Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Route Calais- Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Wengen (first time) in Feb, driving from Calais. Advice please on best route? I guess options are down to Dijon and then across somehow, or going further east and down through Basel etc. Neither seems a particularly obvious route though...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The times I've done it (by coach), we've always come through Basel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wopple, we always use the same route from the AA from St Malo(France) to Lauterbrunnen.

http://www.theaa.com
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go via Reims and Strasbourg (I suggest overnighting at Reims if you need to) at Strasbourg hop over the river into Germany and take the Autobahn down through Basle as it saves having to dodge the Trams in Basle and the road is much better plus you end up on the right motorway once you cross the border, pay the money and use the Autoroutes as at that time of year they tend to be almost empty giving you a quick journey (relativly speaking). You might be tempted to avoid Strasbourg completely and go from Reims more or less straigt down to Basle, Don't do it ! The first 3/4 of the route is fine the last 1/4 is a series of hairpin bends with a steep drop off as you descend from the Haute Vouge (sp?) region, one mistake can ruin your journey or as in my case your vehicle, not a route to do at dusk in sub zero conditions with black ice all over the hairpins Shocked

The last bit of the Journey from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen can be a bit tricky but if you take things easy it's fine, don't be put off by local suddenly overtaking you on blind corners wink The turn off for the Lauterbrunnen multi story car pak is on your left just before you com into Lauterbrunnen itself, there is a covered bridge from the car park through to the railway station
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wopple, i suggest you reserve (free of charge) your car park space at -

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-250/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, how unpleasant is the process of actually getting up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen? Am self catering so will have a reasonable amount of stuff, plus ski's. I understand you can get an electric taxi from Wengen station? (we are staying near the English church BTW which I dont think is walking distance).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wopple, Getting up is easy, grab your kit stick it on a trolley (there's usually a few arround the car park or at worst the station) wheel it up to the platform and get onany of the yellow and green trains going up, all trains stop at Wengen. If you get there during daytime hours you may be directed by station staff to a particular train that might only go to Wengen and will be less busy, after about 6pm no trains go beyond Wengen anyway (normally), at Wengen get out and you will often find a Taxi available or you can call from the station,( I've used Wegmuller before and would again ), The english church is arround a 10 minute walk from the station and it's fairly flat.

Everywhere in Wengen is within walking distance from the station by the way though it make take up to 20 mins for some places wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wopple, have you seen the webcams in the region and the new dumping of snow that has just arrived snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Metz to Basel via Germany. Don't take the route south via Nancy as you will end up on silly roads and loose time.

8 and half hours at a pretty steady pace with no long stops. Averaging 80mph on the road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do the Basel - Reims route regularly and dispute that you will lose lots of time be going the direct route via Nancy. Also the N road passes over the Vosges are designed for heavy vehicles during the day and are very well engineered (although not that fast). In 2007, the tunnel at Sainte Maries Aux Mines will reopen and that will save quite a lot of time over the Vosges passes.

Basel-Reims in Viamichelin gives 04:20, 484km and E22.90 tolls for taking the autoroute and 04:46, 412km and E2.20 tolls for the direct (recommended) route over the Col de Bussang. I go via Bar le Duc and then North toward Reims on a very straight and fast D road (30km with no village). I reckon on 4:30. and am happy to save the toll money and fuel. It is also more scenic by day and less boring (i.e. less sleep inducing) at night.

Of course if you know the weather will be bad, stay on the autoroute. But I have been the direct way many times in the middle of winter without problems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wopple, make sure you buy a Vignettes (Motorway Tax) for Switzerland -

https://www.swisstravelsystem.com/uk/vignettes/index.php?partnerId=10

and warning triangle & snow chains
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wopple, whatever you do, follow the motorway and don't take the "direct" route (according to the map) like I did once...... took hours longer - nightmare - snow on the mountains, road bendy etc. etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nessy,

If you know that route, then ok but you'll need sat nav at the very least or a very good map reader. Our journey was complicated by a breakdown and I liked the supposed directness, but I wouldn't recommend it to a 1st time user in winter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, unfortunately no satnav and believe me, my map reader is useless Smile Hopefully my 7 year old can soon take over that responsibility. I am not a slave to saving toll money and consider the time saving on the Reims to Calais stretch worth the expense.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for the info but nessy, i reckon i will go motorway at least on the way there to hopefully ensure i actually get to Wengen without disasters. maybe on the way back though....
latest report
wopple, just trying to defend the poor old N whatever it is in case you have the impression that it is 400km of jeep track.
snow conditions
For those who might find it useful- just back from Wengen: on the way there, took the motorway route via Reims- Strasbourg- Germany - fast but a bit dull. On the way back did the N-roads over the Vosges etc as suggested by nessy, probably a little longer but a nice drive- though sad to see the ski resorts of the Vosges all deserted with zero snow. Further up the way, the road up to Reims via Bar-le-Duc is very fast and is an awesome driving road- just a shame I wasnt in a Porsche to make the most of it. On another note, enjoyed Wengen but will confess to being a tiny bit disappointed- resort was quieter than expected and didnt quite have the atmosphere I was expecting....
ski holidays
wopple, I'm glad i never suggested Murren to you then Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy