Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel/3v update...

Poster: A snowHead
Those off to Meribel or the 3 Valleys this weekend, some info re what is possibly going to open subject to conditions:

"This will depend on the snowfalls and whether it is possible to create cultured snow on Saturday. Provisionally the following lifts will open from Sunday:
At Courchevel: Verdons / Saulire / Biollay / Chenus
At Méribel-Mottaret: Combes / Châtelet / Plan des Mains
A suitable lift pass price will be offered for this limited ski area. "

Read the full report here which will be updated as more info becomes available.

http://www.merinet.com/snow_report.php?id_snow_report=1449
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone know if the 'partial opening' will include links over to the other valleys? If they are open, there should be a fair amount of skiing available higher up (especially Val Thorens). Desparately hoping that it will snow hard over the weekend and then stay as cold as possible next week as am due to be out for a long weekend next week.

Assuming that it is cold enough for canons and it does actually snow a bit over the next day or so, are more lifts due to open from the 16th?

Thanks in advance for any help or insider knowledge!
Joe
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JoeF, Welcome to snowHeads. The info above (which is all I have to work on) would suggest you can get between Courchevel and The middle Meribel valley via Saulire at least. I think the Chatelet lift is new but whether it gets you over Cote Brune to Val T I know not. Combes and Plan des Mains keep you in the middle valley. You need all 3 stages of Platieres to get into Val T.

snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, but you can't get back from Méribel without Pas du Lac or Burgin Saulire Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, you are right. Looks as if you can only ski one side of those valleys and the links are not open.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice. Not looking too good really (unless more lifts open on the 16th - any knowledge on that?). It is a shame that Mont Vallon won't be opening as that is one of my favourite runs and it is nice and high so should be good?

Appreciate the replies - fantastic site.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
all depends on what falls out of the sky in the next 2 days really and the ability to fire up any cannons to supplement what fell. temperatures look like they are set to drop so who knows...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will keep my fingers crossed!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it's snowing now. VT link not likely. Sunday opening according to tourist office at Meribel and Courchevel (even though it's dumping right now). Mt Val opens well late to everything else anyway...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Talking to pisteurs tonight the VT link is not a priority at all - getting some decent skiing on Sunday with the Meribel / Courchevel link looks good though and then they'll see what's next with the snowfall tonight and getting the lower resorts on board. And just to be a Snowhead....... You only need Platieres 1 & 2 Gondola to get over to Cote Brun chair and over to VT and this season just Combes and the new Chatelets chair - No need to take the skis/board off! Méribel report they are planning to open Plan des Mains, Combes and Plattieres 1 & 2 so far. . Courchevel say Saulire, Verdons, Biollay and Chenus. All subject to change of course.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well - I just got back in this morning from 3 days in the 3 valleys (Friday to Sunday actually on the pistes).

Overall, the situation could be a whole lot worse and we had a really good 3 days skiing. Friday was bliss as the pistes were completely empty and the sun shone all day. I have never seen it so quiet (really noticeable in areas like the Rond Point in Meribel, which can be a nightmare) and the snow was fine. Pretty thin but more than enough to have fun on.

Saturday saw more lifts open up and access to some more higher pistes, which were very nice. Still pretty thin, but it was nice soft snow. Of the 3 valleys, I thought the Meribel valley is the best at the moment by a long shot. Val Thorens was OK but very hard snow and Courchevel was strangely grim - you really felt as though it needs a few big dumps to make it look white.

There was a little snow on Saturday night and some of the early runs on Sunday morning up around Tougnette were really good. It was, however, far too warm (again) for the snow to last further down. It really felt like the end of the season rather than the beginning, with more and more mud / grass appearing everywhere and very wet sticky snow on the lower slopes.

Although very thin, they are doing a good job of pushing snow around (including canon snow) to create enough depth to get around. La Chaudanne was interesting as the piste machines kept creating a road-like section of pist to get down. That is fine for now but it does make the pistes narrow in sections and it will feel VERY busy with more people on the slopes.

Overall, we had a superb time and did not feel that the conditions were that bad at all. The prospect of Christmas crowds on the very thin snow would be very worrying if I was going again in the next couple of weeks. It needs to dump (not just snow) before things are secure for the rest of the season. Having got back this morning at about 6am, it is feels a lot colder here than it was in Meribel - I never felt cold over the weekend which doesn't seem right for the time of the year.

No doubt it will come good pretty soon, and it was miles better than I had expected, reading some of the doom and gloom reports, so all is not lost and sitting in the sunshine with a cold beer was a lot better than sitting in the office so I was very happy to have gone...........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

miles better than I had expected, reading some of the doom and gloom reports

thanks for the report, glad you had a good time, but sounds as though the doom and gloom merchants are dead right about Christmas week, and maybe New Year too, with thousands of people scraping off what little there is Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i too was there last week and the Saulire was excellent at the top, perfect snow and no one there. however below around 1600m it was dire....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite a bit of change Tue and Wed with low temps (at last) - masses of cannons on all day and night with good piste skiing from 1850 to Val Thorens (via Meribel or Pas du Lac Gondola down 'cos run in to Mottaret from Saulire side is still closed although we saw plenty people skiing it when on the other side of the Valley). Used chairlifts exclusively to get to Val Thorens for the first time with the new Chatelet Chair over to Cote Brun. We thought Mt Vallon was open but there was only 2 gondolas going up and down on the lift for use by pisteurs. Looks like Courchevel especially are "saving" pistes for next week - 1650 links for example are still closed plus the lower run in to La Tania (although loads of people skiing it and avoiding the huge mounds of man-made snow).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can agree with all of the above. It's been cold and they are making artificial snow in Courchevel and Meribel like it's going out of fashion. The artificial is keeping the open runs skiable, but it means they tend to be hard and icy at the end of the day-particularly in Meribel and Mottaret where they seem to get little sun at the bottom. Best snow by far is in VT-less artificial and a bit more sun is softening up the runs quite nicely.
I reckon about 3/4 of the lifts are open, but not as many runs-perhaps half. 9 times out of 10 there is a run open to get from the top of lift A to the bottom of lift B, but you don't get much of a choice which way to go! E.g. If 2 or 3 pistes are running close to each other, only 1 will be open. That has allowed plenty of decent skiing this week, but not sure what next week will be like when it is likely to get much busier.

But don't blame the pisteurs; they've done a great job given the lack of snow and we've had a much better week than we expected. Forget about off-piste, but if caning down hard pistes is your thing then you'll be in hog's heaven.

kkev is dear right about them saving pistes for next week-there are some nice-looking closed runs at the moment! Particularly above 1650 and links to 1850, but Mont Vallons also looks good to go. But whether's it'll be enough is open to doubt!

BTW, friends of ours skied over in Les Arcs (1950/2000) are said snow conditions there were much better than 3V!

Good luck to anyone coming out here next week.
snow report
We are going out on the 30th Dec and staying at Bride la Bains. Not only am I fed up about the lack of snow, but I have also injured my back, so what I want to know is - what else is there to do in Bride apart from skiing? Crying or Very sad
snow report
kevducky, Sorry about the back. I can highly recommend stretching over a swiss ball to help get the spine moving again.
Some great advice on this site, navigation buttons near the bottom of the page. Usually a huge help to me when I have a flare up.
ski holidays
kevducky, oh dear, poor you Sad . Brides is a dump. Its only redeeming feature is its price compared to the 3V generally.

If you can't ski, it will be a nightmare. Take a good book (or 5), DVD's, laptop, Ipod, playstation etc etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmmmm - there really isn't a huge amount to do in Brides! Definitely a good base for a cheap(er) holiday with access to great skiing but I am not sure what you would do if not skiing. It isn't even in the sun!

Quick video of last weekend, to give you an idea of what the conditions were like. By all accounts things are actually better now thanks to large amounts of cannon snow, so Christmas should be fine. I am not going, but wouldn't be too worried if I was.

Don't expect radical skiing, but a good indication of how blissfully quiet the pistes were:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3607154440328497366&hl=en-GB (be sure to view 'original size' as it is only small to keep file size down and looks awful if scaled up).
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, this is Lynne, Kev Ducky's wife. Thanks for nothing, he is almost suicidal now!! Apart from the Gondola up to Meribel, is there a bus we can get and if so how often and how late do they run as we have also got two 17yr old lads to keep occupied as well???
Even if there isn't a great deal of skiing, as long as we can get to the bars and the sun we should cope quite well!!
snow conditions
Joe F and Zorro, you've both made me feal worse, Joe because of the video (although Red Jacke got what he deserved after showing off) and Zorro for your rundown of Bride. Will be taking walking shoes with me and hope there are a few treks
latest report
Some years ago, I could not drive to Val D'Isere (too much snow - remember those days?) and did an unscheduled overnight stop at the Grand Hotel Des Thermes where they looked after me very well. It seemed heavily into spa stuff - might be just the place to visit with that injured back?
ski holidays
kevducky & Lynne, I feel terrible now Embarassed Sorry if I upset you. I hope that your back will be well enough for you to ski and that you won't have to sit around all day.

There has been a little bit on here about it...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=91935

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3456

I went there twice on short breaks but really only bothered myself with the skiing. The website is linked to in the first of the two threads
snow conditions
Been to the physio who has given my back a good pummeling, so does feal beter although probably only able to ski if the snow is softish. Does anyone know if theere is a bus from Brides to Meribel.

AND for you lot who are being negative about the snow- Las year went to Serr Chev- New Years Eve bucketed it down with snow- great skiing. Three years ago Flaine- Xmas Day heavy snow great skiing. A few years before- Chatel littel snow until Xmas Eve again grea skiing so still hope for us New Year Skiers/ Walkers
ski holidays
Zorro thanks for the links to Brides Topic. Don't like the look of the lift up to Meribel. Does anyone know if you can get taxis up to Meribel. If so - how much r they aprrox?
snow conditions
kevducky, definate cabs available it is around 50Euro from Moutier to Meribel, not sure from brid

i have a few cab company links with english websites under the travel section on my site, have a look there
latest report
Hi. Based at 1850 for the week. Here comes an honest, reqlistic review to help those heading out.

Although there is skiing, you say you had a great run if you come down a run with your skis intact. If you have new or prized skis, leave them at home!

1850 has runs open but these get sketchy very quickly and the hordes seem to be descending tonight, so more traffic wont help.

Folyeres into La Tania was OK today, and the Foret Green into Meribel offered the best run of the day. Meribel was OK in morning, if hard snow and rocks qre your thing, but better than courchevel.

Les Menuires had some decent runs today, but the runs back to Meribel were very sketchy at best, or closed. Noise from Val T is that everything is skiing off by early afternoon, so get there early!

Sorry cant be more positive. Yes if you come out you can ski, but get hold of the piste condition maps first thing and plan carefully. And hire some skis making sure you DO take the insurance option as you will be stuck with a huge bill when you damage them!

Pisteurs are doing an amazing job to keep a lot of runs open, and you can still get a good few hours in each day.

Happy New Year and lets all pray for snow!

ScottyDog
latest report
scottydog, I was there (Mottaret) last week. We had a dusting 4 nights out of 7, though sadly the day after a couple of inches there was a white-out. Up top was good but anywhere near resort level was decidedly icey. Too right about the pisteurs (and snow canons) - they're doing an excellent job. Twas a very worrying transfer from Geneva!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="kevducky"]Been to the physio who has given my back a good pummeling, so does feal beter although probably only able to ski if the snow is softish. Does anyone know if theere is a bus from Brides to Meribel.

Well my back hasn't recovered so we have had to cancel the holiday. Fortunately we are insured. Plan to travel 27th Jan. Yeserday some great bargins. Due to snow report prices have jumped over £100 in 12 hours. Everyone is booking. There goes my cheap holiday
latest report
kevducky, Probably a good solution - hope you have a great trip when you do go! Very Happy
snow conditions
Well we've booked another holiday. Instead of Brides les Baines, we are going to Kaprun, so Who cares how much it snows in the French Alps- It's over rated anyway. Twisted Evil

ps Has anyone got the forecast for Austria at the end of the month????
ski holidays
Here is a half-decent 4-min skivid taken in Meribel last week. Conditions looked reasonable, with a touch of powpow:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3607154440328497366&q=skiing&hl=en

No, it is not my video.
snow conditions
just watched that vid can't wait to get on the slopes at the end of Feb Very Happy
snow conditions
Cool vid Very Happy
ski holidays
We've just returned from a week based in St Martin de Belleville. Like others have found, the conditions in the 3Vs aren't great. In St M de B, the lower run (Biolley) was well covered due to the snow cannon buy none of the upper runs from the Tougnete side were open (having said that my son got his private ESF lesson on the closed Pramint run). The only way back from Meribel was to take the Gros Tougnete path down to the bottom of the Granges chair and then Pelozet to the top of St M de B Biolley run. Pelozet is also the only way back from Les Menuires and was in a pretty bad state with bare patches of grass and rocks by the time we left.

The runs down from Tougnete to Meribel were a bit hard and icy but at least there few rocks. The runs on the Saulire side of Meribel were similar.

The top of the Combe de Saulire in Courchevel 1850 was grim; a bit like skiing on a pebble beach. Chenus was hard but OK, given the circumstances.

The one day in Val Thorens was enough. Conditions were OK (hard, a bit icy like everywhere else) but it was mega busy.

The upper slopes of Les Menuires were good (Allamands, Grand Lac) and fairly quiet

Overall, we thought that Meribel and Les Menuires had the best skiing.

We became regulars customers of the local ski servicing shop, had a great time and just wish that a few more people had believed the doom mongers and stayed away.
ski holidays
Anyone got a more recent report for the 3Vs?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy