Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
Charli939, there are three ways into the main bowl of la Thuile:
Up the two Bellecombe drags (not 3);
Up the Fourclaz Express (Frosty's suggested detour to the bottom of Picollo San Bernado has two advantages - the restaurant at the bottom has the best hot chocolate, the best panini and the best bombardinos Shocked - also you can flatter yourself by skiing from the top of the Picollo San Bernado lift down a black (23 - Touriasse) which was easier than the parallel mogully red last week, and then cut accroos to the bottom of Fourclaz);
All the way down 7 (San Bernado) - which has the advantage of being the best way to approach le Rascard restaurant which is signposted off to the left shortly after piste 2 joins.

Have a great time Charli939 - we did.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blueyedgirl,

Mark would probably be happy to recommend restaurants to you. he suggests self catering at the Planibel to have an opportunity to try lots of good places to eat. As there 22 of us eating in the hotel was easier than trying to find restaurants that would take all of us. There was absolutely loads of snow the last two days we were there. Don't know what the weather forecast is but I'm sure you will have a great time with enough snow. We had lovely sunshine for five of our six ski days
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aidancostello,

We are hoping to find some nice retaurants, we usually go half board so this time it will be good to be able to try something different! Mark sounds like a good guy to know!!
Glad you had a good time and such lovely weather. I think there is rain forecast for the coming week and next weekend low down but hopefully the snow depths will be enough to withstand it.. Hopefully snow up top!! And there's still a couple of weeks to go so plenty of time for more to fall Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much for the directions - I really struggle with working out what is uphill/downhill on that middle section of the piste map. Looking at it now with the instructions, it all makes sense and I wonder why I couldn't see it before! As Mr Tarrant says.... its only easy if you know the answer! Thanks for being my 'phone a friend'!! Reading all these posts is getting my feet all twitchy now... only 17 days to go now... waheyy!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charli939, happy to help a fellow "Hampshire Hog".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are off for our first visit to la Rosiere this weekend, looking forward to it, weather condition forecast are variable dont think we will be as lucky as last year when we had great snow conditions and 6 days of glorious sun (mind you we did go to Serbia so something good had to come of it).
Have read this thread with interest and be putting the reccommendations to the test my wife and daughter looking forward to the hot chocolate, it better be good.

Flying into Geneva anyone have experience of the coach trip expecting to need a fully charged Ipod for the journey!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just booked late with Ski Olympic to stay in the Quatre Saisons w/c 11/3. Can't wait!

Was going to book lessons with Evo 2, but we're one skier and one snowboarder and their website says they only do snowboard lessons in the afternoon, so that wouldn't really splice! Anyone got any experience of snowboard lessons in La Ros?

Also, does anyone know what ski rental shop ski olympic use? Any advice on whether we should pre-book direct with them or pre-book with twinners?

Anyway, lot's of great info to take away with me thanks to all you guys! Can't wait - just hope it dumps next week just before we arrive - was spoiled last year by over 1 metre in the village (Kopaonik, Serbia)...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lumypie, Welcome to Snowheads. Coach trip is 3 hrs ish and is ........................crap. Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ctrlbreak, welcome to the site - I think the only other school was ESF... although you could try private lessons? You may find (say) three one-hour private lessons more beneficial than a week in a group. Arrange your ski & board at the same time and Robert's your father's brother... Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lumypie, welcome to the site, Frosty the Snowman is not wrong about the transfer Sad

Don't forget to try the Bombardino at Roxi as well!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks TallTone. We only need ski hire, so will probably book with Twinners as they have 20% off and everyone seems to have recommended them.

I hadn't really thought about private lessons (well, I had, but the cost put me off), perhaps I will look into it though. The other good thing about a group is you meet people!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ctrlbreak, Welcome to Snowheads.
I think SO use Twinners but they do have there own ski hire. We used Twinners and were very impressed. Not sure if you have time to book on their site now though. Friends booked through snowrental.com and got some great gear throughthe Arpin sport 2000 shop at good rates.
There are 4 ski schools http://www.larosiere.net/?rub_id=36 but dont be put off by ESF as they have a really good reputation in La Ros. Why not give thenm a call.

Make sure you get down the bopardercross course (under the Fort chair) huge fun.

We stayed in Le Quatre Saison last year and had a great time. An old but charming chalet. 120m uphill slog to the bus stop, but its the first stop so nice an quiet. I really rate Ski Olympic and am sure you will have a great time. What level are you 2 as SO do ski hosting which can be a great way to explore and meet other folks. Any questions then feel free.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the welcome, Frosty!

Just booked with Twinners - they only had France or Switzerland as the country in the address field, but it all went through ok!

Would you recommend pre-booking ski passes too?

I've done about 6 weeks skiing and then converted to boarding and have done about 6 weeks snowboarding now too. My girlfriend has only done a single week (though she took to it like a duck to, erm, snow!), so she really needs lessons to improve. I might take ski hosting on my own though, if it's any good. Do they usually have reasonable size groups? (and do they frown at snowboarders? wink )

(p.s. I realise this "snow report" thread has been horribly hijacked, I apologise!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ctrlbreak, Dont worry, seems to have turned into a general La Ros info thread Very Happy

Groups were generally up to 8 or so. No one would be as impolite as to frown on you. I would buy the lift pass on the transfer bus from the SO rep. SO offer a good service on this and you will pay no premium. passport photos are now NOT required hor passes under 9 days. Twinners will send you a confirmation and a credit card style card. Take this along and your gear should be ready with your name on. They will bar code all the hire gear onto the card an you can pay on collection or return. There is generally a staff member inside the door, show them the card and they will know you have pre-booked.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ummmm, just got really confused!

Went to book the ski pass online, put all the info in, no probs, then at the end it says I have to send by snail mail "an impression of this page carrying your number of order and recapitulating your purchases, signed for acceptance of the conditions of sale. This mail is essential to validate your order and must be sent at the latest the Friday 02 March 2007"

Do I really have to do this? Doesn't exactly seem like your traditional online ordering system! I also chose the option "Your order will be at the departure of the ski pistes", which I assume means I'll collect them when I arrive?
ski holidays
Aha - cheers frosty. I won't bother with the online booking then.
ski holidays
ctrlbreak, We booked ours online, but it is a faff about. We had to print of the booking form and send it along with copies of the kids passports for age proof by snail mail. A fair bit clumsier than many online passes.
snow report
hi all,only 10 days to go yippee Very Happy ,seems to be a couple of la ros threads, keep getting lost Puzzled
any must do's whilst in town??
ctrlbreak we are in la ros your week should really meet for a ski and beers,
anyone else sking 11/03 in la ros?
someone please tell me that the bus journey is not that long or boring Sad
snow report
shorty, see above -
Do try to get to le Rascard reaturant in la Thuile for at least one lunch.
Do try the bombardinos in the restaurant at the bottom of the Picollo San Bernado lift.
Do have a good time (you will!)
latest report
thanks for the welcome all, we are staying in Chalet oliver and are using Ski olympics own ski/boot hire based in our chalet, hoping they are Ok or on a par with the others. i too have booked ski passes on-line but havnt yet sent anything as confirmation as I thought this was just internat admin stuff, that said did get my mum who is a senior to fax copy of Id as proof for her reduced pass but havnt bothered for the rest of us. Do i need to??
Will make sure have plenty to occupy my daugther on caoch trip, 3hrs!!! hope the scenery is good.
I have booked lessons form family with ESF english lesson but I will be skiing on own, looks as if there is enough to keep me occupied whilst they are at lesson, if not are there guides one can ski with?
ski holidays
Lumypie, I do think the intenrt booking for the passes is poor. Dont want to give advice on how your booking proceedure has gone in case i give some duff info. I would fax a copy of the booking and any appropriate photos just to be on the safe side Fax : +33 (0)4 79 40 12 08
snow report
Lumypie wrote:
I have booked lessons form family with ESF english lesson but I will be skiing on own, looks as if there is enough to keep me occupied whilst they are at lesson, if not are there guides one can ski with?

Yes, SO usually have a very good ski guide programme. In the past everyone who wants to go out with the guides, from all the 4 or 5 SO chalets, all meet up at the beginning of the first day, then split into groups by ability/speed. Its all very informal, you can swap groups, drop out or meet up for lunch.

Say hi to Jane for me (who I think is in Quatre Saisons this year)
snow conditions
Great , but what about the snow conditions??????????????????????????
latest report
Well, according to j2ski.com:

La Rosière Snow Report
Upper 300cm
Lower 170cm
La Rosière Ski Area
Last Snow Friday March 2, 2007
Fresh Snow 34cm
Area Open 85%
Conditions Powder
Reported Friday March 2, 2007

Doesn't sound too bad, eh?
snow report
im on my way on Saturday if i can get a deal , i have a new pair of streetracer 10's that are just begging to be launched into some carving turns. Smile Smile Bit narrow in the waist if its really powdery Puzzled
snow conditions
You know we were worried about the roof being bare of snow..............................

snow report
Dumptastic !
ski holidays
Man that looks awesome! No problem with the lower runs now I bet!

dupes, we had a great time with that roof having HALF what it has now. Three days of perfect conditions! You are in for a VERY special time!

Enjoy! snowHead

(tries not to be too jealous)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman,

Not sure if this has been asked before but how do you manage to publish a photo at 12.03pm which was not taken untill 16.31pm on the same day?
ski holidays
stewart woodward, Shocked The Lard works in mysterious ways
latest report
FenlandSkier, Very Happy

stewart woodward, I really love your Tignes stuff, but it sounds like you are better off staying over in the Tignes thread wink

(Surely they have live webcams in Tignes Laughing )

wink wink wink
snow conditions
Maybe the roof will collapse with the weight of snow.

My bet is that it won't fall off until 27th April
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
Maybe the roof will collapse with the weight of snow.

My bet is that it won't fall off until 27th April

Lets hope so as I aim to be skiing there until the 15th April Very Happy
snow report
I'm going to go for the 28th April (or the 18th March if I can get up there and push it off!) Very Happy
ski holidays
aidancostello,

Just want to say thank you again for all the info you gave me! Have contacted Mark and we are meeting him on our first morning to sort out some lessons Very Happy

Cant wait!! Only 9 more days to go!!!
snow report
Blueyedgirl, No probelm - have a great time and let us know how you got on when you come back! Wish I was going again....
latest report
aidancostello,

Thank you!! I'm sure we will.. The snow's looking great Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Will do a report on our return!
snow report
Just one more question (if anyone can help) Are there any cash machines close to the Planibel complex?
snow report
Blueyedgirl, I can answer that one!

You need to walk into La Thuile the older town for a cash machine. Our friends went and I think it was about 10 minutes walk. The town of La Thuile is a bit below the Planibel. The Planibel complex is built around a little shopping square which as a supermarket, two ski hire shops, a few places to eat, a bar, a tabac type place selling newspapers, cigs etc a couple of places to eat.

For cash however you need to go to the old town. To my shame I never ventured there but didn't need to really when we skied late every day and everything was on hand. We just took euros to cover what we couldn't pay by credit card. The ski hire shop took credit cards as did the hotel where we just ran tabs for drinks with the meal and at the bar.

Cheers!
ski holidays
aidancostello,

Thanks again.. its so good to have all this info before we go! Be good to have something to make us walk into town otherwise i'm sure we would be the same and not venture out of the complex, its so easy with everything you need in the one place!

Not long to go now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy