Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
maggi, that's Italy for you. A friend who worked in Rome was told off by the dry cleaning man for popping round the corner to pick up her husband's suit without dressing up and making "la bella figura".
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've found carbon poles to be less robust than Al ones. Sure they spring back if you bend them but they also get cut/chipped by ski edges and then can SNAP leaving sharp shards of carbon fibre. Admitedly I have been known to be somewhat rough with my gear...

The other thing is that skinny carbon poles look very nice with little baskets but if you put powder baskets on them then you rather spoil the effect. I think I'll go back to Al next time. If I bend them I'll buy some new ones - they are cheap afterall.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold, Granted a Skoda is no Porsche but a VRS is no slouch, still a lot cheaper and dare I say better Value for money if your not into the NAME thing and can get a lot more ski kit in hacking down to the mountains.

'' Buy the best you can afford'' '' All the more reason for you to get some decent kit if you are such a gash skier.''

So can we presume that you think anybody who doesn't ski like Bode is a gash skier.

Are you also saying that Mr or Mrs X who can afford the best is going to find their, let us say intermediate standard magically improve by buying the very top of the range. IMVHO I think not.

This all sounds very much like knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Anyway I'm going on my hols tomorrow Very Happy and taking my trusty 15 year old poles with me.

Have a Great Xmas everyone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster wrote:
I've found carbon poles to be less robust than Al ones. Sure they spring back if you bend them but they also get cut/chipped by ski edges and then can SNAP leaving sharp shards of carbon fibre. Admitedly I have been known to be somewhat rough with my gear...

especially if you whack the pole against a ski's edge to it "persuade" to go back on in powder Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The racers use good quality light, strong Alloy poles. Usually Scott but there are now a lot more Leki being used in racing. The reason That they do not use composite poles is that they tend to shatter on hard impact.
I have seen this happen with composite poles impacting gates and the shards/fibres and sharp edges are extremely dangerous.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I just switched from my trust 125cm K2 poles that have served me for 4 or 5 pairs of skis, and now have Leki poles. Alloy ones, with the clip in strap. All for the bank breaking sum of £25
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Poles are a finishing touch. Why have cool looking ski gear, shiny new skis and then top it off with a gash pair of tatty old poles? It makes you look like a pikey Wink

edit: It's fine to have tatty old poles if the rest of your kit is equally battered. In this case shiny new blingy poles would just look stupid Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy