Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
1 long restless shut eye before ...yes you guessed it....YIPPEE off to the snow,early start 8.40 flight,all packed and would like to leave now,think we might drive next family hol!! thanks to all for info supplied will take some pics to post,
and to all readers who will be back to work monday morn,we'll be thinking of you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shorty, dont come on here telling us your problems !! Enjoy it ! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blueyedgirl, As you are self catering no doubt you will want to try some of the places to eat in the town so you will be going there anyway. For us we were eating in the hotel at 7.30 every night so there wasn't much time to get to the town by the time we got in, got children organised had showers etc.

Let us know what the places to eat are like in case we go self-catering next time. Can't remember when you are going - maybe tomorrow? Have a great time anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am also off on MAR 17th. staying in La choucas with snoworld, 7am from LGW , then 4 hours on the spaz bus up the hill.
the snow looks brilliant. I am going with a snowboader, so might need a ski buddy if things dont work out.
I just need to get rid of this stupid sore throat and annoying cough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aidancostello,

Hopefully we will try lots of different places (unless we find one we really like and end up eating there all the time wink ). Will certainly let you know how we get on!

We are going nex weekend, little concerned about the high temperatures forecast for this coming week but hopefully it wont affect the snow conditions too much.

Was there snow at resort level while you were there and how was the skiing back to the accommodation?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There was snow at resort level and you could ski all the way back to the accommodation. If you read up some will say that unless you are a good skier you shouldn't ski back but should go back in the gondola. There is a run which is easy to ski all the way back. Red run 7. Very boring (I think) but the children will like it. It is about 7km. I think you have seen soem post sbaout it earlier on in this thread (or maybe ona La Thuile thread). Apologies La Ros fans looking for snow reports - we do seem to have hijacked this board. Anyone in La Ros will find La Thuile info useful hopefullu (and vice versa). There are also some black runs you can take back which are fun.

The first five days we were there were really sunny but the snow held up very well. There had been a lot of snow the week before we went. There was lots on our last day skiing and the day we were returning. Sure you will have no problems with the snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I certainly wouldn't tackle any of the blacks back to the town, but as you say red 7 is a doddle with just a couple of short sections with a slope. The route back via red 6 , Nuova, (the far side of the resort to piste 7 is a lovely red and should not be missed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, agreed that number 6 is a lovely run back to the town. Don't know the standard of skiers in Blueeyedgirl's group but I wouldn't write off the blacks. We are not experts (once a year skiers) by any means and we managed them. I wouldn't take children unless they are very confident though. There is one very steep bit on one of the blacks which is about as steep as anything I've been on. Think it was number 3 and it was a 74% gradient at one point? Exciting! The rest of it wasn't too bad though. It never gets very narrow AND steep which is what I always hate. Me and snow-ploughing just don't get on so I don't like anything too narrow!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aidancostello,

We are by no means expert skiers but are confident on fairly difficult reds (we've accidentally ended up on a black or two whilst skiing and managed to cope!). We'll try both the reds back to town and see which we prefer! I must admit narrow AND steep are not my favourite either although my 12 year old daughter doesn't seem to be phased by anything!!
So looking forward to going now, once again many thanks for all your help and excellent information. I almost feel like i know the place already Smile Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blueyedgirl, Try both reds back. Think you will prefer 6 but feel I have been a bit harsh on poor old 7 now. Either ois a better a;lternative to taking yoru skis off and getting teh gondoal back to twon - no way to end teh day when there are runs as an alternative....Don't write off doing the blacks. Nothing was very narrow. There is one pretty steep bit but it is very wide. You can traverse it till yoiu are about half way down and then go into a schuss - I wouldn't try teh schuss from teh top! Its brilliant! If you have done difficult reds I'm sure you will be confident after a few days. I'm sure some reds in Frabnce will be nore difficult than teh blacks in La Thule. Alwayts perplexed by teh gradings in different resorts/countries. Maybe let your daughter lead the way! She sounds more adventurous than my 11 year old daughter! Now I must do some work - easily distracted....Have a great time!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dupes, I stayed in Choucas in December in the opening week - you'll have a great time! Great chalet, fantastic views and a very therapeutic jacuzzi bath in each room! Who could ask for more? Great chalet staff too - if nothings changed we had Sam and Ella (commonly referred to as Salmonella!!) who were brilliant and to whom I credit the half stone I managed to put on during that week! I tried to rebook there again for this trip, but it was full Sad so I'm going with Crystal instead - oh well - at least there's some snow for this trip! Only four days to go now.......!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aidancostello,

Thanks again.. You have boosted my confidence already!! Will give the blacks a go!! I'm sure my daughter will manage to persuade me anyway wink

Let you know how we get on when we return Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blueyedgirl, The safety netting is excellent on the descents into La Thuile wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman,

That makes me feel a whole lot better Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blueyedgirl, avoid 3 unless you are feeling very confident. V steep (but not narrow).
latest report
Charli939, Excellant, lots of snowheads in resort at the same time . I cant wait, shame its so sunny this week, but the temps seem to be around freezing so snow should stay in good condition.
Thanks Charlie for the tip, another Hants based skier as well! I always used to self drive and self cater, But now i earn a little more , i have seen the light , and get late deal chalets. It is supposed to be a holiday afteer all, not an exercise in saving money.
We need a secret sign perhaps a code word.? I will be on a set of Salomon streetracer 10's 170cm. Having a hissy fit if little french kids in ski helmets scratch the hell out the tops in any lift queues. Or carving hard , well trying too..............
See You There Rob DuPre (in a CPFC beanie) Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Nick L,

Will leave that one for the last day then (just in case!) Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Blueyedgirl, Frosty the Snowman, Nick L, Just saw my last post and all the awful typos - apologies. Three is steep in one place in particular from what I can remember. It is wide though. Anyway you may end up skiing with others who do it during the week and will be able to tell you if it is suitable or maybe an instructor can let you know. I'm not a brilliant skier (about ten ski holidays I think) but I can get down most things. As long as you can turn and stop I always think you can get down pretty much everything on piste as long as you can conquer it mentally. If it is difficult you can then break it down into achievable bite-sized pieces.

On the other hand my wife is much more cautious and wouldn't enjoy that run I suspect. Whether you do it or not have a great time. There are lots of runs so you will have lots of other choices. I'd come back down on A run to the town at the end of the day whether it be the reds or the blacks in preference to conceding defeat to the gondola unless conditions are very bad! Would hate to urge you to do a black that is not appropriate but I would think most people with a confident attitude of reasonable intermediate level or above could do it. You seem pretty confident from your posts and runs you have done before. Certainly don't want to come across as irresponsible and am now paranoid that if you have a fall on that run it will be my fault. The old Catholic guilt complex kicking in....
ski holidays
aidancostello,

Have no fear i certainly would not blame you!! wink I'm sure we will be fine, we have both skied once ar twice a year (our 2nd trip this year!) for the last 7 years and are pretty confident, although as i said before we normally give the blacks a miss unless by accident! But from the information that i have been given on this thread I feel that this trip may be the one to take the plunge (!) and give the blacks a go Smile

Thank you everyone who has helped, i feel very well informed now and very excited about going Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
one last tip! Not sure if I mentioned this already.

We used to come out of the gondola exit to the right of the building and ski down to a lift called (?) Superchalet from what I can remember. This would get us half-way up the mountain. Then we would ski back down the mountain a bit and join one of two chairlifts to the top. This was a bit of a painful way of getting to the top each day.

Near the end of our holiday we realised that if you ski to the left of the gondola building a little bit and take a turn to the right (rather than carrying on down the mountain) there is chairlift that takes you to the top and joins up with lots of nice runs. It is signed but I can’t remember the name. After dropping children at ski school I would suggest this is the best option rather than spending the first part of your morning on three lifts.

This is also the best way to head over to La Ros. You would probably be smart enough to work this out from the piste may - despite being reasonably intelligent adults we didn't! Having said that I barely looked at the piste,map being lazy and left it all to one of my friends I ski with to do all the map reading!
snow conditions
The lift to the right is the Chalets Express and the one to the left is Chaz Dura Express. This year they have put a halfway stop in on the Chaz Dura Express and you can join it from the top of the Chalets Express when it is quiet, dont bother if it is busy.
snow conditions
aidancostello,

Thank you again... Thats really good to know, i'm not very good at refring to the piste map either so this could save us lots of valuable skiing time!

I am now fully informed and raring to go!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman and Blueyedgirl, the Chaz Dura Express mid-station was not operational for all of our week there. However the chairs slow down and make their little squiggle and your skis are in contact with the snow.

A WORD OF WARNING: If you have ski pole tucked down between your skis at this point they will get broken Sad as happened to me - the lifties still seemed to be all stood around as though the lift were going to stop - but probably principally to laugh at punters who snapped their poles. As mine snapped I saw a small pile beside the lifties shed.
snow conditions
Thanks to everybody for their advice. Very Happy I have made loads of notes and will take them all with me!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I was told by a ski instructor that it is unlikly that the ability to get off mid or on mid-station is unlikly to occur this season at Chaz Dura (that's what it wasd called! thanks Nick/Frosty).

The good thing is just being able to get to the top of the mountain on it rater than the htwo legged trip via Chalets Express. As Nick says be careful of the skis and poles making contact at that mid-section! Think I nearly had a wrong'un there too.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I know you are one of the biggest La Ros fans there is but your knowledge of La Thuile is impressive. You must spend a fair amount of your trips skiing in La Thuile.......
snow report
should have read -

it is unlikely that the ability to get off or on mid-station will occur this season at Chaz Dura
snow conditions
aidancostello, Thank you, but I do have a mind for remembering minor detail (have you seen my keys?). I see it as one big area. If the weather is good we have always headed for Italy. La Thuile has the better and more varied skiing but I really like the set up of La Rosiere Village. It is compact pleasant, and often very sunny with fabulous views.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am determined to make more use of La Ros if we go next Feb having received your tip on minimising the number of drag lifts. Can't blame my friend for not having a better route having been too lazy (and useless at reading maps) to look at it myself. When I did end up skiing on my own for an hour or so after we got split up I just followed signs rather than looked at the map. The map really is the last resort for me whether it be in a car or on piste! Pathetic really....
snow report
aidancostello, I presume you are male then wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, although men like to laugh at how women can't read maps I must confess I am not a real man as I can't read them and my wife (on the contrary) is a very good navigator!
latest report
Oh and if you're a long-legged punter who can't get their legs on the rest, do make sure that your shins are not behind the rest on your way through that mid-station. Fortunately, mine did not snap like ski poles, but still, ow!
snow report
TallTone, and I thought that I had made a serious error - ouch!
ski holidays
dupes, Ohhhhhh last working day and only a partial sleep left!!! I shall look out for the beanie (i'm assuming its blue??) and try very hard not to run over your streetracers in the queue!! I shall be the girl with the long dark hair in a green/white HH jacket... usually found face down in the powder just slightly off piste having accidentally ventured too far to the side.....!! Embarassed If it is still Sam and Ella at the chalet - tell them Nicky from their first week sends her love! A big THANK YOU to all of you for the help and advice - its going to make a big difference getting over to La Thuile and cutting out half the drags! Can't wait to get over there and test it out now.......!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Charli939, Yep , Blue beanie, small red and blue logo. will look out for your off piste antics. Off to Surrey now to stay at Mums, shes on her own so its a nice way to check she's ok , then taxi at stupid o clock to LGW. Will mention you to Sam and Ella , if they are still looking after the place. My friends who are in resort now say the snow is excellant , and cover good in France and Italy. Yeah no more work for a week , Hurrah
ski holidays
It started snowing last night, it's been forecast for days, so after six days of sunshine last week we're back to winter with a vengence, there must be 30 cms on the terrace now and it can stay there, I'm not clearing it again. Forecast is for snow all week, temperatures have dropped and the freeze level was down to 1,000 metres this AM, with any luck all the lower runs will be open again. Too windy for the link to Italy today but I saw that most of La Thuile's runs were closed this morning, there's a higher risk of avalanches on some of their slopes. Anyone out here next week will have superb snow conditions.Frosty the Snowman, had a couple of Bombardinos and we've found another good restuarant, La Bricole.
snow conditions
Hi David@traxvax, good to hear that la Ros is getting a top-up.
latest report
Nick L, It looks like a bit more than a top-up, winter is back, what a strange season, like April in Feb, 20+ degrees last week and now well into minus figures.
latest report
Hi David, looks like you may be right and we wil have decent conditions at easter....can I finally rest easy and stop watching the web cam daily?
snow conditions
ollski, I left this morning in a blizzard and it snowed all the way to Grenoble, so the weather looks pretty widespread, the local forecast as of yesterday, was for snow all week, with very low temperatures -12 this AM, with no clear days until Sat. The freezing level was way down today so hopefully the lower runs will all re-open for a few more weeks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy