Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs, 2006/07

Poster: A snowHead
I don't mind rope-pulls (the one on the Carella run is the on'y one I've encountered) – it's drag lifts that I can't stand. Got the one above Belle Plagne (Leichtens or something like that) the other day and about 40m from the end, fell off (caught an edge) but managed to grab another pole that promptly sprung out of my hand, chipped my tooth and bust my lip! I was well cheesed of.... The skiers seem to love drags but I don't think they're well-suited to unfit snowboarders like myself!!!

There are a few flats on the bit between Plagne Bellecote and Plagne Centre (the Mira run in lower parts is bad for beginners) and you really need to keep your speed up at all times. The unfortunate thing we suffered last week were 'packs' of skiers all hanging around on the flats, blocking the runs. They didn't seem to realise that boarders need to keep their speed up on flats and find it hard to negotiate a run that has a wall of skiers in the way Sad .... maybe someone could invent a telescopic ski pole that boarders can keep to hand for those bits when we slow down.... it'd be like a load of gondolas on snow!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Didn't make it down to Montchavin. Went down Montalbert way (the alpine runs were nice but too tight for boarders AND skiers) and Champany, whihc was absolutely brillinat. The Carella run and then the Levisats to Verdons Sud are nice for all abilities. Can't wait to get back there...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a lovely long run with lots of banking turns down to the top of the Montchavin bubble. Bijolin/Pierres Blanches. A good 15 minutes, down through the trees Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clara_jo, Its all in the timing - not great when you're in a rush to catch the last Vanoise Express home - Pierre Blanches gets horribly busy Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Travelling out on Friday night for 2 weeks in 1950 - all these positive snow reports are really exciting!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kaydee,

many English owners of apartments in 1950 will also be there for that two week stint ( including us!) and the Tour des Vins wine shop and bar tends to be an 'ex-pat' hang out.

(It is also smoke free as Tim and Richard who run it wish to present best conditions for their numerous wine tasting opportunities..).

They try to close at 9pm, but rarely succeed!

Maybe see you there...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will try - but the difficulty is getting a late pass from my good lady!! although I suppose the 13 yr old could look after the 6 yr old for an hour or so!!
We're owners too - HdG. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kaydee wrote:
We're owners too - HdG. Smile

Excellent - it seems that snowHeads are slowly buying Les Arcs, apartment by apartment Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geri, I can imagine... fortunately I was doing it at 11 am, on the way to get the bubble back down to Montchavin. I'd just grabbed a sneaky last morning's skiing before lunch and heading home.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all, I'm out to Paradiski this weekend, is there anybody out there now who could tell me what the local forecast looks like until Sunday?

Merci beau!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimW wrote:
kaydee,

many English owners of apartments in 1950 will also be there for that two week stint ( including us!) and the Tour des Vins wine shop and bar tends to be an 'ex-pat' hang out.

(It is also smoke free as Tim and Richard who run it wish to present best conditions for their numerous wine tasting opportunities..).

They try to close at 9pm, but rarely succeed!

Maybe see you there...

Are there particular days when the gathering happens? or is a general every night experience!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done a couple of season's worth of boarding in Les Arcs, and about 20 days in La Plagne. La Plagne definitely has more flats which are a pain for beginner/intermediate. Only really three places in Les Arcs that are too flat - the centre of 2000, the piste from the top of the main 1800 lift - Vagere - to the board park and the start of Malgovert in 1600. Went to La Plagne every now and again when did a full Les Arcs season but mainly just for a change of scene. The riding is definitely better in Les Arcs.

Just back after two weeks in Les Arcs. Arrived for the best snow of the season Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I keep popping back to this thread because I have fallen in love with Les Arcs and like reading about it. We definitely lucked out, didn't we, with the snow? I was there 22-26 March.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heading out to 1950 on Saturday 7th for a week. How's the snow holding up folks?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
matthew wrote:
Heading out to 1950 on Saturday 7th for a week. How's the snow holding up folks?

Well I am in resort right now, not Les Arcs but Villaroger which is an outpost of the Les Arcs ski area.

There is sheds loads of snow above 1800 mtrs, skiing is spring like as you would expect. It has been warm but it did cloud over this afternoon and was snowing lightly, but only as a shower or two.

We are having to download on the Replat chair to get back to Villaroger but there is good snow cover up to around the Soliet restaurant level.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some of the weather forcasts suggest the temperature may be rising up to about 13C Friday at 1600. Are the local forecasts saying that too?
ski holidays
matthew, I would be more worried at +15c on Monday and freezing level at 2700m Shocked
ski holidays
boredsurfin, bikini skiing then. Or will it be Bikini White Water Rapids?
snow report
matthew, nope, go early and go high, enjoy long late lunch low Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The cameras this morning show a light dusting over 1950 and it still looks white out at the top. Come on weather! Turn cold'n'nasty for the end of this week!
latest report
Update - it snowed down to around 1400 mtrs this morning, starting on Replat chair its was raining - quickly turned to snow before the end of the lift ride.

White out conditions most of the morning with snow, probably a couple of inches on most pistes. We took late lunch in 1600 at the Arcette ( I think ) and when we left at 3 it had stopped snowing and the cloud had started to disperse. Sun came out but the wind picked up big time. Manage a few off piste pitches which were great and finished off piste just under the avalanche barriers above Villaroger which was soft and had snow to about 6 inches in places.

Day out to everybodies favourite resort, La Rosiere, tomorrow if the link to Italy is open. Rascard for lunch snowHead

As boredsurfin says, go early and go high there is plenty of snow above 1800 mtrs.
ski holidays
CP wrote:
the Arcette ( I think )

The Arpette (big self service place). Thanks for the snow report, I arrive tomorrow and conditions sound excellent for April Smile
latest report
We lunched twice in Arpette (full waiter service both times) - once getting toasty and warm by the fire, once out on the terrace in full sun. Great views...
snow conditions
clara_jo, it's nice in the table service part isn't, especially on freezing days when that huge fire is most welcoming Smile
ski holidays
CP, You have to go to Aguille Rouge restaurant in Villaroger - but you might need to book it
latest report
geri wrote:
CP, You have to go to Aguille Rouge restaurant in Villaroger - but you might need to book it
Been there quite a few times - but will be at La Ferme tomorrow evening - and in about an hour for a beer snowHead

Great day out in La Ros and La Thuile, snow in the pass was excellent - big big queues in La Ros for the Fort chair this morning - so don't let anybody kid you La Ros does not get congested.
latest report
A lovely day; warm, sunny, good snow, and not too busy. A perfect Good Friday!

Typical late season conditions on piste, with slopes up to about 2000m quite crisp from yesterday's thaw and then a freeze overnight. By mid morning the snow was softening nicely. Above this altitude conditions are still excellent, and the soft snow gives you great confidence to get onto the ski's edges and let them run Smile It's surprisingly quiet for a school holiday, with no or only very short queues only. By late afternoon snow below 2000m is getting very soft with occasional patches of slush.

Jane and I had a leisurely start as there didn't seem any point to rush out for the icy conditions first thing, so we sat on the balcony and admired the mountains:

Conditions above Arc 2000 were perfect this morning, although I didn't get to sample to off-piste (the Grand Col was looking very tempting:

Had lunch in Arc 1950 and spotted the biggest St Bernard dog I've ever seen. He was very sweet:

It was very warm by midday, too warm for Jane in fact (seen here wearing too many clothes):

The snowpark was once again in full swing, with some pretty impressive kids doing their stuff:

But having said all that, this is getting close to the end of the season as the snowline on the south facing side of Tarentaise shows:
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Good stuff rob@rar, how long are you out for this time ? We're off to Switzerland on Sunday for a week, can't wait ! Looks like staying high will be best, some rain/snow coming Monday and Tuesday by the looks of things Confused

The missus doesn't share your penchant for hi-vis clothing I see wink
snow report
brian, out here for a week, the home for a week before traveling to the EOSB and, finally, the end of the season. I'll be quite glad to pack away my kit for the summer.

Jane has a tasty white outfit, but for some reason prefers the green. Women! I'll never understand them...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
....... Women! I'll never understand them...

Why should you be the first?
snow report
Looks great rob@rar! And here's us basking in temps of 20+C ...... (which is very nice though Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
rob@rar, Makes me feel quite homesick Crying or Very sad Have a great time & keep up the reports Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks for the stunning pics again, Rob Smile Hm, Apocalypse Park - had a bit of a scary moment there a couple of weeks ago. My 4-year-old nephew saw a piste basher and went hell-for-leather down the piste after it. We took a wrong turn (where the pistes fork at the top), cut across some powder to catch up with him and the other (adult) boys only to hear "Get out of the bloody way!" because we'd ended up in Apocalypse Park without knowing it (and dangerously close to the wrong side of a jump). 6-year-old niece took it all in her stride though - while my sister and I were behaving like headless chickens, she just leapt up on a rail, skied along it & jumped off to be faced with my sister saying "where on earth did you learn to do THAT?" Spirit 1950 apparently, folks!
latest report
Another lovely day here, but a little bit icier in the morning and slushier at the end of the afternoon. Blue skies pretty much all day, although beginning to cloud over a little now. Warm temperatures all day, with snow below 1900m very sloppy from midday onwards. Very quiet around the resort, but more traffic heading up the valley so I guess the easter hordes are about to arrive.

Spent a fun couple of hours in the snow park (on the kiddie skiercross course and the green jumps) and hunting out gentle slushy bumps (found lots). It's great to watch one or two of the good freestylers who have grace and control even when they're 20 feet up in the air.
snow report
rob@rar, Jus back from the easter week, stayed at the Chantel apartments and were not disappointed. Conditions exactly as you describe, bit of a dump on the Tues/Weds and glorious sun thereafter. Saw the monster st Bernard at 1950, must be a resident. He doesn't look quite so big in your pic, I think he was half dog / half horse Laughing .

Will post some pix but just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation, was our first time in les arcs and enjoyed it very much. Favourite pistes were Belette and Les Rhodos off Plan Bois (beautiful, tree lined, and nearly empty even at half term??? Very Happy ) least favourite was 'refuge' off the Grand Col. - Icy mogulled nightmare (so we let the kids try it out Very Happy ).

Did anyone else find the place surprisingly 'quiet'? I expected busy slopes and lifts but for the mostpart (particular between 1 and 3) the pistes over at the Vallandry side were empty Very Happy .
latest report
AxsMan, glad you enjoyed it in Les Arcs and in the accommodation here. I skied the Grand Col today - the piste was softened a bit from the warm weather and the bumps weren't too big so pleasant skiing, but even so the off-piste either side was more pleasant.

Conditions are still very good, although the slow deterioration of the snow continues as the warm weather takes it's toll. Today was a bit cloudier but still plenty of lovely sunshine. Much busier today than yesterday as the second of the Easter-weekers were on the slopes, but only a couple of short queues at some of the lift bottlenecks, and plenty of quiet pistes to be skied. Generally it's much quieter around the resort than I thought it would be. From about 10.30am to 3pm snow conditions on piste are wonderfully soft but not slushy, higher slopes being much nicer than lower slopes.
ski holidays
AxsMan, The Belette/Rhodos runs are my favourite too Toofy Grin

You wouldnt catch me alive on Refuge Skullie

Glad you had a good time & I look forward to your pics Very Happy

Incidently, around 2pm, did you see the crazy french man on his converted snowboard, monoskiing down under the 2300 lift in Vallandry?? Conspicuous by his handlebar moustache, all in one suit - pink in Jan, red in March, shoulder height poles & amazing wiggle Laughing Laughing Laughing He has apparently been there every sunny afternoon all season & its the only run he does. I think he loves the reaction he gets from the chairlift Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
CP wrote:
the Arcette ( I think )

The Arpette (big self service place). Thanks for the snow report, I arrive tomorrow and conditions sound excellent for April Smile

Correction....................

It was the Chalet de L'Arcelle in 1600

Very nice food and good service.

The other restaurant that we liked was the Cordee, it was a bit of a muddy trek to get there last week but worth it snowHead
snow conditions
Rob and anyone else still out here - great skiing in the Grand Col this morning - refuge moguls a little hard towrads the bottom, b ut as the sun got to them, became more consistent all the way down. Getting slushy down at 1950 level by lunchtime.

Fyi, There is a new boardercross track alongside Plan Verte which is far better, and far less crowded than the one beside Vallee de l'Arc - you cna actually get some air!

Yesterday comborciere and Malgovert were in fine form later on, and we have been hunting out the quiet areas of the resort ( such as Mont Blanc down to 1600 ) where it has been possible even during the holiday weekend to stand, listen to the birds and for at least 3 minutes not have a single skier go past.

On the radio this morning it said ( if my French is good enough) that the Fohn was expected at the Italian border by tomorrow, and given the high temperatures we have already had, a snow eater is the last thing we need. Still, it is April 10th what can you expect?!

Anyone around the 2000 bowl for the next few days or in 1950 give us a wave or a call.

Jim +8
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy