Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on Scott Missions

Poster: A snowHead
Well after buying these skis without testing, I took them out Monday and they do live up to the praise!

I basically wanted one ski to take anywhere, so far they seem to fit the bill nicely.

Conditions ranged from icy, hard piste, to light powder (20cmish), to fresh snow from snow cannons.

They basically coped great with it all, and even seemed to work fine in the little moguls I found, they performed short and long radius turns without any issues

I'd love to get them in some deep snow, in the stuff I found they were great, which is too be expected!

Later on in the day as the pistes cleared I could really crank up the speed, they held an edge nicely at speed on the piste.

I suspect they'll be great in spring snow and slush, as well as chopped up snow.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, nice report.

How much better than the supernoodles are they?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We may well get a chance to try these out at Christmas (well, I'll try the Rosa) but the shop here automatically puts Fritschi Freeride Plus bindings on (in fact they only put alpine bindings on their lower-end punter skis) - but then they are more of a touring shop. The owner's reasoning for putting touring bindings on is that the Freeride Plus are as stable as an alpine binding and mean you are set up for touring if you want to. Any thoughts? And anything we should bear in mind when testing? (We're probably a little way off touring yet)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest marc, they weren't miles better than the 1080s, they felt a little more solid when cranking them over at high speed. But I think given the conditions I skied in it would be hard to compare. I did feel they coped with chopped up powder better.

I think I'll see more difference in crud, slush or deeper snow.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski,

Sounds like you had fun in Obertauern snowHead .

My Mad Trix Mojo's are a little beat up now and the Missions are one of the skis I want to demo this season as a possible replacement
What size 1080's were you on before? Which size missions did you go for? - how does this relate to your size / weight?

For such a wide ski the radius is small, I'm concerned about how twitchy / grabby (for want of a better technical term) they will be in deeper powder.

168 cm: 126-86-113 mm / 13.2 m
178 cm: 128-89-115 mm / 14.7 m
183 cm: 130-90-116 mm / 15.9 m

Some Scott skis offer dual radius technology (whatever that is) would be interested to know if this really gives the best of both worlds or if there are any compromises.

Do let us know how you get on with them in deeper powder.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My 1080s were 171, the Scott's are 178, I'm 5ft 10" and weigh 12st 12lbs

To the side of the piste, I could really feel a solid base underfoot, which I'm guessing is down to their extra width over my 1080s.

If you can find me some deep powder for the end of Jan in Engelberg, I'll let you know how they ski Wink

To be honest, in all the reviews I read, nobody said they were twitchy in powder, the one constant downside to them that I did read was that it was felt they suited heavier skiers better than lighter ones.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, one does usually follow the other though. Small turn radius skis will react more to the rider being knocked about - more than larger radius skis anyway.

The dimentions look a bit Head im88 ish IIRC, It'd be interesting to compare them I'd bet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski,

If I find any powder I'll let you know (the day after) Wink.
Suspect the stable ride is probably more to do with the beefier construction of the Scotts when compaired to the Salomon's.

marc gledhill,

I tried the im88 and the Mojo 90 in the same week. The Mojo 90 suited me better but I'm ca 72kg. (11.5 stone or 56134.452 pound per foot fortnight). The IM88 was really stable at speed and would cut through anything but was a hard ride in the bumps. Heavier riders tend to like stiffer skis.

There seems to be a series of skis with very similar ("Pocket Rocket inspired") dimensions.
This looks to be the order of stiffness (most bendable first)

1. Salomon Pocket Rocket

2. Head Mojo 90 (176cm 124-89-117 / 20.2m)

3. Scott Santigo Mission

4. Head IM88

Not sure about the position of 2 & 3 hence the reason I'd like to try the Scotts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found the Missions felt light underfoot and thats one reason why I thought the Outlaw a slightly better bet for me. I'm about 185 and 85Kgs. Both test skis were over 180 IIRC. I only used them on a very hard base at the PSB which is where I thought both the Outllaw and Mission would do not so well.. Although I think I prefer a finesse ski, I aim to use a more beefy ski this year but that might mean just a heavier ski in the hand. I am entirely confident that the Mission will do well for me this year, as will the Outlaw in the conditions I'll be skiing in...which will be any old cruddy stuff to powder.

I get the impression that the Mission is along the lines of a 8000, just a few generations on, in that it feels less underfoot than it looks - its so wide at the shovel- and easy to throw around anyway you want.

kitenski, I'll be using Snake BC's in Engelberg, I would think, or Scott Schmidts
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, Fritschis are quite a lot more expensive than a reasonable downhill (ie conventional) binding so if you aren't going to tour, they're a bit of a waste of money. if you really want to save cash you can pick up older salomon bindings (997, 900s) on ebay for very little, particularly when they are attached to old skinny skis so you're looking at abot £30 for some decent downhill bindings vs £200+ for new Fritschis

As to stability/durability... well, they aren't quite as stable or durable as a lot of consumer downhill bindings but you probably won't notice the difference unless you weigh a lot/jump off cliffs/race
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been using the Missions in deep powder, as well as steep off piste. I've got the 183s, and it's taken me a day or two to get used to them, but they do perform very well, with really good float off piste, and seem to hold an edge well on the hard pack, although it does take a little bit more work to get them on edge than my B2s. Moguls I'm finding them a little harder, but that's to be expected in a ski that's 7cm longer. They do give much more feedback than the B2s, and are nowhere near as forgiving, but the are so much more rewarding. For all those of you who are worrying whether their reputation in deep powder is deserved, let me set your mind at rest.

In summary, a demanding ski, that needs to be worked, and won't forgive sloppiness, but that pays you back in bucketloads in all conditions.

Admittedly, I've not had that much ice to try them on yet. NehNeh Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, Hi. Glad you are having fun. Git
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, thanks. The jet lag has been a killer. But it's so been worth it. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As good out there as you had hoped?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, they weren't exactly sloppy on sheet ice either... Toofy Grin

Frosty the Snowman, chill, dude, CHILL Cool Cool
snow conditions
Sharkymark, I'm not jealous of Kramer, . The park is shut wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, the park is shut!? He went several thousand miles and the park is shut!?!?!? I bet you're actually laughing at him right now...

...yeah right Toofy Grin
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, the park is shut!? He went several thousand miles and the park is shut!?!?!? I bet you're actually laughing at him right now...

Not only that but he can't find any ice to test them on either, rolling eyes
snow report
What a muppet.
snow report
FenlandSkier, damn, he must be having a really cr*p time...
snow conditions
Sharkymark, Poor lad has probably got high speed detachable chairs to put up with as well rolling eyes
latest report
And he's posting on here at 3 o'clock, must have knocked off early
snow report
>> In summary, a demanding ski, that needs to be worked

Can you explain what you mean by this? I found them fine just cruising down blues/greens without much effort tbh. The only time I felt I had to work them was on a pisted black that was mostly artificial, unless I skied them hard I found them a little grabby, but that could have been the cold artificial snow...

Regards,

Greg

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 15-12-06 13:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kitenski,

I don't understand that either but I've only used them on very hard snow at the PSB. I thought they were a doddle to ski and I wrote that anyone could ski them IMV.
I also thought they skied light and would not be tiring to ski on all day.
snow report
I've got a pair of 183's, they are effortless turning(lightweight), solid underfoot, a do everything type of ski. I haven't had them in powder or icey conditions yet, that being said they may be a little bit too turny for some people.
snow report
kitenski, JT, mmalloy, You have to remember that his last skis were B2s Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
You have to remember that his last skis were B2s Shocked Shocked

Laughing
ski holidays
mmalloy, Welocome to snowHeads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks,

I've taken my Missions out and compared them to some other sticks I have... Rossi Scratch BC WRS, Fischer Atua 96 and Line Mothership Flites. They have outperformed all except the Rossi. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kitenski, JT, mmalloy, I think that easiski has it. I've been riding around on the tails of my B2s for the past couple of years, the Missions won't let you get away with that, IMV, and if you do start to lean back on them, then they do tend to throw you off, again IMV. As long as you keep a good balance and posture on the ski, then they perform well, but you do have to work them to get them to do it, IMV. Perhaps my choice of words wasn't so good, as mentioned, the jet lag has been a bit of a killer.

This post may not actually make any sense after twenty hours travelling either.
ski holidays
ah ok, I get you, I *think* I ski pretty centered, hence didn't notice that compared to my old 1080s...

sounds like you had fun, any more thoughts on the skis once you've had some kip, and a proper cuppa/pint/curry Wink

regards,

Greg
snow report
Kramer,

I compared the Missions mount point to my other skis and the center line is alot further back than the others, I just had mine remounted forward of center. I have not been on them since the remount though.
latest report
mmalloy, the bindings do seem to be quite far back on the skis. Thinking about it more, as the week went on, I found the Missions easier to ski, both on and off piste, so it may have been that my initial impression was distorted by a combination of being used to the B2s, also by having to get my ski legs back again.

Overall, they do seem to perform very well both in deep powder, also when carving on pistes in great condition. I think that maybe saying that they're a demanding ski that needs to be worked hard was incorrect, rather that they need good technique to make them perform well. They're not a ski that I could recommend to someone as being particularly forgiving IMV.
snow report
Kramer, Are you pleased with your purchase?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, very much so. They seem to be exactly what I was looking to move up to from my B2s. Essentially something that performs better for me (103kgs) off piste without sacrificing much on-piste performance, and they seem to do the job. Very Happy
latest report
Only been on the one pair of demo Mission's for a few runs and didn't takle any notice of the binding position. I am not a great fan of messing around with that anyway and as I am invariably of a hire set, I think its best for me to have a neutral position. I don't think I have a really centred stance either so I'll take more note the next time I'm on them. I suppose if I had probelms, I would have taken more notice.

I think they are good ski
ski holidays
I will get hubby to report on his experiences once Santa has visited, and he has tried them out.
snow conditions
btw my bindings were fitted "as they come" from telemark-pyrenees, I took them over to SpyderJons to see what his campbell balancer said, and for me, the "stock" fitting position is perfectly balanced.
latest report
kitenski, Cool.

I've got achilles coming over in Jan so we'll see how his Mission's balance up.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 18-12-06 21:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kitenski, is this the home made balancer, i am sure mr Campbell would not like spyderjon plagerising his name wink wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy