Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria ski weekend - Got back yesterday

Poster: A snowHead
Well here's a quick report of the lads early ski weekend (well that's what we call it) for all that's interested.

Usually go to Tignes but with great wisdom ie. last years snow! Decided to try St Anton!!!!!

Had flights booked to Friedrichshafen a while so committed really, even though we new the snow situation. Left Grimsby Wednesday morning at a stupid time as it was a 7am flight. Still hadn't booked accommodation as had Solden, Obergurgl or Ischgl on the list of venues, probably Ischgl just favourite.

landed at Friedrichshafen, there seemed great amusement from some of the locals on the flight when we collected our skis, where's the snow one or two asked, a lecture about global warming followed from another, don't start that again I thought, there's enough of that on Snowheads!

Firstly decided to visit St Anton to have a look at the new Galzigbahn lift, flippin' eck, it's a beauty! Must go back to try it out, if you're in the area go and have a look it's well worth it. St Anton was a sorry site, green, green , green, Oh dear. We all needed the loo so it was a cheeky half in one of the bars, asked the barmaid if she could find out which on our list of resorts we should visit, a quick chat to the locals brought back the answer......definitely Solden! So Solden it was snowHead .

Arrived in Solden in the afternoon to a very green village at 8 degrees Sad . We decided to book a days lift pass for the Thursday for the Solden glacier, that's all that was open things didn't look promising. Thought we'd try Obergurgl on the Friday then ski our favourite of the two on the saturday. We then had a trip to the tourist information office, the girl in there was good, gave us a list of a few places to stay with quotes for 4 nights. We chose the most central though not the cheapest but at €40 a night for B&B it wasn't too bad. Booked in OK, though the owner lady got a bit annoyed at one of our friends attempt to barter. €35 he asked, this is my house not a market she replied!!!! Had a few beers then a not too late night ready for the morning.

Drove up to the glacier on the Thursday, just below freezing by the time we got up there. Well the snow on the glacier was lovely, we had a really good day. It's split into two near identical sides, well it was to me! A gondola and small chair on each with a number of drags. I think around 30km of piste in total was open, the two areas are linked by a tunnel and a chair. It wasn't too demanding, all blues and reds, though typical for a glacier. I must admit from a personal point of view I much prefered the Solden glacier to the Tignes one. A geat first day for getting the legs back going again. Thursday night brought some rain to Solden with temperatures still high Shocked .

Friday decided to drive up to Obergurgl to try it out, what a mistake. It was p*****g it down most of the way, when we arrived we were greeted by sodden skiers coming off the slopes and most of the snow that had fallen before we went washed away. There was about 2 blue runs up top open and that was it! So we set off back to Solden and the safety of the glacier Smile . Stopped off at the lift pass shop first and got a two dayer as we knew we wouldn't be skiing anywhere else than the glacier, not the cheapest way of doing it but couldn't be helped. Had another great day on the glacier, a bit of fresh stuff kept it skiing well. It may have been raining down below but up there fell as the glorious white stuff snowHead . Just a bit late getting there due to the Obergurgl detour! It had filled up dramatically with the locals also so got quite busy at times.

Friday night had a bit of a boozy night in town, it's got a good selection of bars! We'll leave it at that for now wink .Was raining hard into the night in the village, lots of powder up top we thought (hoped) Laughing .

Saturday woke up early though tired to the village being white over snowHead snowHead snowHead though it was a bit wet and sleety in the town. It still looked like a winter wonderland snowHead . We saw the chalet owner daughters' race carvers proped up near the dining room. "Are you skiing today?" Asked Steve Kirby, "no" replied the chalet owner "and neither are you!" She said getting her own back for the bartering. The lifts were shut until 10am while they dug them out. 55cm of snow had fallen overnight she told us. It was chains only up to the glacier so we decided to get the bus up as though chains had been pre booked the hire company said they weren't available for the vehicle we had, a nine seater Vito, only fit winter tyres rolling eyes . She told us the buses only ran ever hour and what time it would be across the road, she also said she'd throw the bus tickets in with the price as we weren't having breakfast Sunday morning ans sent her daughter to collect them. Buy in advance she told us as they're cheaper, can't be fairer than that. We waited for over 1 1/2 hours in the wet sleet for a bus, the snow had taken Solden by surprise Shocked . We finally arrived up on the glacier at midday Mad . Though what a welcome 2-3 foot of powder, we had a fantastic afternoon. There was some great fresh tracks just at the sides of the drag lifts, we didn't want those few hours in the afternoon to end! I've skied similar conditions on the Tignes glacier and as I've mentioned prefered Solden's.

We left very early on the Sunday morning, shifted about a foot of snow off the van before we left temperature about -1 degrees in the village and still snowing. Had a reasonable trip back even though the roads were a bit snowy, looked like a good dump in the Arlberg as we drove past, our thoughts went back to St Anton. Though perhaps we've found a better place? Just maybe.

Solden did capture our hearts, even though the skiing was limited what we did ski was great. As a resort it looks like it has everything, some of the home runs look very steep indeed. When it is fully open and snowed up I bet it's a cracker of a resort. There's some lively and interesting bars also, well worth the trip. Eating out prices were about average also, certainly didn't break the bank. If you're looking for a new resort Solden might just fit the bill, we'll certainly be back sometime.

Hope I didn't bore you all too much wink

Grimsby Ranger
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice review Grimsby Ranger, sounds like a good time despite the worst the conditions could throw at you. Did you find the global warming bloke at the airport on the way back and tell him about the powder?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grimsby Ranger, That is a top report. Nice One. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grimsby Ranger, I shared your pain and anguish as you were deciding last week what to do.

Top report, I enjoyed reading that and really glad for you that you got some good runs in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fresh tracks early dec, Im green all over.good reading thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you're looking for a new resort Solden might just fit the bill, we'll certainly be back sometime.

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh keep it quiet! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice report

"If you're looking for a new resort Solden might just fit the bill, we'll certainly be back sometime"

Hardly a new resort, I remember going there in the early 80,s & a few day trips since. IMO they have runied what used to be a very nice town with the sprawling bars, nightclubs & stripjoints.

Ask any locals what they think of there town now ? Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
IMO they have runied what used to be a very nice town with the sprawling bars, nightclubs & stripjoints.

Ask any locals what they think of there town now ? Sad

I must admit I didn't particuarly take to Solden ... the town's a bit spread out over a single long main road and is not exactly pretty . skiing was ok but nothing out of this world

Ischlg's still favourite for us for this thursday .... need to get some accomodation though .. already had a few rejections
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the comments guys appreciated it. FenlandSkier, didn't see the global warming guy again unfortunately wink . Ray Zorro, the anguish was awful, we had a really bad feeling about the trip but in the end it was pretty good. Tirol, don't worry we'll keep quiet Smile .

stanton, the 'new' resort was a figure of speech, it's the first time we'd been so to us was 'new'. I know it has been around for a long time. Just like virtually any other town in the Alps. You're right about the bars etc. but for a lads weekend trip it was good, lively but not rowdy probably because of a lack of Brits wink . I'm sure there's still some small, quiet & quaint places to stay just outside with easy access to the Solden skiing.

RichA, just guessing about the skiing as a whole as only the glacier was open but it did look as though it had quite a bit of skiing with some fairly steep descents into the village.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grimsby Ranger -- Nice report.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks from me too. Enjoyed your report.

snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grimsby Ranger
You're right about the bars etc. but for a lads weekend trip it was good, lively but not rowdy probably because of a lack of Brits

If you go there during the Peak season its is packed with Dutch Very Happy The Brits go up the road to Obergurgl

If your in the area down valley there is one of the finest Spa,s in Europe . Thoroughly recommmend

http://www.aqua-dome.at/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great report Grimsby Ranger.Personally, I really liked Solden. Although you could'nt describe it as cheap, I did'nt feel I was getting spanked to quite the same degree as St Anton or some of the French resorts. A large beer was 3 euros and a mixed grill (Austrias national dish!) 15 euros.

All in all, an excellent weekend after all the doom and gloom of the preceding week!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanx for that great trip report. Im heading to St Anton in a few weeks (after the new year) and hoping it's white all over...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grimsby Ranger, top report - well done mate.
snow report
Enjoyed reading your report mate, cheers. Smile
snow report
Cheers Grimsby Ranger, even though it probably wasn't the most sucessful trip ever, it's really inspird me to get out there. Waiting the month and a bit before my ski trip will seam like a lifetime!!!!! Madeye-Smiley

Good to see you had some good times. wink

Kersh
ski holidays
Thanks all, you're welcome snowHead
ski holidays
Also just got back very late last night from Austria... Hintertux. Skied Monday and yesterday. Awesome snow but seriously cold on monday. Really good cover all the way from 3250 to 2100 metres and you could see the terrain at Lanersbach down the valley also looked healthy. The scene driving down the Zillertal on the way back to Munich was a bit of a sorry one - not a flake anywhere.

Stayed in the recently refurbed Neu Hintertux - thoroughly recommend it. Food brilliant, staff very friendly, new sauna and pool wonderful... and great VFM.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy