Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

its falling in France...

Poster: A snowHead
Chappers, laundryman, it is possible to make snow at +30, they do it in the mines in south africa, but as laundryman, said, whats the piont if its not gonna last
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/meteo/sujet-76362.html

this is a link to a French ski forum. Michael 37, I have noticed for the past year or so, is the most accurate of the weather gurus on that forum (as he notes himself.....). If you read French, his 5 day forecast, posted this afternoon, is worth a look. Other than in the southern Alps he says rather little snow has fallen in the last 24 hours. A bit more to come, with yo-yoing freezing levels, until Sunday but then a marked return to unseasonably warm and damp weather at the beginning of next week. I can't imagine resorts wasting resources on running cannons if the temperatures are going up again. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As stated yesterday ALL need to face facts that there is little snow coming or sticking for at least the next week. Its both unfair and irresponsible to state otherwise and SCGB need to take a long hard look at their Snow Reports as they are misleading.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skinutter,

How did you discover Les Saisies? I wasn't aware any British tour ops go there. I have been to it's neighbour, Crest Voland twice and skied for a day in Les Saisies. Great place.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I wasn't aware any British tour ops go there

johnboy, they don't. That's why it's such a great place. Whole pistes to yourselves out of the French school hols. Even better now with lift links to the Val D'Arly resorts. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and if you read the meteo report on my link above you will note that it is apparently Hermann Maier's birthday today. Happy Birthday, Hermann...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, I've skied a few times at Les Saisies when based at Megève. It's generally good early in the season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel. wrote:
Boris, snowcannons only work at -4 or lower, if its not that cold they cant blow, simple

Mmmm, without labouring the point, you said the above. I just said you were wrong, they can make snow at warmer temps. wink

It has nothing to do with it melting, the ground temperature, your pister 'mates', South Africa and mines.m rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy wrote:
skinutter,

How did you discover Les Saisies? I wasn't aware any British tour ops go there. I have been to it's neighbour, Crest Voland twice and skied for a day in Les Saisies. Great place.

we discovered it about 9years ago in late summer and instantly loved the place. Decided to return to see what the skiing was like (bearing in mind that it was known for its Nordic loops for the 92 Olympics) and couldn't quite believe it was so quiet!

I have skied as early as the 9th December and as late as I think the 3rd May and it always had decent quality of snow. The village is fantastic and friendly, views to die for and snow depths and quality which in my experience (i know its only 9 years of skiing at least once per season in the place but hey...) regularly beats better known resorts.

Personally we seek out smaller, characterfull places rather than going to big resorts full of Brits. No offence but when i go away, i like to feel in the main that i am away from GB snowHead

regarding the no uk tour operators, in the main thats true though Erna Low book some accommodation I think. We have always booked with a local Immobilier. Can thoroughly recommend a couple if interested....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon, Yes no snow in Morzine. The webcam for Les gets (through skiinfo.fr) has snow at mid station
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chappers, it would seem you need things spelling out for you dont you.

south african snow cannons can, our snow cannons cant, they are not the same! rolling eyes you have to have special cannons to work at that temp, and i doubt that anywhere in the alpes has any.

The point was irritirated to me this morning with some more bad news about what is actually going on up top.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Michael 37, I have noticed for the past year or so, is the most accurate of the weather gurus on that forum (as he notes himself.....).

Unless I'm mistaken Michael is a professonal weather forecaster on the side.

la Grenouille is pretty good: http://geo.hmg.inpg.fr/mto/mto38.shtml
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, accept that is to warm at moment - but when the temp drops surely they should then run them? Ok some will melt. but based on the observations in garden at home over the years, 1 inch melts quickly, 6 inches takes longer. Therefore if they build as big a base as poss, surely some will stick around through the warm period to act as base for snow when it arrives?

Obviously I am taking the optomisitc view point and have no knowledge of the subject whatsoever wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris, I'm with you. (and also blissfully ignorant Very Happy ). BTW over 30cms now forecast for Tignes/Val by Saturday, and the temperature 'rise' is not looking so great. Maybe the new stuff will stick arounf a while Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sheer bloody-minded optimism will see us through! We need not concern ourselves with egg-heads' predictions or worry about science.

We want snow, we think snow, we dream snow and we shall sodding well have snow - or else!

snowHead snowHead
latest report
snowangel. wrote:
Chappers, it would seem you need things spelling out for you dont you.

south african snow cannons can, our snow cannons cant, they are not the same! rolling eyes you have to have special cannons to work at that temp, and i doubt that anywhere in the alpes has any.

The point was irritirated to me this morning with some more bad news about what is actually going on up top.

Snowangel, spell it out if you want but you are still talking boll.ocks NehNeh

Look at you orignial post. If you do you will see, it says 'snowcannons'. The use of this term is a general one and not possesive in any way. It doesnt mention 'yours' 'ours' 'south african's' etc.

Therefore your post basically says that 'no snow cannon in the whole world can produce snow at temps above -4C'.

Which as I have said is complete and utter crap.

Here is a link from our good friends 'wikipedia' who will also tell you, you are talking rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_cannon

Cool
snow report
Kaiser, rock on! Laughing
snow report
Chappers, snowangel., are you two trying to outdo me and Tim Bore on this thread for the 'most argumentative s*ds of the week ' award? Laughing Laughing

(if so, you need to start name-calling about now! Laughing )
ski holidays
snowangel., would you like to share the bad news with us, or do we have to gues?
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
Chappers, snowangel., are you two trying to outdo me and Tim Bore on this thread for the 'most argumentative s*ds of the week ' award? Laughing Laughing

(if so, you need to start name-calling about now! Laughing )

Unfortunately and probably yes Laughing

I don't do name calling. Im sure snowangel is a nice person but its good to discuss differing opinions. NehNeh
latest report
Kramer, We've just bought our sons t-shirts from FatFace that say "Better a bad day in the Mountains, than a good day in School" Very Happy Hear, Hear!
snow conditions
Chappers, We all (well most of us) read about the SA cannons last year and I took the article (thanks PG and MSS) to the DAL here as I thought it was very interesting, partiularly for summer use on the glacier. since then I've heard (but don't know if it's true) that the cost of running these cannons is prohibitive in ski resort terms and that they require an awful lot of chemicals ...

So back to square one: most, if not all of the cannons in use in the alps are not able to make snow at temps above 0deg and probably not even that warm. This morning it was 5deg on my balcony at 08.00 .... Snow cannons are expensive to run, waste water and electricity, and if it's going to be wasted effort to run them it would be irresponsible of the resort to do so.

The snow will come eventually - I'm just hoping that all holiday skiers at Xmas who go to SC don't end up coming here by bus .... Shocked Shocked In which case the Good Ski Guide man will come along and complain about the lift queues here - bl**dy cheek! Hes does that sort of thing. rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

I'm just hoping that all holiday skiers at Xmas who go to SC don't end up coming here by bus

Yes, that's the downside of being in a place with good snow - when it's rubbish everywhere else those few places get horribly crowded.
latest report
So far my weather guess earlier this week has been spookily accurate... snow on Weds then warming up again on Friday... with more snow to come Sat/Sun/Mon... here's hoping the last bit comes off. As Brian and snowhound have pointed out, the GFS ensembles are backing off a bit on the warm temps next week (more so for Austria/Germany than France, it appears at the moment, but it's a start...) Hopefully this will allow some cold to set in to the ground.

Unfortunately the longer term picture is still not giving anything more than slight hope for a system breakdown and a return to seasonal norms... here's hoping it starts looking that way soon for all you Christmas peeps.
ski holidays
I reckon we'll see some decent blocking before the month's out, but base that on nothing more than gut feeling - which I admit may not stand up to a double-blind investigation.
Incidentally, GFS's first Christmas day chart will be out tomorrow. FWIW wink
ski holidays
easiski, I am told by Mel that there is plenty of snow up top, but no doubt Snowangel knows better.
ski holidays
This thread is increasinly looking like a scottish skiing thread!!!
snow conditions
you punters..........

it's snowing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Tania as forecast it's dumping right now.
latest report
http://www.meteo.fr/temps/france/nivose/pics/SAISIS.html

According to this reliable source there has been over 30cms in the Beaufortain in the last 24 hours.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
The webcams are showing white now
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy