Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Air Passenger Duty to increase from £5 to £10, February 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Gordon Brown has just announced a doubling of Air Passenger Duty, starting from Feb 2007. Short haul Duty will be £10, currently £5. Not sure about long haul flights.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So that's a major contribution to tackling road congestion by offering viable alternatives rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin wrote:
So that's a major contribution to tackling road congestion by offering viable alternatives rolling eyes

He's increased fuel duty as well (1.5p per litre, from midnight tonight).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I heard a reduction on the rebate for trains using mixed biofuels or something as well, so that's the planes, trains and automobiles stuffed then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Lot's of money for education, or is that the usual smoke and mirrors promises?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, bloke on radio just said it was the money already announced being re-announced rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, Lot's of money for education, or is that the usual smoke and mirrors promises?

I'd need to look more closely at the Pre-Budget Report bundle to see, but if previous years are anything to go by there is genuinely extra money for education, but a fair measure of spin and double-counting when the headline figures are calculated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so if I booked flights a few months ago for April 2007, will the carrier charge me for this extra surcharge???
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Let's hope that at least some of the extra revenue raised goes on public transport. Fat chance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
so if I booked flights a few months ago for April 2007, will the carrier charge me for this extra surcharge???

I can't see any info about this on either BA's website or HM Treasury. Exact Duties will be (from 1 Feb):
Flights to European Aviation Area
Economy ticket rate of duty £10
All other classes of travel £20

All other destinations
Economy £40
Other classes £80
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, So is that £80 on a return flight to e.g New York
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, no, the duty is levied only on flights from the UK.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apparently Browns statement amounts to another 2 Billion in Taxes.

Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sage, I bet he doesn't announce those twice.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OhFF'Sake, we've known for for at least two years that Blair, Blunkett, Brown et al had screwed the pooch on extraordinarily incompetent spending policy and that the black hole in the treasury purse was going to get a shovel-full of input before the booger's backside started polishing the No10 furniture . . . watch the politics . . . it's going to be messy as Brown unloads the guilt for tax increases onto Blair and his sycophants.
snow conditions
Masque,

That probably is a good take.. I never for one minute think the green taxes have actually anything to do with...er...green issues.
And even with Brown's rosy forecasts, he isn't half in hurry to grab more money... he might try telling us what he is spending it all on..
snow report
Even the bloke on the BBC (Evan Davies?) said Brown was reaching behind the settee to find a few coins to make ends meet.
snow report
laundryman, Whoever gets Browns job isn't going to have much left to work with.
ski holidays
Sage wrote:
laundryman, Whoever gets Browns job isn't going to have much left to work with.

It looks like a hospital pass. Whoever gets it won't be able to blame their predecessor, given it's likely to be their boss. Maybe it will be time to dust off the "we blame it on 18 years of Tory misrule" phrase books. I bet there will be a fair amount of ducking and diving when the vacancy comes up.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

Very good question - does anyone know the answer?
ski holidays
more reason to drive !! Laughing
snow conditions
The Times said this morning that the extra levy was on flights booked after 1st February 2007. I have a long-standing booking for 10th, so I wanted to know.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, If you've paid in full and the contract established then if they try to apply a new charge to the contract and there's not a loophole in the fine print you can probably tell them to suck up the costs themselves . . . do you feel lucky punk? wink
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Gordon Brown has just announced a doubling of Air Passenger Duty, starting from Feb 2007. Short haul Duty will be £10, currently £5. Not sure about long haul flights.

We now live in a quasi-Communist tax-and-spend state.

The overall tax burden is higher than most major competitors' (e.g. US). Public-sector jobs in some parts of Britain make up more of the total than in Communist China. The government is bloated and overstaffed.

Time to vote the Tories back in and get taxes down. Even if you hate them.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

We now live in a quasi-Communist tax-and-spend state.

The overall tax burden is higher than most major competitors' (e.g. US). Public-sector jobs in some parts of Britain make up more of the total than in Communist China. The government is bloated and overstaffed.

Time to vote the Tories back in and get taxes down. Even if you hate them.

whilst i would hope the tories would reduce the size of the states role in the economy.. i wouldnt hope for too much in the way of lower taxes fro transport from cameron.. he is a far bigger tree hugger than brown.. browns just in it for the money.. cameron actually believes it will make a difference
latest report
 brian
brian
Easyjet asks the same question ....

http://easyjet.com/EN/News/brown_relieve_air_tax_trap_for_millions.html
ski holidays
so to repeat a previous question..... how does this affect flights already booked, paid but fly in feb / march?
ski holidays
shockingmoment, as I understand the situation, the charge applies. There is some lobbying going on by the airlines to try to amend this to make it all flights booked after Feb 1st, but this would involve a change of attitude from the Treasury. Whether the airline pay or we pay (and how they collect the money) is yet to be determined, but as I understand it, at the moment the charge applies.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shockingmoment, it depends on how you booked. Tour Operators have a scheme that they cover the first 2% of the total cost of the holiday in increased fees so as long as the package is more than £250 then you won't pay any extra.

If the flight was booked on it's own though you should be liable for the extra cost. However, the airlines are tying to get the government to change it so that it only applies to flights paid for after that date.
ski holidays
From the Telegraph:

"Airlines have warned that Gordon Brown's rise in passenger duty will cause a "logistical nightmare", it is being reported today.
Although the doubling of the tax does not come into force until February, it will apply to pre-booked tickets.
This means that some passengers, who have booked holidays since February this year, may have to pay an extra fee at the airport."

Thats me with an extra bill, with two flights booked each way both in Feb and March. Sad

snowHead
latest report
thanks folks - me too.
4 flights in feb, 2 in march.

Does it just apply to the outbound leg or both out and return?

I really really wouldn't mind if the revenue generated was used to really combat global warming. But somehow, I don't it is.
latest report
shockingmoment, outbound flights only.
snow report
It's like the amount of road duty we pay, very little trickles back into road maintainence. The HA seems to allow very little for schemes lately... so if the M6 falls apart don't blame me!!!
snow report
Yup. Basically a tax raising thing, I reckon.
snow report
Yes , even if you booked and paid allready for flights after February 1st . You will have to handover the addtional £5 at the airport before you can fly. Or more if your going business or to the US

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2109545.html?menu=news

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=420960&in_page_id=1770
ski holidays
And how are the airlines going to collect this, set up tills at the check in desks, send people a bill before their flights? Seems like a lot of extra expense for the airlines as well.

Another poorly thought out piece of legislation - roll on Thursday 3rd May 2007, first chance for us up here to comment on their policies.

snowHead
latest report
Like they collect excess baggage charges.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy