Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Panorama

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mums thinking of shelling out for a family trip here= although apparently its dodgy for snow- thinking mid feb- anyone got any opinions? Would Fernie be a better bet?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friends of mine have been, they seemed to think it was good. The snowfall may be "dodgy" by canadian standards but I can't imagine it would be that bad in mid-Feb, not by european standards anyway. They did say the apres was dead and the transfer was very long however.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless you;re all good skiiers, I'd say panorama would be better then Fernie. It's a true resort in that there's quite a bit at the base of the slopes, but it's 30 minutes up the hill from the nearest town. There's a convenience store if you;re self catering and quite a few restaurants in the resort, and there's a free bus that serves selectd restaurants down in town (i.e. the ones that pay for the bus!)

Skiin is quite good, plenty of nice cruisers and then a 10 minute hike out to Taynton Bowl for the more adventurous. Mid feb I;d reckon would be perfect although it's close to the border so try to avoid Presidesnt's day
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee, I don't think you'd be wild about Panorama from the apres point of view. There's very little at the resort, although everything you actually need - a couple of fairly dreary bars and restos - and nothing particularly good (a decent restaurant in the heli base is about it), unless it's changed in the few years since I was there. As nbt says, it's a fair drive to the nearest town, and I don't think that's anything to get excited about.

The skiing is fine, depending obviously on what you want. nbt has summed it up well. There is some non-cruisy stuff without going into Taynton Bowl; Extreme Dream, a bit of an oversell but good skiing, and heli skiing is on the doorstep. We were there in April and it was a bit icy, for which it has a reputation, but earlier in the season I'd expect it to be great. Canadians are very fussy about their snow, so anything less than excellent tends to be regarded as rubbish.

I haven't been to Fernie so I can't compare, but it sounds a better bet to me, although again I don't think that you want to leave it too late in the season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Panorama January 2006 for just over two weeks, it ended up an extremely good holiday that worked out very cheap in the end. The snow was fantastic and I skied lovely powder for 10 days out of the trip, it was dumping seriously whilst I was out there. The skiing out there was good for me but I did have great snow apparently the best for years in the resort, uncrowded slopes, no lift lines and taynton bowl is excellent, especially after it had been dumping for a few days! Although the ski area isn't the largest about it does offer abit of something for everyone and you find what you like.

Whilst staying at Panorama I also managed to get out to Kicking Horse (highly recommended) to ski for a couple of days which is between about 1.5 and 2 hours away and also I visited friends who were in Banff and skied with them for a day. As stated above you can heliski from panorama but I chose to get out to the other resorts that weren't too far away.

Stay at the top of the village and skiing is right on your doorstep. So for ski convieniance it is great, however as mentioned above nightlife is limited or non existant but after all it is what you make of it. I go for the skiing and everthing else comes second, after a full day on the slopes - first lift, last lift - many evenings were spent having a beer in the outdoor hot tubs getting ready for the next day. Repeating what is aboce there aren't many places to eat in Panorama itself but if you can be bothered and catch the bus down to invermere there is a bit of choice. There is a little coffee shop below the main lift up the hill which is good for breakfast. Night skiing is also offered on one maybe two nights of the week on a couple of runs.

I've skied quite a few places in Canada but never Fernie however from speaking to locals out in Canada they spoke very highly of Fernie.

If you need any more info or help give me a shout, also I have some great photo's from panorama if you want to see them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied in brilliant conditions at Panorama, I appear to have been there the same time as Alpinebullit and it was wonderful powder, but as he said it was apparently the best conditions they have had for years. Fernie, when I was there a few years ago, was icy and the ski patrol were going around with hockey sticks knocking stones of the trails, but I have been told that when it is good it is very good. I am currently trying to persuade my OH that we go back there on our trip next January.

As the resort is close to the town at Fernie there is more options for things to do in the evenings and there is a regular bus, we never bothered to go to Invermere (the town closest to Panorama) as it was too much hassle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going there in January, so naturally - have been keeping a close eye on the conditions. Well, check out they're webcams and you'll see they've plenty of snow - over 2m have fallen now, and every other day it has been snowing for the last month, so I'm not concerned! (Lets just hope it lasts). The whole of West Canada have had an amazing start to the season snow-wise, so I think you'll find it much the same (ie. good!) whereever you look at.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, Not worried about Apres as will be en famille- going on the lash in Andorra in January so all naughtiness and high jinks will occur then!

All sounds rather good- we've got a cracking deal on it, so think we shall go ahead!

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee, if you drive to Panorama from Calgary, you can break the journey at Radium hot springs, basically a couple of dirty great hot/warm swimming pools in a gorge sort of thing, right by the road from Panorama up to Highway 1, IIRC. Not a great thrill, but a pleasant break in the journey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, Will be taking a package- so just getting straight there after the 9hr flight! But thank you!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, just ask them to stop for an hour or so while you have a dip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, at that time of year you should be fine. The slopes were absolutely deserted by European standards when I was there, early March. Though it was mushy from the base to mid-stn by then. They've got some great tree skiing and the area feels quite spread out. I'd recommend Kicking Horse for a day too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee, We went a couple of years ago at the end of March and conditions were tropical to say the very least. You should get much better conditions in February. I would say that all the replies above are pretty accurate from what we experienced. I would however focus on the outdoor pool facility as a real feature, we stayed right 'slopeside' looking out over the pools and it was great.

The 'glade' skiing was also a feature even though the conditions were poor, Tayton Bowl has plenty to keep a half decent skier amused.

Go for it!!

Only downside was the 4 and a bit hour drive from Calgary after a 9.5 hour flight. My fingers had made imprints in the steering wheel by the time we got there. Most of the drive is through wilderness as well, which was naff in the dark but a really nice trip back on our return in daylight.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I should probably ad that its only £285 each for flights, transfers and room only accomodation- going on the weds of half term- mad to miss it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee, How many times does the aircraft stop to take on wood and water snowHead

Bargain - you must go, which accomodation is it? not that it matters at that price.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy