Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Best Resort That No-ones Ever Heard Off..

Poster: A snowHead
Pila - staying down in the valley in Aosta - best of both worlds Cool. Gets full of Brit school groups - once you get above the nursery slopes it's pretty much empty during the week.

CD.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Another vote for Les Contamines!

I skied there in 1988, it was a nice resort then - I haven't been back since.

snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Massif, Quebec, good skiing and outstanding views across the St Lawrence River.
Interestingly, it's a bit "upside down" - the visitor car park and main facilities, restaurants etc are at the top of the slopes. not the bottom!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Saisies - the other half of Crest Voland. Great place!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cauterets
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Las Lenas, Portillo, Les Contamines, Serre Chevalier, Sainte Foy, Kronplatz, Hakuba Valley, Treble Cone, Andermatt, Crans Montana, Flims, Big Sky and Telluride.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, I've heard of Nakiska (I even have a piste map somewhere), and we were going to ski there on our way back to Calgary for our return flight. We never got though, as our youngest was ill the night before, so we stayed in Banff instead.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samoens, Les Carroz, Morillon, Sixt - the bits that make Flaine much better than it would be!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Clive, Nendaz - gaining in popularity with the Brits who want to buy a slice in Switzerland. It's located in the Verbier ski circus but a whole lot cheaper. Good access to the slopes of Verbier "through the back door" via Siviez

Mayens de Riddes - also in Verbier ski- circus very quiet with lovely slopes on the back of Savoleyres.

Veysonnaz - eastern extremity of the Verbier circuit, small traditional village with stunning views over the Rhone Valley. Brand new gondola serving the Piste de l'Ours a super bright red giant slalom world cup course.

Ovronnaz - had a super summer holiday here 3 years ago walking in the mountains. Accommodation mostly in chalets and low rise apartment blocks. Very Swiss.

We have all heard of Verbier, Saas Fee, and Zermatt, but in this canton of Valais there arenumerous delightful little known low key resorts well worth investigating.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is Fortress open again Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold:- Serre Chevalier? Crans Montana?? Puzzled I think we're stretching the definition of "unknown" a bit far now! British TOs have been going to those two for donkey's years, surely. Your other choices look interesting tho. Have you been to Kronplatz?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ice perv wrote:
Whitegold:- Serre Chevalier? Crans Montana?? Puzzled I think we're stretching the definition of "unknown" a bit far now! British TOs have been going to those two for donkey's years, surely. Your other choices look interesting tho. Have you been to Kronplatz?

Ice Perv -- Serre Chevalier (great skiing) and Crans Montana (great views) are personal favorites, so I had to sneak them in Little Angel

I went to Kronplatz for a weekend a few years back. Great scenery, good skiing and distinct culture. Nice place somewhat off the beaten track. Recommended.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz wrote:
Areche de Beaufort and les karellis (not sure if i have spelt either correctly)

Done both those too. Again in twinning group with French PTT. Mighty crack, limited skiing.

La Toussuire was the best PTT lodge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peyragues in the Pyrenees (previously the 2 resorts of les agudes and peyresourde). Have never seen another Brit there!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pra Loup. Large resort, very few Brits. Speak a little French and you are welcomed like a local.
latest report
> Peyragues in the Pyrenees (previously the 2 resorts of les agudes and peyresourde). Have never seen another Brit there!

I know it is bad form to correct typos or spelling but that's Peyragudes. You obviously wern't there when they filmed TND.

C'mon guys, lets have some obscure resorts not stuff like Pra-Loup which is on some Brit T.O. rostas. We have to give Arnie "the Terminator" Wilson some ideas for his next piece in the Sunday Travel supplements... and no, nobody say Vaujany, Pamprovo or Baqueira!
latest report
davidof wrote:
C'mon guys, lets have some obscure resorts not stuff like Pra-Loup which is on some Brit T.O. rostas. !

Thing is you seem to know every bit of terrain capable of being covered in snow in France !

I know many already know it but I would have to say Auron and Valberg down Sarf of France which are not that well - known by many here but - and more so in the case of Valberg are great fun IF conditions are good.
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
davidof wrote:
C'mon guys, lets have some obscure resorts not stuff like Pra-Loup which is on some Brit T.O. rostas. !

Thing is you seem to know every bit of terrain capable of being covered in snow in France !

Shocked

It is true that the only thing that makes Peyragudes stand out is the Bond film. Valberg is a good example of a big domain that is not well known. Maybe we need degrees of unknowness?

Anyway how about, for the Northern French Alps, Orange, Notre dame de Vaulx, Villard Reymond, Seythenex or le Col de Barrioz. Out of that list Syethenex has some excellent off-piste (but is maybe too well known to count?) and le Barrioz has a ski run like they used to make them - dré dans le pentu as they say round these parts.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-12-06 16:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
If you really want unknown / remote then how about the ski pistes above Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina. Definitely the southernmost ski resort in the world. I have not skied there but I did walk up the piste to the top on exactly this date last year (it was summer there so no snow except at the top on a little glacier).

Great views of the Beagle Channel and Chilean islands on the other side as you come down the piste, cheap food and wine and friendly locals as long as you steer clear of mentioning the "Islas Malvinas".
ski holidays
Quote:

I know it is bad form to correct typos or spelling

Quote:

on some Brit T.O. rostas

Do you mean "rosters" davidof? wink
snow report
kicking horse
latest report
Magic Mountain - Londonderry ( VT )
snow report
I got lost in the Juras once and there seemed to be lots of snow and lifts and things. Couldn't possibly tell you the names of the resorts - I was too scared of being stranded on top of a mountain with no people for hundreds of miles!! Damn those RAC route planners!
snow report
Just remembered another one - Fiesch in Switzerland
snow conditions
Conta' sucks! Don't go to Conta'. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Mera, Italy--Inghams went there years ago-- no access to the resort other than a chairlift! Both my husband (now ex) and a friend broke their legs there (within days of each other) -- and we spent most of the holiday in some nearby hospital visiting them...Haven't been there since, but despite these traumas, I liked the resort... wink
snow report
Corvara and San Cassiano in the Dolomites. Never many brits there, thank god!
snow report
angelaclark wrote:
I got lost in the Juras once and there seemed to be lots of snow and lifts and things. Couldn't possibly tell you the names of the resorts - I was too scared of being stranded on top of a mountain with no people for hundreds of miles!! Damn those RAC route planners!

Which bit of the Jura was that - French or Swiss?

Les Rousses, Col de la Faucille would have been on route if you were taking the back route in or out of Gex/Divonne on the border of CH near Geneva.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
surfski, Ah Fond memories of San Cass - stayed at Chalet Costas with Supertravel back in 1978. Other unknowns in the area include Colfosco and arguably Arabba although it has a good following nowadays.
latest report
David Snell and surfski
Great shout - that's a lovely area. Stayed in San Cassiano New Year 96/97.......ridiculous amount of snow Razz

CD.
latest report
Les Contamines, a guide friend of mine goes there with his Mrs.

I have to agree withboredsurfin, La Rosiere. I too had not heard of it before I joined SH's. I dont know what it is like but would love to go one day.
ski holidays
Kals am Grossglockner... awesome but try saying it on a tube of wine gums.

And on the Carinthia side of the Grossglockner... Heiligenblut (or Holy Blood - not exactly a marketing man's dream name but top ski area, loads of vertical).
latest report
Quote:

Stayed in San Cassiano New Year 96/97.......ridiculous amount of snow

Ski-2, a great personal comapany in my experience have just adopted this as one of their destinations, we may well try it in 2008 - not enough hols to go this year.
ski holidays
Got to put my vote in for Snowshoe, West Virginia.

It's an upside down place similar to Le Massif described above by Alastair Pink. Had a good couple of days there in March this year when in the Washington DC area visiting some friends.

Another enjoyable small place I've been to is Champrocher in the Aosta Valley
latest report
chrisdavis wrote:
David Snell and surfski
Great shout - that's a lovely area. Stayed in San Cassiano New Year 96/97.......ridiculous amount of snow Razz

CD.

Thats my favourite area around there, i have ben skiing around that area now the last 3yrs and love it to bits, and the scenery is out of this world!!

Take a look at my video i have done from Colfosco last Jan.

http://youtube.com/v/lv2TlbFRIyw
snow conditions
Powder Mountain, Utah.
latest report
Grimentz
latest report
surfski - Like the video - it really is lovely there. We skied over to Colfosco early on New Years Day on our trip. I'm afraid I had to lie down in a cafe while everyone played. They woke me up for the ski back. That was my new years resolution that year.... never to lose any more ski time to a hangover rolling eyes Not broken it - 9 years on Razz

CD.
snow conditions
CP wrote:
angelaclark wrote:

Which bit of the Jura was that - French or Swiss?

Les Rousses, Col de la Faucille would have been on route if you were taking the back route in or out of Gex/Divonne on the border of CH near Geneva.

We did both. Past Dijon on the A26 and follow the signs for Geneva, then went over a big ridge which eventually ended up by the Swiss border. Came down near Geneva. La Rousses definietly sounds familiar.
snow report
chrisdavis, glad you like the video, its not my best video though and i feel a bit embarrassed sticking my arms out to much and trying to be a bird Laughing Embarassed

Keep up with the new years resolution. I did that yrs ago drinking too many one night, then i couldnt ski the next day properly Sad

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy