Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bag or Ski tube-Help??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I'm intersted to hear what you guys do when flying with your own ski gear, I'm going to Canada in January and have never taken my own skis.

Do those of you that fly take them in a ski bag or hard ski tube?

Anyone ever has skies damaged in just a bag?

Thanks

Anette

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiTube. Also much easier for storage.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anette, A question that I'm also asking (myself) at the moment, so I shall keep an eye on this thread with interest! I'm in the same position (without the trip to Canada Sad ) and very tempted to purchase a ski-tube. I looked at some ski bags today at Edge-2-Edge in Crawley and to be quite honest, I wasn't particularly sure that they were 'baggage handler proof' rolling eyes Laughing
I'm going to hopefully look at the ski-tube on Sunday at MK....

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 6-12-06 23:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
Anette, mine have always gone in a bag and I've never had any damage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine go in a bag but with foam padding round the tips n tails and other soft stuff round the bindings, pad out the rest of the space with gloves, ski pants etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anette,
I've had my bag damaged a few times but never my skis I think a bagaage handler would be hard pushed to treat them as roughly as I do when they are on my feet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anette, I just got a SportTube this year and it was really excellent - cut out all the faffing about with lots of bubble wrap and towels around the skis, and gave me extra confidence that they would be safe. It is easy to carry, easy to personalise and has wheels to wheel it about in the airport too.

Some carriers are insisting that there is nothing else in the ski bag apart from skis and poles, which means you can't do the trick of padding the skis with other clothing any more.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid, do you have a list of these carriers? Would be useful to post here - might save folk turning up at the airport and having to put 3 layers of clothing on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, so far the only one I know about is FlyBE - that is who we are booked with in January. They were very insistent that if anything else was found in the ski bag it would be taken out. I asked if bubble wrap/towelling to prevent scratches would be OK, and they said absolutely nothing, not even bubble wrap or towels, or jiffy bags or whatever.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to have a ski tube, but gave that away - problem was US security, who like to look inside everything. (it was also a bit of a problem getting fat skis into them, or ones with big riser plates).
I now have a double bag with wheels, and I put my skis into an inner bag, then wrap fleeces around the bindings, tip and tail.

Not had a problem yet with that, but I've only used it once or twice on domestic (Euro) flights - and those were with Air France.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm flying MONARCH charter flight and have been informed by them (as part of a different query) that there should be nothing else within the bag apart from either skis or snowboard.

So this time I will be trying to get eveything in the one bag. (Apart from boots which will be in their own bag). So no extra weight allowance for me this year!

(In fact less because in the past I've stuck the snowboard boots in with the snowboard this year they're part of my 23kg Sad )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always take a bag with a towel wrapped around the bindings on the way out - on the way back I just stuff all my dirty washing round the skis. I would say a bag is better for stuffing other things in.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there some reason other than to further inconvenience and part you with you hard-earned behind the skis only policy these airlines are taking up? rolling eyes

Glad I take the train! Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
Kaiser, the more baggage they can get out of your ski bag, the more has to go in the rest of your hold baggage, so they might just get some excess baggage pennies rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anette, I have used soft bags in the past without damage to the skis, but the bags themselves get ripped up a bit. I now use to KIS tubes for our two pairs of skis. They are much more sturdy to take any knocks and have wheels which makes them easy to trundle along. I don't padlock them so customs can look inside without bothering me and everything seems to work just fine. I bough the second tube off ebay for about £35 which I think was a bargain.
latest report
Bags must be regarded as consumables, I think. My bag has done quite a few trips now and looks pretty chewed-up. I wrap my skis in bubble-wrap from ASDA bananas! The skis have never taken any damage.

snowHead
ski holidays
I have both rolling eyes
Actually no I have a snowboard bag (cos I got little skis and they fit in better than in a large ski bag) and it is amazing what you can get in it Shocked
I used it to come back from US in Feb and it was unlocked and I found a nice little note to say they had looked in it (must have got a shock when they saw all the Victoria Secrets stuff I had stashed in it rolling eyes Laughing
But I used the skitube to do the Eurostar and sleeper train to EOSB this year and that was ideal travelling through the French metro.
Michelle, I used my bag (it is about 165cms and just a bit fatter than a single ski bag) on Easyjet for the PSB and had ski trousers and jacket in it as well as ski's (in bubble wrap) and poles and got through no problem and my boots in my wheely bag.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I now have a double bag with wheels, and I put my skis into an inner bag, then wrap fleeces around the bindings, tip and tail.

I have one of those (Snow and Rock)but I do not like it. The wheelbase is fairly narrow, so it tends to topple off one wheel and you end up just dragging the bag a lot. Wheels make it difficult to prop the bag up against a wall. Also double bags do not fit as well in some Austrian train luggage racks.

I do not like ski tubes, because I like to take skis inside the car and a soft bag is sometimes easier to squeeze in.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo, I agree, it can be abit wobbly on the wheels, but the padding is pretty good, and I got it in the summer sale for about £35.
ski holidays
I used to have (note past tense) a double ski tube but found it to be a bit of a chore to lug around due to weight and fighting to get it properly locked every time. Now use soft bag and not had any problems so far (time for sod's law) but do use bubble wrap inside the bag with a bit extra around the bindings.
snow conditions
So, another question on this topic is, do I buy a double tube or 2 singles?

Was just thinking if one goes missing atleast we haven't lost both sets of skis?

Greig
Puzzled
snow conditions
We use a double Sportube and find it's perfect. It's also designed to fit most car roof racks.
snow conditions
Greig, I have two singles, which is handy for the occasions when only one of us is going skiing.
latest report
Greig, We also have a double sport tube. we have had this over 3 seasons and found it excellent - even when someone in italy complained to bagae handlers about time they were taking, so 'off loaded' all the ski's by throwing them three feet into the air for landing on concrete. Cue lots of people with claims for dameged skis - ours had wheels so they didn't bother to throw (or couldn't lift to throw easily)

Also, as an added bonus, it seems to pull easily on snow !!
snow report
I have an original Kiss sport tube which is far too narrow to take modern skis and bindings so has been in the loft since X-Screams with Hangl plates were bought all those years ago. Do they make them wider now?

(Original free to anyone who can collect it from Cardiff Ski Centre, PM me if you're interested).
snow report
Anyone got any website suggestions to buy a wheeled ski bag or shops in Ireland that have them?
latest report
Peter Ross, is TGO still open - it used to be just off Grafton Street at the St Stephen's Green end.
snow report
docsquid wrote:
Yoda, so far the only one I know about is FlyBE - that is who we are booked with in January. They were very insistent that if anything else was found in the ski bag it would be taken out. I asked if bubble wrap/towelling to prevent scratches would be OK, and they said absolutely nothing, not even bubble wrap or towels, or jiffy bags or whatever.

IME, the airlines will have no say, except at a very few airports where the ski bags will go down the "normal" luiggage belt.

But every airport I have used, you take the skis to a separate baggage drop for "oversized" baggage, and that is operated by the airport, not the airline.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, TGO, I assume you mean Great Outdoors, but I haven't seen any wheeled bags in there. There is also a new store called 53 degrees north on the M50, it's a big store, I could check in there.
snow report
We have a double Sport-tube which is hard to fault. Air Canada will not insure soft ski bags anymore, only hard cases. I guess that means they've had loads of claims before. Having said that I sometimes carry a spare pair in a padded ski bag and have never had a problem. But I still much prefer the protection of a hard case. Don't bother fitting a lock though, security will break it off. Just use the simple clip pin instead so they can inspect inside it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy