Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs, 2006/07

Poster: A snowHead
........ variation on Cul Du Nant yesterday was SPECIAL......! Very Happy

Some snow last night ...prob; about 10 - 15 cm and temperatures dropping

..... snowing now, as I finish my sandwich (Pannini Jambon et fromage for all those that are interested ...)

gwaelod, ..... good timing I reckon.... Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Pannini Jambon et fromage for all those that are interested

Thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC wrote:
........ variation on Cul Du Nant yesterday was SPECIAL......! Very Happy

Some snow last night ...prob; about 10 - 15 cm and temperatures dropping

..... snowing now, as I finish my sandwich (Pannini Jambon et fromage for all those that are interested ...)

gwaelod, ..... good timing I reckon.... Very Happy

Appreciate the update. Looks like the gods knew we were coming snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The cameras do suggest that there's been snow the last couple of nights. Anyone out there?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
matthew wrote:
The cameras do suggest that there's been snow the last couple of nights. Anyone out there?

Not out there until later this week, but Meteo France are reporting 30+ cm of fresh snow at 3,000m in the last day or two. Temperatures are considerably lower than they have been of late, and more snow is forecast over the next few days Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes it is certainly snowing out there now. Left the region on Sunday and have it on good authrity that the heavens opened yesterday and more this week. Trying to sort my return next week!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mouth,
Quote:

Trying to sort my return next week

Twisted Evil Not envious at all, oh no no no!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just returned from a long weekend. Fresh snow Sunday night. Monday morning was great - fresh snow and good light. Monday afternoon more snow and white out conditions. Tuesday morning fresh tracks, poor light but still great fun. Left resort late afternoon and it was snowing at valley level as we drove out towards Lyon airport...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod, I'll second that - anybody out there with an update please?

I have been watching a web cam located in Villaroger and it seems that snow has fallen a few nights during the week but has melted by the afternoon. This is only at 1200 m of course so should not be a worry.

This time next week we will be enroute snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A brilliant morning! We've had light snowfall and low temperatures for the last couple of days, following on from the more substantial snow earlier in the week. Today the sun has come out, it's slightly warmer and the skiing is superb. The on-piste conditions are perfect, and the easy to reach off-piste is very enjoyable with a layer of soft, fluffy stuff on top of a firm base. If you are prepared to traverse away from the pistes there are fresh tracks and light cut-up powder to be enjoyed. I'm back for an early lunch and to rest my weary legs (the result of trying to keep up with Kramer a couple of days ago as we blasted around Val d'Isere!) Here are some photos from this morning:

On piste first thing was perfect

The Les Arcs SnowPark has some monster jumps on it

Looking across to the Grand Col where I spent most of the morning. Best skiing was to the right of this photo, following a longish traverse.

Fresh tracks (mine Smile)

Even nicer snow was available for those prepared to hike a little

I couldn't find a smiley with a big enough grin, so I included this self-portrait which sums up the morning
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Nice - I just hope it does not get too warm this coming week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob

Just literally got back from 3 days in La Plagne and Les Arcs.

High up Thursday and Friday were biiterly cold and lots of new snow. Yesterday as you describe above was amazing. The 2000 bowl was particularily great as there was lots of off pisters to watch.

More snow due this week and due to remain relatively cold. Wow!!

We were there first week of January and there condistions were a lot, lot better this week.

Of for a cup of tea. Amazing what damage you can do to a body in 3 days with no kids. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another nice day, mostly under hazy sunshine. On-piste conditions are still excellent; below 1700m it was a bit crisp first thing but softened as the day went on, and above that altitude most pistes are in excellent condition except for one or two patches swept bare by skiers and boarders sliding sideways down terrain that is beyond their ability (why do they do it? No fun for them, and ruins the snow for everyone else). The resort is quiet, with no lift queues anywhere and plenty of room on piste to go quick if you want.

I've been neglecting my piste skiing of late, so today I clicked into my slalom skis for the first time since mid-January. It took some time getting used to an 11.5m radius ski after mostly skiing on a 22m radius. The rate at which very large forces build up as you carve tight turns is quite scary! Spent most of the morning on the blues and reds above Peisey doing drills on some of the things I need to work on. The first part of the afternoon (before my legs ran out of energy Embarassed ) was spent around 1800 after I found unpleasantly high winds above Arc 2000. The weather (especially wind speeds) can be very different either side of the ridge that separates 2000 from the rest of the domain. If the weather is not so good it's often worth hopping over the ridge to see if it is better on the other side.

Said hello to Will in the Flying Squirrel at lunchtime. It's a terrific place for lunch as the couple of minutes it takes to walk from the piste seems to keep the place very quiet during the day, so excellent burgers at reasonable prices and comfortable sofas can be had away from the madding crowds around the rest of the resort. Will, good chap that he is, also offer a small discount to snowHeads Very Happy

No photos today as I knew I'd be skiing a bit too quick to feel comfortable carrying the camera. You'll just have to use your imagination...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

Great photos throughout this thread Rob,

I'm considering les arcs for my family holiday in 2008 (going to flaine next weeked so thats it for this year).

My wife has only ski'd for 2 weeks (flaine will be her 3rd) so needs plenty of gentle greens to build confidence.

We were looking in the 'where to ski and snowboard' bible and the piste map for les arcs had no greens although it was recommended as a great family/beginner option.

Which level/area(s) in les arcs could you suggest for a family holiday (my 11 and 6 yr old kids will have done 2 weeks) bearing in mind my wifes need for 'gentle greens'.

Cheers,

Hairy Boy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hairy Boy, all the villages would be OK, although Arc 1600 arguably has the least amount of easy terrain directly around it. I've never understood why some of the gentle blues here aren't marked as green runs because they would be green in other resorts that I've skied. My recommendation if you wanted to ski here would be Vallandry and use New Generation ski school, or Arc 1950 and use Spirit 1950 as you ski school. However, any of the villages would be OK for your family holiday. I think the resort is very good for family/beginner groups, as well as having world class piste and off-piste for good skiers to have fun with.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 25-03-07 21:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Hairy Boy, all the villages would be OK, although Arc 1600 arguably has the least amount of easy terrain directly around it. I've never understood why some of the gentle blues here aren't marked as green runs because they would be green in other resorts that I've skied. My recommendation if you wanted to ski here would be Vallandry and use New Generation ski school, or Arc 1950 and use Spiti 1950 as you ski school. However, any of the villages would be OK for your family holiday. I think the resort is very good for family/beginner groups, as well as having world class piste and off-piste for good skiers to have fun with.

Rob,

Agreed. The blues that cut across the runs on 1800 to Peisy are very, very easy and a great way to get about. La Foret in particular not my cup of tea but for the novice a lovely simple and long run.
snow report
Hairy Boy,

I can echo the comments of rob@rar and gwaelod with regards to Les Arcs as a great choice for both the seasoned and first time skier.

We were there a couple of years ago with 2 children for their first proper experience of skiing on snow and they loved it! There are numerous pistes shown as 'blue' which as Rob mentions should really be 'green' as they are very gentle indeed, I've never really understood the grading!

Les Arcs really is excellent with high wide open pistes or tree lined easy pistes around Vallandry, all suitable for beginners. Recommend a visit.
latest report
Just back from 2 FANTASTIC weeks in Peisey Vallandry snowHead Hot & sunny first week - but snow good up high. Last week it snowed most days & very cold, but great skiing - the piste even held out around resort level in the second week Toofy Grin Husband (much better skiier than me) had some good off piste trips - north face of Bellcote yesterday, with my brother (a snowboarder) - great powder apparently.

I became a year older while there & was given a great pair of skis - my first pair ever Toofy Grin - Attraxion 3's - they have to be the best skis I have ever been on.

For those worried about snow at Easter - well, its certainly a lot better now than in January, & my guess is that you will have a fantastic time.
latest report
6 days and counting...

we too were out in Jan, and it didn't seem too bad if you knew where to look, so all these reports are sounding good for our Easter fortnight!

Rob, we will catch up at some stage: when are you out until?

Hairy Boy
Agree there is definitely family skiing out there - I don't recall seeing a single green marked anywhere, but my 4 year old (as she was last year) made it from Arc 1950 to the Flying Squirrel in Peisey on blues for lunch with nae bother, (up Bois d L'Ours lift, then Arpette , Villards, Plan Bois) and indeed back again - down to 1800, Transarc, then round the 2000 valley blues (now there's a song title I could work with Wink) - Plan des Eaux, Vallee d l'Arc and Marmottes.

So you can get a fair way around the domain with limited experience. - and that does mean a small person, and hence limited strength (albeit limited fear too) with about 3 weeks of lessons under her belt.

And she also spent time with us ( outside lessons) on St Jacques, Plan Vertes, Edelwiess and Cascades in the 2000 part of the domain, which are all suitable for beginners. You can safely say there are plenty of things they can do.
snow report
There's a new sign by the Plan Bois lift saying that in December it will only take 5 mins to the top Toofy Grin Mind you,I think they had it running extra slow the last 2 weeks to make us appreciate it more next season Laughing
snow conditions
geri wrote:
There's a new sign by the Plan Bois lift saying that in December it will only take 5 mins to the top Toofy Grin Mind you,I think they had it running extra slow the last 2 weeks to make us appreciate it more next season Laughing

Yes, a new 6-pack will be installed over the summer. Not a moment too soon, the current lift there is the worst in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
rob@rar, The ultimate plan I'm told is to take the current Plan Bois lift & instal it right over in Peisey, near Shiva Bar - so above the TSD Peisey. 2008 though I think. It'll be good for the ski beat chalets there
snow report
geri, rob@rar, Are there any plans to extend the ski area, La Plagne wil extend by 20% by 2015
Details here,
Quote:

En plus des remplacements et des modernisations, le domaine skiable de la Plagne sera accru de 20% à l'échéance 2010/2015, par l'aménagement de secteurs actuellement vierges :

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/History.htm Scroll to the end of the history. Very Happy
snow report
geri wrote:
rob@rar, The ultimate plan I'm told is to take the current Plan Bois lift & instal it right over in Peisey, near Shiva Bar - so above the TSD Peisey. 2008 though I think. It'll be good for the ski beat chalets there

Yes I've heard that as well.

There are tentative plans to have a small extension to the Les Arc network off the back of Col de la Chal, but this encroches onto a nature reserve I think so unlikely to go ahead because of planning permission issues. Speaking personally I can't see any point in extending the domain - there's plenty of skiing available, even in peak times.
snow report
On-piste conditions are still perfect. Spent a happy morning testing my new headcam. Hopefully some video for you later. If anyone is looking for a last minute holiday here in Les Arcs you should grab the chance as conditions are the best they've been all season Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

Speaking personally I can't see any point in extending the domain - there's plenty of skiing available, even in peak times.

Oh good, I haven't even scratched the surface of Les arcs yet. (Please excuse the pun Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

Speaking personally I can't see any point in extending the domain - there's plenty of skiing available, even in peak times.

Oh good, I haven't even scratched the surface of Les arcs yet. (Please excuse the pun Toofy Grin )
latest report
rob@rar, Quick question, is the funicular fare covered on the ski pass? I was thinking of driving over rather than skiing to give more time to exploring Les Arc without the need to worry about the journey time back. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, Quick question, is the funicular fare covered on the ski pass? I was thinking of driving over rather than skiing to give more time to exploring Les Arc without the need to worry about the journey time back. Toofy Grin

Yes it's included.
snow report
rob@rar, Thanks for that, definitely an option Very Happy
latest report
Just got back from La Plagne and have to say that a dumping of snow is an understatement!

I don't know what Les Arcs got last week but I reckon there must have been a good 20 inches of snow dumped pver the seven days I was there - it just never stopped! It gave me a good chance to try out my 'off pisteing' without having to venture far from the marked runs (for safety reasons) and definitely made up for my January trip that was basically ice, ice and more ice!

Anyone heading out that way this week will be well pleased Very Happy
latest report
Specialman wrote:
It gave me a good chance to try out my 'off pisteing' without having to venture far from the marked runs (for safety reasons)

BTW I'm not having a go at you, just concernd for your safety. Your statement is a complete false sense of security, you are in as much danger "off piste" next to a marked run as you are miles from any marked run.

There have been fatalaties within feet of a marked piste pole Sad

Regards,

Greg
latest report
Although this morning the on-piste conditions were perfect, all the way down to Vallandry, this afternoon the relatively warm temperatures and sunny weather have really softened the snow. The snow was very sticky when skiing at low speeds, with that distinctive grab-release-grab feeling as the suction build up between ski and snow. Time for a warm wax I think.

No photos today, but as a special bonus I've got some video for you Wink I bought a helmetcam recently and today gave it a go for the first time. I've uploaded a bit of footage to snowMedia, but a few apologies: the video file is quite large as I don't have the right software on my laptop to compress it; the footage is quite long as I didn't have time to edit it down; and the sound is atrocious because of wind noise from the microphone. When I get home I'll do a better job of editing it and will sweeten the sound before re-posting. If anyone is thing of buying a helmetcam I'd say do it, as they are impressive little things Smile

Click here for video
ski holidays
rob@rar, thats fantastic - and great fun trying to work out which routes you were taking!

There'll be no stopping some of my friends getting one of those babies now!
ski holidays
Just spent a brilliant long weekend in Arc 1950. Conditions superb. Got a sneaky last morning's skiing in this morning in La Plagne (stayed with friends down the hill last night once we left Les Arcs). Fresh snow up high Very Happy

Oh, and now that I've been, an extra thanks for these photos - I absolutely loved this resort. It will always hold a special place in my heart now, because it's where I did my first black!! (As seen in the above photo of Grand Col). And yeah, maybe it's an easy one, but hell, I feel chuffed to bits.
snow conditions
clara_jo wrote:
Just spent a brilliant long weekend in Arc 1950. Conditions superb. Got a sneaky last morning's skiing in this morning in La Plagne (stayed with friends down the hill last night once we left Les Arcs). Fresh snow up high Very Happy

Oh, and now that I've been, an extra thanks for these photos - I absolutely loved this resort. It will always hold a special place in my heart now, because it's where I did my first black!! (As seen in the above photo of Grand Col). And yeah, maybe it's an easy one, but hell, I feel chuffed to bits.

Glad you enjoyed the resort. You shouldn't underplay your achievement in skiing the Grand Col black as it has a couple of genuinely steep pitches on it Smile
ski holidays
kitenski, appreciate your concerns and rightly so, you have raised a good point.

What I meant was doing a little alpine run into Plagne Centre alongside the Colorado run - it's 'technically' off-piste but is more like proper run that's have been compacted down but with some loose stuff to make you look like you know when you spray it all over!! Plus, it had loads of humps and bumps to practise ollies and jumps off Very Happy Very Happy

That was my second week boarding so I wasn't going to do the full on powder fields below Les Verdons – we sat and watched boarders going down and despite it looking mighty cool, it looked scary as hell!!! Think I'll invest in a guide when i decide to do the offf-piste thing properly.

Did my first black run though on the last day (Mercedes down from Les verdons) and it was like off-piste despite it being a marked run; the snow was waist deep in places and the moguls were like mini-Mt Everests!!! Scared the pants off me but it was a rush at the same time - I don't think I'll be rushing back to do blacks though.

How does Les Arcs fare in comparison to La Plagne? People have said to me that that La Plagne is more of a skier's resort because many of the runs are mogul-filled and there are some horrendous flat bits that really slow boarders down. I didn't mind this but is Les Arcs better sited to boarding (i.e: less moguls and flats)?

I like that fact that La Plagne is concentrated around Plagne Bellecote and Plagne Centre, being not too widepsread. Looking at the piste map, Les Arcs looks very spread out and a lot of hassle to get from one village to the next. Is this a problem or am I just redaing too much into things?
ski holidays
Specialman, I think there are fewer flats in Les Arcs than there are in La Plagne, but as I'm not a boarder I can't speak from personal experience about how the two resorts compare. Les Arcs has it's fair share of runs which are left to develop bumps, but there are always alternative routes or lines which are pisted more often. It's very easy to get around Les Arcs and between the different villages; I've always thought that it was more compact than La Plagne, but perhaps that's because I know this side of the Paradiski better than the La Plagne side.
snow report
Specialman wrote:
kitenski,

I like that fact that La Plagne is concentrated around Plagne Bellecote and Plagne Centre, being not too widepsread. Looking at the piste map, Les Arcs looks very spread out and a lot of hassle to get from one village to the next. Is this a problem or am I just redaing too much into things?

I thought the same about La Plagne compared to Les Arcs but now that I am getting to know La Plagne as well neither is more spread out than the other. The truth is that they are but vast resorts. They definitely have a different feel but hard to differentiate between them really
snow report
I was in Les Arcs with skiers, and La Plagne yesterday morning with a boarder. His comment was that he was pleasantly surprised that they had pisted all the runs, so he had no problems (one of the narrow reds we went down early morning can apparently bump up quite badly later on). Also, we did have to use a couple of rope pulls in La Plagne. We went from Montchavin down at 1250m up to the Roche de Mio, down into Plagne Bellecote. From a personal point of view (although admittedly I can only speak for the bits we covered) there were too many flats. But yesterday's snow almost made up for it.

Les Arcs was fab. We sought out the bumps, but there seemed to be enough runs without. Plus, I heard good things about the Apocalypse Parc, and the boarder cross area just off to the side of the Arcabulle lift was fun (niece and nephew raced it on skis). Well-connected lifts, with no rope pulls, no drags, no need for poling - ideal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy