will encourage skiers to lean forward when they plant.

You can already buy short ski poles though if you want - the technology is already available Wink
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Shorter, curvier (is that a real word?), yes - although in a shorter time-scale than 15 years. It all happened in the mid 90s

Lighter - not convinced about that. I picked up my old pair of Volkl VP19s in the garage the other day - felt pretty light.

Narrower??? not from where I'm sitting.

Curvier is an adjective.

Mass-market skis, on the whole, have lightened by roughly 5 - 10% over the last 15 years. They are shorter and use more modern materials. Bindings are lighter, too.

Waists have gotten narrower for mass-market skis. Many skis used to go straight down from top to bottom. Nowadays, many curve inward at the middle.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

You can already buy short ski poles though if you want - the technology is already available Wink

I know, I have a pair.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Mass-market skis, on the whole, have lightened by roughly 5 - 10% over the last 15 years. They are shorter and use more modern materials. Bindings are lighter, too.

Waists have gotten narrower for mass-market skis. Many skis used to go straight down from top to bottom. Nowadays, many curve inward at the middle.

Interesting, I'll have to do some measuring and weighing at the weekend and report back. I have a couple of pairs of mid 90s old school planks kicking around in the garage to compare. I'm 99% sure the waists are considerably narrower than my current skis, but I'll check. True there's hardly any sidecut on the old planks, but they're not very wide at ANY point to start with. I'd be surprised if they're 5-10% heavier than my current skis either. I reckon they're actually similar or even lighter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold,

Quote:

Better materials. Better technologies. Better designs. Better production processes.

What do you mean by this ?
snow report
There hasn't been any technological constraint on making narrower skis so I don't see why they will suddenly become the fashion. A bit of weight is actually helpful in a lot of situations but if someone can make a lightweight ski with the same feel and stability as heavier skis have today, they may be on to something
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
There hasn't been any technological constraint on making narrower skis

Or wider ones in the last 50 years.
ski holidays
I thought that there was a constraint on wide skis in the past - that people had not come up with material/construction combinations that gave adequate torsional stiffness in wide designs. Without torsional stiffness edge hold would be weak and/or unpredictable. At least that was what I was told.
latest report
Well they somehow managed to make snowboards, which are pretty wide
snow report
jedster wrote:
I thought that there was a constraint on wide skis in the past - that people had not come up with material/construction combinations that gave adequate torsional stiffness in wide designs. Without torsional stiffness edge hold would be weak and/or unpredictable. At least that was what I was told.

Ok, more seriously, the "technology" to construct wide, torsionally stiff skis has been around for many years. but the ski designers just didn't see the design "concept". In other words, they never thought of it!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, my understanding is that technology used in snowboards paved the way for wider skis
ski holidays
 brian
brian
jedster, I think that's true, but you're going back about 40 years. As uktrailmonster says, the materials etc. didn't change at the time shaped skis arrived.
latest report
Well, I don't know everything about it however the why was I think a man called Alberto Tomba. He was/is a very strong man and could carve perfectly on old skis. the rest of us couldn't but wanted to. His influence changed the italian ski teaching system, manufacturers at about that time got access to better materials for the insides of the ski and in consequence started to work on skis that would allow more of us to do what Mr tomba did. I'm being serious here BTW. Now, with improved plastics, carbon fibre, use of titanium etc they can make a ski that is torsionally rigid but longditudinally relatively flexible. this ski will support a heavier skier in a shorter length. the shape allows to ski to follow a manageable arc, unlike the older skis (who would have a natural turning radius of about 50m).

I skied my first pair of parabolic skis in about 1994 I think, and bought my first pair of real carvers (Head Cyber space) in 1998 as far as I can remember. However I dispute that modern skis and binding have got lighter - au contraire - they are deffo a lot heavier than skis of 15 years ago.

so - the why was to help us to ski better and more easily. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

snowboards as we think of them today (wide) are a fairly new invention too. Look at the earlier ones - they were alpine boards and much narrower.
snow report
princess orchid, so back to original post. Exactly how much research had you done again ??
latest report
Cheers, everyone! Managed to do my writeup in good time. Very Happy
snow conditions
Whilst skis have got shorter, lighter, etc etc by an amazing coincidence, I have got older, balder slightly fatter and slower..
snow report
Only just seen this thread and obviously a bit late now, but for interest, I did a presentation on ski development a couple of years ago and research kicked up

Quote:
1868: Sondre Norheim demonstrated the Telemark ski, the first with a sidecut that narrowed the ski underfoot while the tip and tail remained wider. In the same way as the camber, the sidecut produced a ski that flexed more easily when tipped on edge, so that in a turn its edge followed the shape of the turn instead of skidding sideways.

Quote:
1932 After wooden skis: came 3 layer laminated skis

After WW II ski designs were adapted to provide a wooden core sandwiched between plastic layers – a design that was adopted by the 1948 British Olympic team.

Quote:

1959 Fibreglass: came along, and by 1968 had supplanted wood, aluminium and to a great extent, plastic

Quote:
1990 (deep side-cut) Saw the introduction of the deep side-cut skis, finally escaping from the
Telemark design that had endured almost unchanged for 140 odd years.

In fact, five years earlier the carver was accredited to Frank Meatto in the USA, but was considered to controversial and radical, so it never really took off.
ski holidays
Whitegold, lighter? I really don't think so - neither for skis nor bindings. But who cares, they don't weigh anything once you're skiing... (or rather, of course they do but you really shouldn't perceive that).

With some trepidation, I will humbly suggest to easiski, that the first skis I heard about designed specifically for Tomba were Atomic Arcs that I played on once in a 203cm on hard pack on a cold day in Courmayeur and I will submit that they are the only skis ever that I felt I simply wasn't heavy enough for. Required sooooo much effort to carve.

I believed that Elan (1993) per Wikipedia and Head led the shaped revolution.

I also heard that Elan's ex-racer head of design tried to build a short shaped ski in the late 50's (maybe late 60's) but simply couldn't get the materials to allow anything other than (or even?) prototyping of the design. Skis have been shaped for a very long time.

IIRC, the revolution began once someone (Salomon?) invented the monocoque construction which - with new materials - allowed the change in shape which was then driven by a need to make the skiing part of snow sports easier to learn (at least in the early stages) and help the skis mfrs to compete with the perceived threat of the emergence of snowboarding. I think people had started playing with shapes for racers around 1989 as the Dynastar WC SLs of that year had the waist of the shape much further back to facilitate the (I think) then fashionable J-turns through gates.

You will of course all understand that all research for this post was done with ski chums on chairlifts with hangovers or with chums in bars developing said h'overs. So can easily be called into question... Laughing

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 20-12-06 9:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
David Murdoch, Bode Miller was skiing on a pair of K2 4's and winning FIS level races a long time ago, he was one of the people who was first to move towards a shaped ski for racing...even though the ski was a recreational carver
latest report
CEM, 1995 actually. Which isn't thaat long ago... (IMHO) The Atomics I mentioned were in 1989. And weren't shaped (beyond what all skis were shaped).
ski holidays
David Murdoch, not that long ago when you think about it but the title of the thread was 'changes over the past 10 years' Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

but he was still the first to race on them
latest report
In the last 10 years skis have got WIDER (sorry Whiteroom, I disagree with you) in the waist.

In 1996, the top 5 skis tested by Ski Canada were:
1. Kneissl Ergo Race - 92/62/92
2. Atomic Beta CarvX 926 - 97/62/88
3. Head Cyber 28 – 102/67/92 (I think)
4. K2 Four - 99/65/88
5. Salomon Axendo 9 - 100/63/89

Other popular skis back then:
Elan SCX Monoblock – 112/60/110
Fischer Revolution Race – 89/63/89
Rossignol Cut 10.4 – 104/62/94 (I sold a few of these!)

Now a "normal" width ski will be closer to 72-77 than 62-67. But, we also have a lot more variety in skis today. A decade ago the idea of having average ability skiers on skis over 80mm waist was unheard of - now it's one of the top topics of discussion on here - take a look at the number of threads about K2 Public Enemies, Volkl Karmas, etc. These skis are 85mm, and no one is saying they are too wide.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy