Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps warmest in over 1,000 years

Poster: A snowHead
VIENNA Europe's Alpine region is going through it's warmest period in 1,300 years, the head of a climate study said. The project aimed to reconstruct the climate in the region over the past 1,000 years. "We are currently experiencing the warmest period in the Alpine region in 1,300 years," Reinhard Boehm, a climatologist at Austria's Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics, said.

Article taken from the Independent, Wed 6 Dec.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-12-06 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kartman, interesting. I wonder why it was just as warm 1,300 years ago?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have found the full acticle on yahoo news...

VIENNA, Austria - Europe's Alpine region is going through its warmest period in 1,300 years, the head of an extensive climate study said Tuesday.

"We are currently experiencing the warmest period in the Alpine region in 1,300 years," Reinhard Boehm, a climatologist at Austria's Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics said.

Boehm based his comments on the results of a project conducted by a group of European institutes between March 2003 and August 2006. Their aim was to reconstruct the climate in the region encompassing the Rhone Valley in France to the west, Budapest, Hungary to the east, Tuscany, Italy to the south and Nuremberg, Germany to the north over the past 1,000 years.

Boehm said the current warm period in the Alpine region began in the 1980s, noting that a similar warming occurred in the 10th and 12th centuries. However, the temperatures during those phases were "slightly under the temperatures we've experienced over the past 20 years."

Humans first had an impact on the global climate in the 1950s, Boehm said, noting that at first, the release of aerosols into the atmosphere cooled the climate. Since the 1980s, however, greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane have warmed it up, he said.

"It will undoubtedly get warmer in the future," Boehm said.

Sponsored by the European Union, the project sought to homogenize climate data collected in the Alpine region over the past 250 years. Climate reconstruction focused on seven parameters, including temperature, sunshine periods and cloud cover. Tree rings and ice core measurements were also taken into consideration.

The unseasonably warm weather this fall has caused concern in Austria's ski resorts where slopes are still largely covered in green grass instead of snow. Many have had to postpone the start of their skiing season and some have tried attracting tourists with alternative programs, such as hiking.

The lack of snow has also put a damper on international winter sports competitions. At the end of October, high rainfall and warm weather predictions led to the cancellation of the opening races of the World Cup ski season.

In some cases, organizers have had to be creative to make sure their events take place as planned.

In Hochfilzen, Tyrol, organizers of an upcoming World Cup biathlon went to the Grossglockner — Austria's highest mountain — to get the snow they needed to prepare their track.

It took about five days to truck between 7,000 and 8,000 cubic meters (9,200 - 10,500 cubic yards) of snow from the road leading up to the Grossglockner to Hochfilzen, said Thomas Abfalter, chief of the organizing committee.

"But now the track is ready and it'll last until early next week," Abfalter said.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
could be a phase, if it was warm then it could prove we are on a cycle.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also discussed here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The 10th & 12th centuries fall within the Medieval Warm Period.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is something that has always confused me. How do we know what the temperature was 1300 years ago (8thC). As far as I'm aware the thermometer was not invented until the 16th century and for the next few hundred years would only be found as a scientific curiosity in the fashionable cities of Europe or on marine explorations. Any reporting of Alpine temperatures would be either "good - not many people died of the cold" or "bad - all the livestock died in the blizzards"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colin_g, I think over this period width of tree-rings are the usual proxy (in sub-arctic latitudes). However, I assume that depends on the seasonal variation of temperature, amount of precipitation, timing of frosts and other weather variations - not just average yearly temperature - as well as finding enough old trees. I think in the study above they used anecdotal historical evidence as well, and maybe other things. I agree that it would be interesting to know how accurate this can be.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are a number of proxies, not just tree rings (though they are a big one), and they have to be merged to get a continuous time line . I don't recall a list, or have one to hand but coral is another one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skanky, not in the Alps, I imagine. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ice cores are the best indicator I think - some info here.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, again, does that apply to the Alps, which I think is what this article is about?

Greenland and Antarctic ice cores provide a record going back tens of thousands of years, IIRC. From what I read before, I think they can't be read year-by-year. I think there's some proxy measure of time as well of as temperature. I've found it difficult to get information on the accuracy, but I suppose it's around somewhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar, again, does that apply to the Alps, which I think is what this article is about?

No, global temps I think, rather than Alpine. I didn't think that ice core analysis is that fine a tool for looking at paleoclimate data, so fairly approximate and relative to current climate data.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Utter dangly bits.

How much coral grows in the Alps?

The truthful statement would be that his study suggests that by his estimation it is possible that the alps look as thought they might have been as warm as they are now. The key words are: indications, estimations, assumptions, models, approximate, etc.

And a "group" of European institutes? Anyone seen academics working together? I'm amazed they even got organized enough to decide what geographic region they were going to discuss. Thankfully it appears that no north americans were involved or we could comfortably expect a quiet apology in a couple of weeks that they'd confused metric with imperial data...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ice cores can be used in the Alps as it is possible to core glaciers - taking into account their movement, etc.

Here's the study's home page: http://www.zamg.ac.at/ALP-IMP/

The final report that the press release is announcing is here: http://www.zamg.ac.at/ALP-IMP/downloads/ALP-IMP-final-rep-public.pdf

For plaeoclimate in general, the current main reference is the IPCC TAR: http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/048.htm (see section 2.3) but the Wikipedia pages are also pretty good (they're well looked after by at least one climate researcher). And finally this review http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11676.html#toc by the US National Academies also covers some of the science. Realclimate has some stuff on it, http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/temperaturevariations-in-past-centuries-and-the-so-called-hockey-stick/ and http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/index/#Paleo

If you have real questions about precision and accuracies though, you'll need to read the actual papers referenced as they'll go into that detail. If you have access to the journals you'll be able to really get your teeth into it.

I've just read some of the summaries and not got down into the details. Maybe when I retire. Sad
ski holidays
skanky, do you feel it would be useful for (the results of) an analysis of the uncertainties in these types of study to filter through to the general press? My feeling is that press presents the conclusions of many studies with unjustified certainty.
snow report
laundryman, I don't know. It's a discussion that's been going on the scientific community for years. It could be argued that (one of the) role(s) of education is to enable the public to understand this sort of thing (generalising obviously). No science study should place its results as certain, but as soon as they use language that states the fact that little (nothing?) is certain, people dismiss the whole thing. The levels of uncertainty can also seem larger than they actually are if you read the conservative prose of the papers themselves. Maybe humans need certainty and that's why religion is so popular?

It's worth noting that most of these press reports tend to be re-hashings of the press releases and some of the blame (if there should be any) for any misrepresentation/overstating of the results. That said, maybe the press should do a bit more than just re-hash press releases (and all organisations and papers do this).
snow report
Well there seems to have been plenty of snow betweem 2003 and 2006.
ski holidays
kartman wrote:

Humans first had an impact on the global climate in the 1950s, Boehm said, noting that at first, the release of aerosols into the atmosphere cooled the climate. Since the 1980s, however, greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane have warmed it up, he said.

Surely we should gear up to release aerosols as much as possible, then?
snow conditions
Cedric, I have a theory that the Indians and Chinese dishing out tons of grot to the atmosphere has counteracted CO2-based global warming to some extent in the last decade (it seems to have been levelling off since about 1998 I think). Mind you, great uncertainty attaches to my calculations. Very Happy
snow report
Cedric, It was the CFC's in aerosols (and fridge/freezers) that caused the cooling problem. The CFC have all been taken out of these products now.

laundryman, I don't know about that, but they are certainly producing lots of carbon emissions.

I think we need a big volcanic eruption to cool the planet wink

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy