Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick question on ski boot fitting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm a confident intermediate skiier, about to embark on my 4th week on skis (in Alpe D'huez), and have decided (after confirming last night at MK Xscape that I have quite funny shaped feet!) to buy my own boots. Now over the couple of years that i've spent lurking here, a key point seems to be that you should take a long time finding a boot that fits properly, trying out lots of different boots, etc.

I went along to a local (i'm a student in cambridge) shop and the fitter measured my feet, we talked a little about what kind of skiier I was, and then he produced a pair of Salomon XWave 8s, and got me to try them on without inners. This done, he said that after heat-molding the inners, they would definitely fit well (I tried them on with the inners in, and they didnt really feel snug enough around my heel & ankle - this is a problem I have with all sorts of boots, as my foot doesnt really seem to fit a standard last, fairly thin but with a high arch). The boots were last seasons stock, so ~40 quid cheaper than rrp.

So my question is, is fitting to the outer alone enough of an indication that the super-heat-molding will fix all problems and the boots will fit? Or should I wait til I go home to Christmas (to Wolverhampton), and head to a S&R or similar? Also, I have a friend in Canada who could feasibly bring a pair of boots over for me; are they (any brands in particular) much cheaper over there?

Thanks,

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick answer:

Usual caveat of not being able to see your feet etc.

I should wait until you're back home and visit White Mountain.

http://www.whitemountainonline.co.uk/

Salomon XWave's 8 aren't usually a match for "funny shaped feet" (your words) - and not really for skinny heels.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobH, Might be worth making a trip to Lockwoods in Leamington.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, No? - my husband got fitted with these at Lockwods and the fitter even commented on his skinny heels and ankles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobH, if you can get down to Bicester, I would suggest you book an appointment with another snowHead under the name of CEM - you can find him here http://www.lockwoodsoutdoor.co.uk/.

If not, a little closer to Wolverhampton is http://www.lockwoodsoutdoor.co.uk/ also have a good reputation

If you find yourself out near Chamonix in the near future, the other person I can personally recommend (did a good job on my boots) is another snowHead under the moniker of SMALLZOOKEEPER (I think the name of the shop is Footworks http://www.chamonix.net/english/shopping/bootfitting.htm)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rob,

Heat molding is not likely to make the boots snugger and they will pack down with wear anyway. I doubt that you should be worried that new boots are too loose - if they are fitted right they should probably feel "too" tight if anything. I reckon you should go somewhere else.

I'd forget the Canada idea. If you have got funny shaped feet thenm you probably need attention from a boot fitter. Also I don't think Canadian proces are much cheaper - most boots are made in Europe and CDN$ is quite strong at the moment (unlike US$).

J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SHello, Think this is the web site for CEM
http://www.solutions4feet.com/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobH wrote:
I have a friend in Canada who could feasibly bring a pair of boots over for me; are they (any brands in particular) much cheaper over there?

Anything you save on boot price (and it won't be much, if anything) you'll more than spend on geeting them fitted unless you're very lucky.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevinrhead, that will teach me to look at the links being pasted Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks very much for the prompt replies! I will hang back on this pair and visit one of the shops you mentioned when I'm back home. Bicester and Chamonix are unfortunately a little out of my reach, but I'll head to either Lockwoods or White Mountain. Would they charge extra for the fitting service?

Thanks again

Rob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy